Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 02-27-2008, 10:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     
Default Baz's Build update.

The stainless steel dash board has been cut out and all the required holes drilled. I then took the dash, gear selector knob and seats to the trimmers.

Then the fun started. I had to pick the leather for the entire trim of the cockpit and also the carpet for the floor pan, mats and boot. I thought this was going to be easy as I knew exactly what I wanted. I finally decided on a light tan leather which didn't show a large quantity of grain. It blends in well with my metallic turquoise duco and it looked great. I then picked a carpet which was slightly darker in colour than the leather. It appeared of good quality too.

The trimmer then told me that I had picked English Connolly Leather which is used to trim Rolls Royces and English Wilton Carpet which is also used on 'Rollers'. He then told me the price per metre of each. ($120) &
($95) respectively After the paramedics revived me, I decided then and there that a Cobra was a better vehicle than a Rolls, so why shouldn't I pay $3K for the leather and $500 for the carpet + underlay + padding + consul + labour + Tax.

I'm having the dash padded with 6mm foam so my white faced VDO gauges will be pulled in slightly onto the leather. The gear selector system is a secret at this time. I'm sure you will be impressed when you see the finished product. I'll post some pics when they are trimmed.

I had to drop in to our local GM dealer to find out how to dismantle my Tiptronic Gear Selector as I am changing the grey vinyl pad on the front of the selector handle to leather which matches the rest of my trim.

Parked in the dealers yard was a new 2008 Nissan Navara twin cab ute. Nothing unusual about that, but it was painted in almost the exact colour duco which I am using on my Cobra. It's certainly not as brilliant as my colour. My turquoise has considerably more silver metallic pearl, and is also flow coated. It didn't have the obigitory metallic silver/grey GT stripes running down the centre either.

Baz
Old 02-27-2008, 11:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Absolute Pace
Not Ranked     

Looks good Baz.

I think it will look a little better than my temporary interior - carpet roll was $55 from the Summernats, and $70 worth of "pleather" from the trimmers supplies place at Botany!

Ben
Old 02-27-2008, 11:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beejay View Post
Looks good Baz.

I think it will look a little better than my temporary interior - carpet roll was $55 from the Summernats, and $70 worth of "pleather" from the trimmers supplies place at Botany!

Ben
Ripped off Ben. $30 roll of carpet from the Bendigo swap meet for me. Still looking good after almost a year (still rolled up and leaning against the back wall of the shed)

Cheers

Old 02-28-2008, 01:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Mmmm plain old aluminium..

Baz, sounds like you are making good progress. The colours and combination sounds great.
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 02-28-2008, 01:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC, carb 347 TopLoader and Jag running gear ~ so old school I time it with an hour-glass :D
Not Ranked     

Quote:
...$30 roll of carpet from the Bendigo swap meet for me...
Looxury!

20 x 20cm patch of discarded carpet stuck over the back of some pop-rivets for me.

(protects the left calf - guess they're for the heat shielding)

LoudBelly
Old 02-28-2008, 09:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

Right!

When I was a boy we'd have given anything to have just a few threads of carpet in our cobra.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron02 View Post
Right!

When I was a boy we'd have given anything to have just a few threads of carpet in our cobra.

When you've waited 45 years for your Cobra, you've had plenty of time to think about what will go into it when the big day comes. The big day is here!

Baz.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB,Ford Tickford 302 220kw with BTR 4 speed auto, 3.9:1 LSD
Not Ranked     

No Worries Baz, I was just jumping on the Monty Python Theme. I'm just making up my mind on how to cover my dash and console (going to try it myself) Difficult decision.

Yours should look mighty fine.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron02 View Post
No Worries Baz, I was just jumping on the Monty Python Theme. I'm just making up my mind on how to cover my dash and console (going to try it myself) Difficult decision.

Yours should look mighty fine.
Cameron,

Good luck with your choice. I know what you are going through. My philophosophy is that the duco and trim have to be spot on, as this is what people see. They don't see what's under the bonnet until you show them.

On a lighter note, I'll tell you a little motoring story that will probably go down in my epitath. I've always been a bit of a rev head. I brought my first car in 1959. It was a 1938 Morris 840 2 door with a rag top. The first thing I did was take the little 4 cylinder out and stick in a flat head Ford V8. On it's first outing, it rolled and was written off.

That car really had some potential, but lacked a little in the handling department. The braking wasn't all that good either. The 8" unassisted drum brakes with no booster didn't seem to pull it up too well from anything over 15mph.

I was only doing about 40mph when she went over on a smooth right hander . It rolled onto it's nearside. Unfortunately, my cousin was sitting in the passengers side on that side and ended up with severe abrasions to his bum when the roadway wore through the plastic side curtains. I suppose me being on top of him wouldn't have helped either.

Three years later, I saw a picture of my first Cobra and the rest is now history.

In between, I acquired a 1940 model Ford 2 Door sedan which I chopped and channelled 10". It would take about 6 goes at a 3 point turn to do a U Turn. It was a fun car and certainly looked the part, hand painted in bright irrodescent red. The chicks loved it. When you went through tight right or left hand bends, the body would move over and rub on the tires, filling the cabin with tire smoke which choked the occupants in the back. They couldn't do much about it as being a 2 door, the rear windows didn't open. If it was raining, the wash from the road would enter the cabin through the hole where the gear selector lived. Ah yes. Those were the days. I told you it was a fun car. In actual fact, when I sold it, it was the only car that I have ever made money on.

Then I brought my 1964 Holden 179 EH Wagon. This was my Cobra replacement, similar to little children with their security blanket. I spent heaps on this car. Being single helped. 14.7 for the quarter mile running a standard bore wasn't bad with a production 3 speed column shift. It had heaps of carbys hanging off the side, big valves, massive valve springs, rigid suspension, idle ever 5 seconds cam, ported & polished head and the greatest twin exhaust system which bellowed in the Sydney Airport Tunnel when the cam cut in around 3,000 rpm.

I had that great vehicle until 1969 when my good wife and I married and we built a house. Unfortunately the EH had to go and I was forced to back trade to a standard 'wouldn;t pull the skin off a custard' FB Holden with baby seat.

Things have improved significantly for me since then. I can now afford to fulfil my dreams. You never know. When I've finished the Cobra, there might a Daytona and a GT40 in my garage. Dreams do come true if you wait long enough.

Baz

Now you know
Old 02-29-2008, 12:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OMG

Funny stuff, amazingly your still alive.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

BAZ,
I was born in 58.
First car was a Datsun 1600 import with the crossover wipers. Hotted it up with a 3/4 racecam and dual sidedraught webbers, lowered and flared guards with the uma-rocket paint job....not a chick magnet. the cops loved it. Never defected despite 16 mpg and one hotdog muffler. (I used to enjoy a particular lane just off Hunter street in Newcastle for the "reverberations")Mostly speed fines. The suspension on that thing is the only reason I am still alive.
The next toy was a registered dune buggy... 1800 VW engine and could wheelstand at the traffic lights. Mr plod didn't like that one. it has steering brakes that made cornering so much fun that I often went back and did it again. Girlfriends seemed to dissapear after that move ? It was that time I saw a Cobra in a hot rod magazine and decided to find out what this monster was all about. not easy when computers weren't around. The 0-100-0 in 13 secs stats did the trick. + the shape + the noise + the legends. Mine mightn't do the 0-100-0 trick ( i'm yet to see how it goes) but it is a copy of one of the rare vehicles that have made a mark in the history of automobile excess.
There's no simple explanation to the "uneducated" why a Cobra is the "preferred" vehicle !
As you said. . .Dreams do come true if you wait long enough.
Smithy
Old 02-29-2008, 01:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Here's the Monty Python Sketch

Funny stuff

Cheers

Old 02-29-2008, 02:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Mike View Post
Here's the Monty Python Sketch

Funny stuff

Cheers
Thanks Aussie. I've never seen that skit before. Now I know what your all posting about. I can really relate to it as I was born on the other side of the tracks. Now I'm what they call a 'Baby Boomer'. Well I'll be booming a lot louder when I give my Cobra it's first kick in the guts and hear those side pipes yoddle.

Baz.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

luxury - I dream of having side pipes!.........

Well actually I dream of having a going car.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: