Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2008, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     
Default Paint Brake/Clutch reservoir cans???

I recently purchased an ERA 427 and noticed the Girling Brake/Clutch reservoir paint is coming off. What is the trick to making the paint stick to these?

Thanks.
John Grubbs
Old 03-24-2008, 02:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX 4766 (Vegas Built) with 482 Aluminum Pond motor
Not Ranked     

When you find out let me know. Down the road I think I might spring for the Kirkham cans (machined aluminum).

Not much can resist brake fluid. I have painted mine several times and they look good till i fill them with brake fluid.
Old 03-24-2008, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCSX1 View Post
When you find out let me know. Down the road I think I might spring for the Kirkham cans (machined aluminum).

Not much can resist brake fluid. I have painted mine several times and they look good till i fill them with brake fluid.
isn't that the truth, although with the aluminum cans you could have them powder coated and I don't think even brake fluid could eat through that, lol.
Old 03-24-2008, 03:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary, FE, Tremec TKO 600
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi G View Post
isn't that the truth, although with the aluminum cans you could have them powder coated and I don't think even brake fluid could eat through that, lol.
Brake fluid eats powder coating. Don't ask me how I know.....
Old 03-24-2008, 03:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks....LOL

That is what I thought. I was hoping somebody knew something I didn't.

John
Old 03-24-2008, 03:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ceramic coating? Jet hot?
Old 03-24-2008, 04:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 SC
Send a message via AIM to kris-kincaid Send a message via Skype™ to kris-kincaid
Not Ranked     

I take them to a local shop here in Vegas, http://www.ramproline.com/

They apply some special coating that will not come off with exposure to brake fluid. Pretty amazing stuff.
Old 03-24-2008, 04:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane - FE
Not Ranked     
Default Epoxy

I used a 2-part black epoxy paint used on model aircraft.

Look at this site: http://klasskote.com/index.html

Paul
Old 03-24-2008, 05:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

On a similar subject, hopefully not hijacking the thread here, I found (thanks to Jeff G.) very heavy and well made reservoirs through Moss Motors made for an Austin Healy. They look identical to the original ones. They also offer Girling decals for them. Did the originals have the Girling decals on them? Also were the originals painted black or left natural metal color? Thanks.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:24 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 767Jockey View Post
They also offer Girling decals for them. Did the originals have the Girling decals on them? Also were the originals painted black or left natural metal color? Thanks.
I put a decal on mine. It's the old-style type decal that we used to put on models as a kid. You know, you have to soak them in water and then carefully slide them on. Here's a shot of mine:

Old 03-24-2008, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427SC FMS 351W
Not Ranked     
Default Switched to the BMW-style Reservior

On my ERA427, I had three separate reserviors. They were Girling but were made of the white semi-transparent plastic. The connections at the bottom of each reservior leaked so I switched to the combination (3 part) reservior from ERA. It is small and sits over the driver footbox. I like it much better and I removed a lot of previous owner plumbing, and fixed the leaks! It does contain a safety feature; if the fluid level from either the front or rear brake circuits fall too low (from a leak) the clutch circuit will suck in air thus signaling a non-observant driver to this potential problem with the brakes. I guess it is better to learn that your clutch is soft or does not work properly than your brakes. I remember this reservior being a BMW part number but I could be incorrect. Obviously, this reservior would not be the "original style".

BTW, I still have the three new Girling replacement reserviors that I never attempted to install after making the decision to install the combination reservior.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Solution

Well you can always have them chromed, I did it to mine, and never had a problem.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra 29 View Post
On my ERA427, I had three separate reserviors. They were Girling but were made of the white semi-transparent plastic. The connections at the bottom of each reservior leaked so I switched to the combination (3 part) reservior from ERA. It is small and sits over the driver footbox. I like it much better and I removed a lot of previous owner plumbing, and fixed the leaks! It does contain a safety feature; if the fluid level from either the front or rear brake circuits fall too low (from a leak) the clutch circuit will suck in air thus signaling a non-observant driver to this potential problem with the brakes. I guess it is better to learn that your clutch is soft or does not work properly than your brakes. I remember this reservior being a BMW part number but I could be incorrect. Obviously, this reservior would not be the "original style".

BTW, I still have the three new Girling replacement reserviors that I never attempted to install after making the decision to install the combination reservior.
If your three Girling reservoirs are metal and complete with caps and fittings I would be interested in seeing if they are for sale. Please PM or email me. Thanks.