View Single Post
Old 06-04-2009, 03:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default I use double glued exhaust gaskets

cobraman428 I use a double gasket of the cheap Felpros or Mr Gasket ones. Add a thin coat of Hi temp RTV from Permatex on both sides. Tight the bolts together starting at the ends. Do the final torque spec from the middle ones out both ways. I slot the 2 ends so the gasket drops in with the end bolts on. If you have a problem with this get longer bolts and work from the center out. When done, let the RTV setup for 12 hours, don't fire up the motor until this time. Also have car outside and not in garage, bad smell, and some smoke. Do a couple of 5-10 runs and let cool off, no full throttle runs. You you keep loosing gaskets, you could have one of 2 problems, either the surfaces are not flat on the header flanges or too much back pressure in the exhaust. Check the holes in the flange of the header to clearance of each bolt to the hole, there should be about 1/8 of front to back play. If not, this will bind and pinch the flange. This could cause it to warp enough to also cause gasket failures again. Try and check the flange with a straight edge piece of steel and see if everything is good. Rick L.