View Single Post
Old 03-03-2008, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Bad Subject Mike

VE4MM Mike I am not an author by anymeans. Looking at the cover of this book says quick scheme for being a millionaire. There are about 1,000.00 how to get rich. The other is flipping houses and the house market is in a slump. I sure the book has good reading. To much info on the front cover. Engineering is a boring subject in school. It also requires the best of minds to get into this field. It's a brutal field. Family are working at GE and building subs for the US at Groton. Ct. The Dick Smith book would not sell a million copies, I a guessing about the same or a little more than a CS book. Dick Smith touched 1,000's of people in our small Cobra world. He did the same in the Bail bonds world. Did the same in the military, Wine families, Fly medical transplant organs around the US in all kinds of weather. He was a combanation of John Wayne, AJ Foyt, Patton, and a little Foxworthy thrown in. If a cobra movie was ever made, He would be the main star. Did it the right way, the hard way, the clean way, and won in the end. I sent him a letter 2 christmas ago about how lucky he was, I cobra that was raced for 40+years and no major damage to the car or driver. The car got a new nose from some some dents. He won the trophy queen, (Heather) family life was great, buying a house in Ireland. Racing cobras, enjoying Flying with stepson. The fact that it was and honor to have known him, listen to his storys, had dinner with him at SAAC in VIR. He signed 2 pictures for me, and he was embarrassed about signing. He asked if I wanted to go for a ride in 198 and got busy and he next time. We where going to visit Heather and Dick last summer, have dinner and go for a ride. It didn't happen. I could n't attend the funeral because other half was in Europe on vacation to see the Pope. I needed to take care of the animals. The Smith Boys said years ago they where going to do a book about Dick. He was there Ambassador for FFR. You couldn't have wished for a better person. It's great they honor him with the building of the 198 car. I wish a had the money to buy one. Just to own not to drive. Even get his motor builder Joe to build a D.S. motor. I would get Wiley to sign the car. It's a shame that Dick was NOT allowed to try and win more of the History races in Cali. He would have smoke the vette's for the 50 years anniversary. Blown oil line cost him the Daytona reunion. Start last and get to 5th and loose a connection. Any way. I am happy he was my friend. Rick L.