View Single Post
Old 05-31-2009, 04:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Replace the amp meter with a volt meter

trudelit First off, I don't own a SPF car but a charging system is a charging system. To start with your amp gauge is a 60 amp, plus to minus sides? if yes IMO the ALT is putting out too much ampage through the gauge. I run a 70 amp alt in my car and everything except the starter cables seam to go through this gauge. It takes spikes in the 100 amp range when things are turning on. The original car ran a 45-60 system max. I am going to a 120amp charging system. I am replacing the amp meter with a voltage gauge. If you think about it, you don't see any more cars running amp gauges, they have all gone to volts. It's simple to hook up, you can splice or bolt the wires togeather behind the old gauge. This will tell you better about how you charging system is working. You want to see about a 13.5-14.3 steady range. Autometer makes a cobra gauge that looks like an orginal You are spinning under size pulleys and this is causing your charging problem too. You need a 1-1 ratio for the alt and water pump to work in the correct specs. If you can get the speed up on your alt this will also solve your problem. ASP in Texas can make you a custom crank pulley in 48 hours. This may be the cheaper way to go. I ran march pulleys and had the same problem at idle withthe system not charging and the motor running a little hot. Good luck Rick L.