View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default 427 engine Temperature.

OK, so again, i have a 427 centeroiler with solid lifters, 2-650cfm carbs. currently it has 370miles on it. I have a 160 degree thermostat. I have an aluminum rad ( same as Rosco)

What i am finding is that the engine temperature takes only a couple of blocks to get to 170 degrees. I have my fans running right from startup because they are manually controled. Now i only have 2 electric fans from finsihline on the front of the rad pushing air through. there is about 1.5 inches of space between the rad and fans.

So after about 2 miles i am at 190 degrees. Now going down the highway at 65 miles i stay at 190 degrees. But in a stop and go situation i am climbing to 230 degrees. Now i have never allowed it to go over that because i either head back to the nearest highway or stretch run or stop at the nearest
Tim Hortons for a coffee and wait for it to cool down. Last night after a 10 mile run i pulled into the garage at 230 degrees. Even the hood rod is hot when setting it in place. I left my fans on when i shut off the car and cooled down the water in the rad. I would start it up and bring down the temperature allowing the cooled water in the rad to enter the engine and replace the rad with hot water then shutting it off again. Kept doing it untill i got it back to 180. Took three rad fills.

I know this isn't right. Mind you it has been high ninties here in Ontario lately.