Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2001, 08:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, Gen3 ls1, Vortech T-Trim, Motec, tremec M12, wilwood brakes.
Not Ranked     
Default Motec

HI SLOTH

THE MOTEC (M48) IS GOING TO COST ME $3900 WITH COIL EXPANDER AND OTHER BITS AND PEICES. IM GETTING MY WIRING HARNESS CUSTOM MADE SO IT LOOKS TIDY WITH NO EXCESE WIRE LEFT OVER ALSO LOOKING AT FITTING TRACKTION CONTROL AT THE SAME TIME SO I CAN DIAL UP THE PERCENTAGE OF WHEEL SPIN WHICH WILL BE HEEPS OF FUN POWER SLIDING OUT OF CORNERS, SHOULD BE GETTING FITTED IN THE NEXT 3 WEEKS.

CRAIG W
Old 10-27-2001, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival, LS1, T56.
Not Ranked     
Default Thanks

cheers Craig. Motec definately have the name amongst racing types. Expensive comparitively though. Thanks for the info though. I should get my car towards the end of November, a little later than expected as i changed my mind on a few things (paint). not to worry though, as it has given me more time to suss out computers and the like. I had my gearbox modified to put the shifter in he right spot. It is a corvete 6 speed, and needed the shifter moved forward about 120mm. a nice little machining job for those involved, and a nice (extraordinary) item on my budget!!!

Hope you are well.

cheers
Old 10-28-2001, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Hey Sloth,

This must be your chassis I snapped a pic of last time I was at CR. Have you seen where your car is up to since this shot?

My body/chassis should be ready by the end of November as well. Me and a friend are thinking we'll drive my F100 up with a tandem on the back to collect it. It would be nice to catch up with some of you NSW Classic Revival guys when I'm up there.

Cheers

Old 10-28-2001, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

cheers Mike, it is. Now has diff in, steering rack on, waiting on rotors for the roller to be ready. Also a paint job for the body which is now ready. drop me a line if you like when you are coming - 0412 106 563. I should be able to depending on the day and meetings, that sort of stuff.

Looking forward to the car being in the shed though!!

thanks for the photo. i have not gone digital yet as i cannot work the scanner on this PC (it is an old one).
Old 10-31-2001, 04:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Your motor and Gerabox

Sloth, where did you pick up the Gen 3 motor from and how much did it set u back I presume because you have the corvette box it is the calloway motor as well I think they put out about 400bhp in standard trim i think?. I am looking at going the same combination as you Classic revival with Gen 3 motor value for money bang for buck and lightness are all pretty hard to beat at the moment. Unfortunately i dont think that ford has anything remotely close what do you think?

Cheers,

Adam
Adelaide
Old 10-31-2001, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's 4 of us now. At this rate we'll be able start our own LS1 Cobra club.

Cheers

Old 10-31-2001, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

bang for buck, you can't beat the Chev! I got it from Michael at Eagle auto in Melbourne. 03 9793 5544. You can also get them from Suburban Imports Sydney (Gary - 9905 8288), but they are a little different. My understanding is the one I got is not the calloway, but the Corvette engine? That is as far as i got, It does have the Vette box, although Eagles adapted the bellhousing to suit. Motor and Tranny cost around $10K, without starter, mounts, alternator etc, and i am spending another 1500 to modify the box so the shifter is in the right spot. I am not into machining!!! The box was a GM test box, which explains the good price (5950 engine/ 3800 gearbox and clutch and bellhousing).

I think the ones at suburban were calloway's, and cobra.au would confirm this if he reads it...

As for HP, it should give me 350 no problems at all, which will do nicely for starters, and more with some more cash. I am looking forward to it though.....

cheers
Old 11-01-2001, 01:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hi Sloth,

The engine you got from Eagle is from the "F" body cars ie Camaro, Firebird etc. They have the Corvette motors as well but both are fairly similar. The main differences are the sump, engine mounts and the throttle body. The sump on the Vette motor is shallower and made from cast alloy where as the F body motor has a deeper pressed steel sump. The engine mounts on the Vette are an aluminium L shaped bracket that bolt to each side of the block near the front and the F body mounts are similar to a standard chev mount. The throttle body on the Vette is a fly by wire set up and the F body uses a conventional cable.

I don't think the Corvette motors coming into Australia are from the Calloway. Calloway I believe are a factory tuning network much like HSV. They probably massage their motors like Harrop does for the GTS 300.

Another plus with the LS1 being used by HSV it means we'll soon have a wealth of development available to us. We'll be out there doin' some serious Ford Butt Whuppin' (this should stir some people up )

Approx $6500 Eagle quoted me for the Vette motor with the 12" clutch behind it.

Wouldn't mind having a look at the mods to the shifter. I'm pretty well equiped for machining things and thought I might have a go at it myself.

350Hp should be plenty to scare the pants off me to start with. Considering most of the stockish 5.0 ford powered cars would be lucky to make 250Hp and they aren't slow.

It looks like the Cobra collecting expidition to Sydney is getting larger. I called another friend today and he wants to come along for th ride too. The more the merrier I say.

Cheers

Old 11-01-2001, 04:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The box should be back next week. Now that he has developed the bit, you should be able to get one for less than i paid. Thanks for the info on the engine, i really have little idea on these sorts of things, which i guess exposes me in some ways. Just an honest country upbringing. I do know that 350HP in a car less than 1 tonne is VERY cool.

Let me know when you will be up for the collection, and email / ring me if you need any more info on the box. Ian has my number.

cheers