Old 01-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     
Default Hi-Tech / CSX build update

Link with progress pics:
http://web.mac.com/browndog1/Site/Cobra_Build.html

Please feel free to comment on what you think would help. I am extremely frustrated and anxious to get this phase of the build out of the way and start completing the drivetrain.

I've been working on getting the body down onto the chassis. It has not been easy. Many sleepless nights figuring out what to do next. I have tried to keep it simple and keep the birdcage carnage to a minimum. Taking it step by step.

1. Removed all inner panels front and back.

2. Cut off birdcage tubing around doors (CSX4000 cars are completely different than original in this area). This really helped, the body came down but not all the way.

3. More tubes binding the body. I cut off the trunk tube (the one with hinge mounts) - that helped.

4. Then I cut off the bottom square tube. Why? Because the inner lip of the fiberglass was hitting the bottom tube. Cutting this off allowed the body to come down even further.

5. Finally, I did the mod shown on 'ref pic 1' on my web site. The body came down as low as it possibly can. Now the body is resting on the rubber seal on the aluminum panel (see ref pic 3 on my web site). It is not touching the tube that I bent down on the drivers side. Pass side - not as good. The bent tube is still touching the body. Yes, it allowed the body to come down, but not much. I could put a rubber pad between the body and tube.

Before any of these cuts were done, I didn't think there was a snow balls chance that the body and birdcage were going to fit (see ref pics 2 & 5). I thought those tubes needed to be cut out and replaced. Now after lots of work the body / tube gap is just 1/4" in some areas and flush in others. That's a huge relief!

I believe the best way the get the body off the corner in ref pic 4 is to bend the trunk tube up high enough so it lifts the body off the corner.

Once the trunk tubes match the body I will begin to shape the tubes I cut off to match the body.