View Single Post
Old 02-28-2008, 10:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron02 View Post
No Worries Baz, I was just jumping on the Monty Python Theme. I'm just making up my mind on how to cover my dash and console (going to try it myself) Difficult decision.

Yours should look mighty fine.
Cameron,

Good luck with your choice. I know what you are going through. My philophosophy is that the duco and trim have to be spot on, as this is what people see. They don't see what's under the bonnet until you show them.

On a lighter note, I'll tell you a little motoring story that will probably go down in my epitath. I've always been a bit of a rev head. I brought my first car in 1959. It was a 1938 Morris 840 2 door with a rag top. The first thing I did was take the little 4 cylinder out and stick in a flat head Ford V8. On it's first outing, it rolled and was written off.

That car really had some potential, but lacked a little in the handling department. The braking wasn't all that good either. The 8" unassisted drum brakes with no booster didn't seem to pull it up too well from anything over 15mph.

I was only doing about 40mph when she went over on a smooth right hander . It rolled onto it's nearside. Unfortunately, my cousin was sitting in the passengers side on that side and ended up with severe abrasions to his bum when the roadway wore through the plastic side curtains. I suppose me being on top of him wouldn't have helped either.

Three years later, I saw a picture of my first Cobra and the rest is now history.

In between, I acquired a 1940 model Ford 2 Door sedan which I chopped and channelled 10". It would take about 6 goes at a 3 point turn to do a U Turn. It was a fun car and certainly looked the part, hand painted in bright irrodescent red. The chicks loved it. When you went through tight right or left hand bends, the body would move over and rub on the tires, filling the cabin with tire smoke which choked the occupants in the back. They couldn't do much about it as being a 2 door, the rear windows didn't open. If it was raining, the wash from the road would enter the cabin through the hole where the gear selector lived. Ah yes. Those were the days. I told you it was a fun car. In actual fact, when I sold it, it was the only car that I have ever made money on.

Then I brought my 1964 Holden 179 EH Wagon. This was my Cobra replacement, similar to little children with their security blanket. I spent heaps on this car. Being single helped. 14.7 for the quarter mile running a standard bore wasn't bad with a production 3 speed column shift. It had heaps of carbys hanging off the side, big valves, massive valve springs, rigid suspension, idle ever 5 seconds cam, ported & polished head and the greatest twin exhaust system which bellowed in the Sydney Airport Tunnel when the cam cut in around 3,000 rpm.

I had that great vehicle until 1969 when my good wife and I married and we built a house. Unfortunately the EH had to go and I was forced to back trade to a standard 'wouldn;t pull the skin off a custard' FB Holden with baby seat.

Things have improved significantly for me since then. I can now afford to fulfil my dreams. You never know. When I've finished the Cobra, there might a Daytona and a GT40 in my garage. Dreams do come true if you wait long enough.

Baz

Now you know