Thread: Motec
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2001, 01:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Hi Sloth,

The engine you got from Eagle is from the "F" body cars ie Camaro, Firebird etc. They have the Corvette motors as well but both are fairly similar. The main differences are the sump, engine mounts and the throttle body. The sump on the Vette motor is shallower and made from cast alloy where as the F body motor has a deeper pressed steel sump. The engine mounts on the Vette are an aluminium L shaped bracket that bolt to each side of the block near the front and the F body mounts are similar to a standard chev mount. The throttle body on the Vette is a fly by wire set up and the F body uses a conventional cable.

I don't think the Corvette motors coming into Australia are from the Calloway. Calloway I believe are a factory tuning network much like HSV. They probably massage their motors like Harrop does for the GTS 300.

Another plus with the LS1 being used by HSV it means we'll soon have a wealth of development available to us. We'll be out there doin' some serious Ford Butt Whuppin' (this should stir some people up )

Approx $6500 Eagle quoted me for the Vette motor with the 12" clutch behind it.

Wouldn't mind having a look at the mods to the shifter. I'm pretty well equiped for machining things and thought I might have a go at it myself.

350Hp should be plenty to scare the pants off me to start with. Considering most of the stockish 5.0 ford powered cars would be lucky to make 250Hp and they aren't slow.

It looks like the Cobra collecting expidition to Sydney is getting larger. I called another friend today and he wants to come along for th ride too. The more the merrier I say.

Cheers