Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-18-2008, 05:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler...488" hi-rise, dry-sump FE s/o w/stacks
Not Ranked     
Default Stack manifold for FE with high-riser heads

Calling all "down under". Word is that there is a someone in Australia that has a manifold for a stack system that fits the high-riser heads on an FE.

Sure would like to find that chap!!!! These manifolds have not been produced over the past 20 years or so, but there are some around and one is in Australia.

Hope someone can help me....thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTxButler View Post
Calling all "down under". Word is that there is a someone in Australia that has a manifold for a stack system that fits the high-riser heads on an FE.

Sure would like to find that chap!!!! These manifolds have not been produced over the past 20 years or so, but there are some around and one is in Australia.

Hope someone can help me....thanks in advance.
Hi there Rus,

Yes, your probably right. F.E.'s were made a long time ago.

From memory, they came out after the F.J., but I think your a bit out on your estimatation of 20 years since they were around. F.E.'s came out in 1957.

As for high riser heads and a manifold that has a 'Stack System' for an F.E., you've got me.

The best I've seen in our F.E.'s were Waggott ported and polished heads with twin Stronbergs, triple SU's, or a brace of side draught 48 DCOE Webbers hanging off the side and if you were really cool, a big lumpy cam.

Then again there was the top of the tree Repco Cross Flow Head and I think they tried their hand at a twin overhead cam head for the old grey motor.

I am starting to convince myself that the F.E. which your referring to and the F.E. that we all know 'down under' are two totally different vehicles.

Our F.E. was a G.M. Holden product which was released to the unsuspecting public between 1956 and 1958. It cost the equivalent of $AU2,284 new and would leap over the standing quarter in close to a day (22 seconds.) It had a massive 132.5 cubic inch (2.15 litre) engine which produced 70 bhp or 52 K/W at 4,000 rpm. Through it's 3 speed column change, it would manage 29 mph in 1st, 55 mph in 2nd and 79 mph in top.

Then again if we are talking about the same car, your high riser heads and stack system manifold may bring it's quarter mile times down to under 20 seconds.

I hope someone out there can help you more than I could, but at least you've received some free education on the F.E. haven't you?

Regards Baz

Last edited by Baz; 03-18-2008 at 11:17 PM..
Old 03-19-2008, 12:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

I think he is reffering to this FE Baz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_FE_engine

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
I think he is reffering to this FE Baz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_FE_engine

Thank's Boxhead,

I'll let you in on a little secret. Just between you and me, I knew what Rus was was referring to.

It was early in my motoring career that F.E.'s came out and I had a fair bit to do with them, but before I published the thread, I thought, 'Why not. Promote our National product if the shoe fits," which in this particular thread, it did.

Now Rus knows all about Australia's own car of the 1950's.

Rus was looking for parts for an F.E. so I gave him what I know, even though it was done with a bit of tongue in cheek.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Would the Ford F.E. V8 have been fitted to the last of the 1958 Star Model Customline, then carried through to the massive big 1960 Fairlanes with dinner plate tail lights?

Baz
Old 03-19-2008, 10:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey guys, thanks for the information....but not the motor I am working on.

My Ford FE is a 488 cubic inch Dove aluminum block with Dove aluminum high-riser heads. They made low, medium and high-riser heads. The high-risers were the ones that NASCAR banned when the Chrysler Hemi was banned.

As a result, the heads are rare. Lee Holman at Holman-Moody tells me that someone made a manifold for the high-riser that would accept the webbers. I plan to install fuel injection throttle bodies rather than the webbers....but that manifold seems to rare as hen's teeth. Lee told me that a gentleman from Australia had one and so I thought, why not...hoping he would see the post or someone may know him.

I appreciate your response and guess I will just keep looking.

Thanks
Old 03-19-2008, 10:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

sent you a pm
Old 03-19-2008, 11:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi; Does anybody have a set of highrise heads and a highrise 2x4 intake for sale. A friend is doing a clone Thunderbolt. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2008, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     

Baz

FE Holdens and FE engines - Fairlane engines Ford/Edsel's..
KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 03-19-2008, 04:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Knight View Post
Baz

Hi Bernie,

Yes. I was feeling slightly frivalous last night when I published those threads. Glad you could sense my humour.

So Hershal's gone back. How did he enjoy his little jaunt 'down under'. You certainly turned the weather on for him. Good luck and take care.

Baz.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Knight View Post
Baz

You forgot one Bernie: Freaking Expensive.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTxButler View Post
Lee Holman at Holman-Moody tells me that someone made a manifold for the high-riser that would accept the webbers. I plan to install fuel injection throttle bodies rather than the webbers....but that manifold seems to rare as hen's teeth. Lee told me that a gentleman from Australia had one and so I thought, why not...hoping he would see the post or someone may know him.
I believe that the original hi-riser intake was cast for the 58 mm downdraft webers, not the 48 IDA's, which had a smaller bolt pattern, although the bore centerlines I think were the same between the two carbs. I donlt know of any hi-riser intakes cast for 48IDA carbs, although if you could find an original intake for 58mm carbs, you could make an adapter plate for 48mm IDA's or throttle bodies.

Here are some pictures of what maybe you are looking for.

On the top is a new blue thunder 48mm IDA intake, with a 10 degree canted mount angle.

Below is a 1960's Hilborn Fuel injection system for a ford 427 with High Riser heads. The system consisted of two pieces, two banks of 4 throttle bores, of 2 7/16" (62mm) diameter, that are bolted to the top of the intake. I believe the intake has the 58mm weber bolt pattern and spacing. As you can see, the throttle bores are straight up, not canted at all. A somewhat rare intake. It has been polished, and no identification marks are visable. This should make alot of top end power. I unbolted one of the fuel injection throttle body castings to expose the mating surface of the intake.

As you compare the two intakes, you can see the larger bolt pattern of the 58mm weber intake, as well as the larger ports. There isn't enough of material on a 48IDA intake to redrill for a 58mm pattern.

"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."

Last edited by Anthony; 03-19-2008 at 06:27 PM..
Old 03-19-2008, 07:17 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the info. Is your manifold available? It would take some machine work, but I think I could resize to 48 and even cant the mounts 10 degrees. It is a nice looking manifold. You may be right about the size of all the manifolds of that day and you are right about the throttle bodies I plan to use. I will be using 50's from VeryCoolParts.com
Old 03-20-2008, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000, 427
Not Ranked     

Sorry, my manifold is not available.

However, I do know of another FI system like mine, although I don;tthink the owner is selling, as he wanted to bujy mine as well.

A couple of years ago, there was a hi-riser engine / cobra for sale with this exact set-up but converted to EFI, and I'm thinking the induction system or engine may have been separated from the car. If you can find a set up like mine, then you can use the throttle bodies as supplied, converting them to EFI.

Also, Algon made mechanical FI systems for Hi-riser heads as well, the only one I have seen had the throttle bodies (whiche were cast into the intake itself) oriented straight up.

Good luck.
"After jumping into an early lead, Miles pitted for no reason. He let the entire field go by before re-entering the race. The crowd was jumping up and down as he stunned the Chevrolet drivers by easily passing the entire field to finish second behind MacDonald's other team Cobra. The Corvette people were completely demoralized."

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: