View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 05:32 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: BDR, 392CI, 430HP

Eric, I don't think you will have any problems as long as you follow the custom vehicle requirements. As someone noted, you need a padded dash and visors. Although the instructions don't note these are needed I had to send pictures of them (they were makeshift and I immediately took them off after taking the pictures). Also, you will need a picture of a backup light and the light must have an R in the DOT/SAE number. I had one with a P but was told that meant it was a parking light so I had to get one with an R. I then took that off after the picture was taken and sent to Albany. All these items remained off for the visual inspection (they are only looking for stolen parts). To avoid the emissions requirements I had the engine installer note on the invoice that it was a replacement engine for a 1965 vehicle. The guys at DMV (Tom Noonan and another guy whose name I cannot remember) were great to work with and they don't mind you calling them prior to the inspections, etc. to make sure you are in compliance. All in all not a bad experience at all. Some have noted that a Kathy/Cathy is difficult to work with but I was lucky to get Tom to begin with and I directed all correspondence to his attention after calling to make sure he was in the office. Good luck. Let me know if I can help in any way. Oh, I should mention I was registering a BDR roadster, not a GT-40.