View Single Post
Old 06-01-2008, 09:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattnshilp View Post
What is the difference cosmetically between an ERA and an FFR/BDR?

I can certainly understand that engineering (on the inside) makes a HUGE difference in price and quality. But shouldn't they all look pretty much the same?

My goal is to enjoy a "Cobra" style replica that I can drive down the street and feel like I am driving a little bit of Americana. If the front fender flare comes out 10 degrees instead of the real Cobra's 12 degrees, that doesn't bother me. I guess that's why I want to know what the difference is cosmetically. I need to know if the difference is enough to justify (in my case) the added expense.

And, how about safety? Are they all about the same in that regards? Will an ETA handle a crash better then an FFR?

Thanks again!

-Matt
Matt,

First stop ETA, it is ERA.

The average onlooker will either have no clue to what you are driving but think it is cool or loud or both, or they will know that it is a Cobra (and think it is cool or loud or both).

The differences in cars go beyond 10 or 12 degrees.
Here is a link from ERA that compares Superformance and ERA
http://www.erareplicas.com/427/spf.htm

You can see some of the visual differences in this link. Although even in this comparison some of the camera angles and shading make a difference.
http://www.erareplicas.com/427/profiles/index.htm

The safety difference is this, your ability as a driver. Any Cobra that get t-boned will create issues for the driver or passenger. Overall, however most hold up well. There are plenty of pictures of wrecked Cobras that will give an indication of what happens in the passenger area.

Before purchasing my car I talked to at least 10 people who had owned 2 or more brands of Cobra with one of those brands being an ERA what their thoughts were. I can only recall 1 of those people having difficulty with choosing the ERA product. I would suggest that you find people who have owned or have extensive experience with 2 or more brands. Those people can provide you real differences.

Sounds like you have time to do the research. Good luck and enjoy.

My choice was ERA. I was up at the ERA factory prior to making my decision and met a guy who I thought was picking up his new car. Turned out his car was about 17 years old. I ended up purchasing mine already built. My car is now 14 years old (from end of build) and has no problems other than me as a mechanic. I have no regrets and will probably place an order for a street version 427 within the next year.