View Single Post
Old 03-24-2008, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC FMS 351W
Not Ranked     
Default Switched to the BMW-style Reservior

On my ERA427, I had three separate reserviors. They were Girling but were made of the white semi-transparent plastic. The connections at the bottom of each reservior leaked so I switched to the combination (3 part) reservior from ERA. It is small and sits over the driver footbox. I like it much better and I removed a lot of previous owner plumbing, and fixed the leaks! It does contain a safety feature; if the fluid level from either the front or rear brake circuits fall too low (from a leak) the clutch circuit will suck in air thus signaling a non-observant driver to this potential problem with the brakes. I guess it is better to learn that your clutch is soft or does not work properly than your brakes. I remember this reservior being a BMW part number but I could be incorrect. Obviously, this reservior would not be the "original style".

BTW, I still have the three new Girling replacement reserviors that I never attempted to install after making the decision to install the combination reservior.