View Single Post
Old 02-27-2008, 10:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     
Default Baz's Build update.

The stainless steel dash board has been cut out and all the required holes drilled. I then took the dash, gear selector knob and seats to the trimmers.

Then the fun started. I had to pick the leather for the entire trim of the cockpit and also the carpet for the floor pan, mats and boot. I thought this was going to be easy as I knew exactly what I wanted. I finally decided on a light tan leather which didn't show a large quantity of grain. It blends in well with my metallic turquoise duco and it looked great. I then picked a carpet which was slightly darker in colour than the leather. It appeared of good quality too.

The trimmer then told me that I had picked English Connolly Leather which is used to trim Rolls Royces and English Wilton Carpet which is also used on 'Rollers'. He then told me the price per metre of each. ($120) &
($95) respectively After the paramedics revived me, I decided then and there that a Cobra was a better vehicle than a Rolls, so why shouldn't I pay $3K for the leather and $500 for the carpet + underlay + padding + consul + labour + Tax.

I'm having the dash padded with 6mm foam so my white faced VDO gauges will be pulled in slightly onto the leather. The gear selector system is a secret at this time. I'm sure you will be impressed when you see the finished product. I'll post some pics when they are trimmed.

I had to drop in to our local GM dealer to find out how to dismantle my Tiptronic Gear Selector as I am changing the grey vinyl pad on the front of the selector handle to leather which matches the rest of my trim.

Parked in the dealers yard was a new 2008 Nissan Navara twin cab ute. Nothing unusual about that, but it was painted in almost the exact colour duco which I am using on my Cobra. It's certainly not as brilliant as my colour. My turquoise has considerably more silver metallic pearl, and is also flow coated. It didn't have the obigitory metallic silver/grey GT stripes running down the centre either.

Baz