Old 01-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     
Default Hi-Tech / CSX build update

Link with progress pics:
http://web.mac.com/browndog1/Site/Cobra_Build.html

Please feel free to comment on what you think would help. I am extremely frustrated and anxious to get this phase of the build out of the way and start completing the drivetrain.

I've been working on getting the body down onto the chassis. It has not been easy. Many sleepless nights figuring out what to do next. I have tried to keep it simple and keep the birdcage carnage to a minimum. Taking it step by step.

1. Removed all inner panels front and back.

2. Cut off birdcage tubing around doors (CSX4000 cars are completely different than original in this area). This really helped, the body came down but not all the way.

3. More tubes binding the body. I cut off the trunk tube (the one with hinge mounts) - that helped.

4. Then I cut off the bottom square tube. Why? Because the inner lip of the fiberglass was hitting the bottom tube. Cutting this off allowed the body to come down even further.

5. Finally, I did the mod shown on 'ref pic 1' on my web site. The body came down as low as it possibly can. Now the body is resting on the rubber seal on the aluminum panel (see ref pic 3 on my web site). It is not touching the tube that I bent down on the drivers side. Pass side - not as good. The bent tube is still touching the body. Yes, it allowed the body to come down, but not much. I could put a rubber pad between the body and tube.

Before any of these cuts were done, I didn't think there was a snow balls chance that the body and birdcage were going to fit (see ref pics 2 & 5). I thought those tubes needed to be cut out and replaced. Now after lots of work the body / tube gap is just 1/4" in some areas and flush in others. That's a huge relief!

I believe the best way the get the body off the corner in ref pic 4 is to bend the trunk tube up high enough so it lifts the body off the corner.

Once the trunk tubes match the body I will begin to shape the tubes I cut off to match the body.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

I guess I was in the same boat, but didn't have to remove the birdcage parts- my chassis came incomplete and didn't have the birdcage. I had to add it. After seeing your pics, I'm starting to think this was a blessing in disguise.
I set the body in place and clamped it, then I bent and tacked the birdcage in place to fit the body as exactly as I could make it. Now I will have the opposite problem you have, I'm not sure how I'm going to get the body off to finish welding all the pieces I've added.

I just wish those guys would stop by and help ME out with their expertise!

Is that a glass body or is it Carbon Fiber? The weave and color look like Carbon fiber like my body.

Keep at it! Let me know if you need any hood and trunk hinges.

Bob

Last edited by Three Peaks; 01-20-2009 at 01:57 PM..
Old 01-20-2009, 02:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Bob,
It's a CSX4000 body. I guess it's fiberglass not carbon fiber.

Regarding getting the body off the birdcage. Have you seen the CSX4000 chassis mods that allow for easier removal of the body?

The trunk tubes are removable. These are the tubes that run along the sides of the trunk opening. Don't know what they are called?

Good to hear from you, been a while.

Last edited by hi-tech cobra; 01-20-2009 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 01-20-2009, 03:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Good to hear from you. Looks like you'll be on the road soon? Progress is looking good. What did you have to do to bribe Nick into coming down to help out?

I have a buddy who has 2 of the 4000 bodys/chassis and they are substantially different from my chassis. I don't think I want to go through that much work to copy the 4000 chassis. Also, I'm not real sure all the changes were good things. Looks like expediency may have sacrificed strenth/rigidity in a few places on the new chassis. But I'm not an engineer, so what do I know?

However, when I try to take the body off in a week or two I may find myself needing to make some tough decisions (read- saws and torches)

Just finally made up some working door hinges, so I can finally bond the hoops to the doors, hood, trunk lid. Now I can finally get some progress going again.

Bob

Last edited by Three Peaks; 01-20-2009 at 03:33 PM..
Old 01-20-2009, 03:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Wow

Turned out to be a big project!
Question, there appears to be a funny looking man in a grey t-shirt who probably sounds like a New Zealand native. I heard he is an inside man for Shelby? Might even be wanted?

Have fun with the build!
Jeff
Old 01-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

No tell INS! I wasn't working, for money, that's what I do on vacation!
Hey John, I feel like I'm talking the plane down and it's finally landed safe on the ground.
Good work mister way to hang in there. I see the triangle/body touching problem and think you're right. If you can just hold it up a little with the trunk side tubes I think that will work if it's not lifting anywhere. It wouldn't go down enough with taking that short piece of sq tube out? You've got to look at holding stuff up now you've taken that much out. Don't let that tail hang off the front/top of the rear fender, they flex a lot there. Stay at it and you'll be coming up to do mine mate.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:29 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: VSE alum. frame, FFR carbonfiber body (under construction)
Not Ranked     

John, it's looking good! Give me a call if you want a hand lifting the body on and off. Oh yeah, and plenty of unsolicited advice!
John
Old 01-21-2009, 07:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bob, I can't tell you how good it feels to have Nick in my corner. He is amazing!

Jeff, yes has turned into a big project. Hopefully this frustrating part will be over soon. Don't know who that funny looking guy with the NZ accent is. He just wandered into the shop and starting making sparks fly. He will work for food.

Nick, didn't understand this: "Don't let that tail hang off the front/top of the rear fender, they flex a lot there." Can you elaborate?

John, I need all the advise I can get. See you soon.

After looking at several CSX4000 chassis pics I may have it wrong. It looks like the large tube that runs behind the cockpit and down for the door latches is actually up higher than the piece my body is hitting (see pic 1). So I might need to raise the body up a bit now. The trunk tubes might need to come off and be replaced with new tubes that support the raised body. End result: tube behind cockpit and trunk tubes firmly supporting the rear of the body.

The 4000 car bodies must be resting on the far corners of large tube (see pic 2) also look at my drawing. The drawing represents what I think are the contact areas between body and birdcage. This includes the large tube (running behind cockpit) and the trunk tubes.

Or I could just build it like a Kirkham. Forget the large tube running behind the cockpit and put in a curved one to match the contour of the body (pic 3).

Opinions? Kris you out there?
Attached Images

Last edited by hi-tech cobra; 01-21-2009 at 07:52 PM.. Reason: Add text
Old 01-21-2009, 07:48 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4772 old iron FE
Not Ranked     

The top front of the rear fenders is quite flat. If the back of the body isn't supported it will flex/stress across there. Don't break it now you've come too far. Looks like the CSX is supported by those trunk sides with the seal on top.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: