View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     
Default Taurus Cooling Fan Install

Thiis is the 2-speed high outut fan known on the web in offroad and hot rod forums as the "Taurus Fan." It has 16 " swept blades and is mounted in a shroud. Its roughly 22.5" x17"x4" and I paid $50 for it on fleaBay.

This is a very nice relay pack made by Dave at Hollister Road here in Houston. It uses Waytek hi-temp heavy gauge wire and has two relay circuits, one for each fan speed. :

And this is the fan temporarily installed in my car:

I mounted the relay pack under the passenger side behind the dash and the wiring runs along the passenger side panel and down to the fan. The relays are powered from the battery lug on the starter. The low-speed circuit is wired into an inline 180* SPAL-type temperature switch installed in my upper radiator hose between my expansion tank and my rop radiator inlet. I am still trying to figure out where to locate the 195* temp switch for the fan's high-speed circuit but for now, I have a wire running from the high-speed wire in the relay pack over to what was previously my Lucas heater blower switch, which is now officially my hi-fan switch. So when I flip that switch it works just like the 195* temp switch will work; it grounds the circuit and kicks on the fan's high speed circuit.

I have only temporarily mounted the fan. If it works the challenge will be to fab up a decent mounting system. The fan blows like a friggin' hurricane, you could grind meat with the high speed. Unfortunately I had removed my oil pan this week and sent it back to Armando to resolve my rear main bolt clearance issue so I can't test the fan system yet. I'l post up the outcome once I get the pan back next week.

Last edited by elmariachi; 06-27-2009 at 03:29 PM..