View Single Post
Old 12-02-2007, 06:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     
Default CR Rear suspension mods

Hi All,

I thought I'd start a thread to doccument some of the rear suspension changes I'm making to my Classic Revival chassis.

Here's a pic I snapped this morning of the trial fitting of a tubular lower control arm I've been working on. I built a Jig based on the original cast steel AU ford arm. The jig allows me to buld a lower arm in original length or 50mm shorter. Narrowing the rear end 50mm on each side will give me a bit more dish on the rear wheels and look heaps better.

The new arms are made from 4130 Chrome Molly tube and are significantly lighter than the original Ford arms. I'm hoping to cut 30KG out of the rear of the car with this setup. This is all unsprung weight too which should give the shocks and springs a better chance of controling the wheel.

I'm just working out the positioning of the new shock mounts at the moment so the arm will be in and out while I work out where everything should go.

Part of the new design is to remove the bump steer in the rear suspension that is a left over of the Ford design. I should be able to tune it out completely with this setup.

This arm design also alows me to adjust the camber from the bittom of the upright as well as the top. This will help with maintaining the right ammount of plunge on the rear axles.

Cheers

Last edited by Aussie Mike; 12-05-2007 at 06:13 PM..