SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2007, 09:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: various,289 HiPo
Not Ranked     
Default AC pedal attachment

I have the two AC cast aluminum pedal for clutch and brake. What is the method for attachment to the pedal arms. My arms are steel bar stock approximately 3/8" across. The pedals are welded on. I was thinking of drilling a pivot hole in the back of the AC pedals, cutting a slot and mounting them on the arms.
Any ideas? Any photos?
Thanks in advance.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:58 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

I put bolts through the pad holes and clamped the heads into a vice to slot the back of it in a mill. Then turned them on their side and drilled them as you're suggesting. I have also heard some guys slotted the back by ganging a lot of hacksaw blades together. Check my gallery for a couple of pics.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR #4227, 302; About to take delivery on B&B Street Coupe (Daytona)
Not Ranked     

I removed the stock pads from the pedals and then bolted the ACs to one side or the other of the stock arm. It helped in getting the pedal spacing where I wanted it.
On the other had a friend removed the entire boss off of the back of the ACs and then bolted the ACs to the stock pad.
Kind of an "I think I want to do it this way" option. We get the chance to decide a lot of those, don't we?
Good Luck
Old 11-20-2007, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

You don't even have to gang-up the blades, just make 3 cuts and the 'ribs' left over will pop out with a screwdriver blade. Then use a file to clean up. Only took a few minutes to do both.
Oh yeah, drill the holes first.
Old 11-23-2007, 04:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley, '67 Cobra, 1966 427 sideoiler, 2x4s, w/NASCAR toploader
Not Ranked     
Default AC Pedals

I did a similar prep on mine prior to installation, but I took it a step further. Since the pedal arms on the clutch swing quite a bit I wanted to make the pedals pivot on the arms, but I wanted them to "hang" at the same angle when not in use.

I cut a notch on the top side (edge) of the arm about 3/4 inch to 1 inch above the end of the arm. The notch needs to be at an angle to allow a small compression spring to slip over the point created by the notch. The other end of the spring fits into a small recess that you drill into the back of the pedal, above the pivot point. The only part of this that is tedious at all is to make sure the end of the arm that slips into the grove at the pivot point is ground at the proper angle to provide a "stop" that the pedals rest against when not in use. You need to be sure to use a compression spring long enough to compress enough to keep the portion of the pedal below the pivot point, against the "stop". Of course you want both pedals to "stop" at the same angle so the stop angles on the end of the arms must be the same.

It took longer to think this out and draw it up than to do it. The result is well worth the little extra effort. The pedals pivot with your foot as they are depressed making for more comfort and a more positive feel. If you need a sketch of this, I can probably draw one up and email it to you.

Good luck, Bob
Old 11-23-2007, 05:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

The design built into all ERAs...