View Single Post
Old 03-19-2008, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTxButler View Post
Lee Holman at Holman-Moody tells me that someone made a manifold for the high-riser that would accept the webbers. I plan to install fuel injection throttle bodies rather than the webbers....but that manifold seems to rare as hen's teeth. Lee told me that a gentleman from Australia had one and so I thought, why not...hoping he would see the post or someone may know him.
I believe that the original hi-riser intake was cast for the 58 mm downdraft webers, not the 48 IDA's, which had a smaller bolt pattern, although the bore centerlines I think were the same between the two carbs. I donlt know of any hi-riser intakes cast for 48IDA carbs, although if you could find an original intake for 58mm carbs, you could make an adapter plate for 48mm IDA's or throttle bodies.

Here are some pictures of what maybe you are looking for.

On the top is a new blue thunder 48mm IDA intake, with a 10 degree canted mount angle.

Below is a 1960's Hilborn Fuel injection system for a ford 427 with High Riser heads. The system consisted of two pieces, two banks of 4 throttle bores, of 2 7/16" (62mm) diameter, that are bolted to the top of the intake. I believe the intake has the 58mm weber bolt pattern and spacing. As you can see, the throttle bores are straight up, not canted at all. A somewhat rare intake. It has been polished, and no identification marks are visable. This should make alot of top end power. I unbolted one of the fuel injection throttle body castings to expose the mating surface of the intake.

As you compare the two intakes, you can see the larger bolt pattern of the 58mm weber intake, as well as the larger ports. There isn't enough of material on a 48IDA intake to redrill for a 58mm pattern.

"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."

Last edited by Anthony; 03-19-2008 at 06:27 PM..