View Single Post
Old 02-04-2009, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 931 mangled in parkinglot incident - traded for new house roof <sob>
Not Ranked     

I'm back guys, they said I had a "brakedown". What do those damn doctors know anyway. It all started when I had a dream that I got another F.inally E.xtinct big block engine. This time I put fuel injection on it and could not git it to run right. Those big rods went round and round until there was a F.atal E.xtraction so I dropped the b!tch in the lake for a bouy. What a turd! Thanks for dragging me in this pile of crap.

McVette

dont get me started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_R View Post
I'll put one of my "good" FE engine up against a comparable displacement small block any day. Actually I have - at the Engine Masters. And my FE stuff comes out looking pretty darn competitive against any design out there. Anything that can be done to a small block for enhanced performance or efficiency can be equally applied to an FE. The FE has a BETTER valve angle than a small block by a bunch. The BT high riser heads address the low floor position nicely. I can get at least equal compression with a flat piston since my chambers are very small by big block measurements - I've been as small as 66cc.

At a rules mandated 434 inches in 2006 we were right in the upper/middle of the pack - the canted valve CHI combo was obviously in the sweet spot - something like 7 of the top ten. But if I recall correctly, there were NONE of the traditional wedge headed small block Ford engines ahead of me. So much for superiority.

In both 2007 and 2008 we were alowed to build to any OE displacement (+ a few cubes for boring), and scores were factored by cubic inches. Again we fared pretty well with the old FE both years. Take out the incredibly talented, well financed & researched Kaase and Bischoff entries and we are doing just fine for bunch of Detroit street rats. We have always been in the top few on horsepower - old racers tend to go big!

If you're gonna use the EMC as a reference - and it ain't a bad one with impartial scoring, many OE compatable components, and pump gas as requirements - then you either build a Cleveland headed small block - or something else. The popular wedge headed small block ain't in the hunt. That ought to tick a few guys off (I actually like small blocks, but since he's bashing my specialty I'll take a chunk out).

The difference between a 427 Windsor and a 427 FE is that the small block car keeps his hood shut at shows - badge envy!

Obviously I have a bias.