View Single Post
Old 03-26-2008, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Ford Modulars are enormous engines

Okay,

I knew that my little 4.6 (little) was small on the displacement side, but rather large on the overall size, but I didn't realize just how enormous the Ford modulars are until I was doing research for the 5.4 setup I'm doing with my cobra build.

The estimated weight of the 5.4L (DOHC) is around 540 lbs.

It's roughly 28 1/4" wide (from edge of valve cover to valve cover) 24" long and 28-35" tall from pan to top of intake (depending on the intake).

It's friggin ginormous. The 4.6 is bigger than a 429 and the 5.4 is redonkulous.

I had already picked up my engine/tranny and such for a mustang build up when I changed my mind () to go with a cobra build up. Anything to do with modulars or modern Ford stuff is a PITA and this looks to be worse.

For those of you considering doing a modular build.......don't. I'm really considering selling my engine setup and going with a nice carb'd 302. I have a mountain of money already in the thing.

It's kinda like when you have pocket aces and the flop comes out 3 of the same suit or 3 connectors. You know you oughtta lay em down, but man.....it's hard to put down pocket rockets.