SUPPORT OUR SPONSOR

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Cobra Tech Areas > Shop Talk

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2009, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     
Default Taurus Cooling Fan Install

Thiis is the 2-speed high outut fan known on the web in offroad and hot rod forums as the "Taurus Fan." It has 16 " swept blades and is mounted in a shroud. Its roughly 22.5" x17"x4" and I paid $50 for it on fleaBay.

This is a very nice relay pack made by Dave at Hollister Road here in Houston. It uses Waytek hi-temp heavy gauge wire and has two relay circuits, one for each fan speed. :

And this is the fan temporarily installed in my car:

I mounted the relay pack under the passenger side behind the dash and the wiring runs along the passenger side panel and down to the fan. The relays are powered from the battery lug on the starter. The low-speed circuit is wired into an inline 180* SPAL-type temperature switch installed in my upper radiator hose between my expansion tank and my rop radiator inlet. I am still trying to figure out where to locate the 195* temp switch for the fan's high-speed circuit but for now, I have a wire running from the high-speed wire in the relay pack over to what was previously my Lucas heater blower switch, which is now officially my hi-fan switch. So when I flip that switch it works just like the 195* temp switch will work; it grounds the circuit and kicks on the fan's high speed circuit.

I have only temporarily mounted the fan. If it works the challenge will be to fab up a decent mounting system. The fan blows like a friggin' hurricane, you could grind meat with the high speed. Unfortunately I had removed my oil pan this week and sent it back to Armando to resolve my rear main bolt clearance issue so I can't test the fan system yet. I'l post up the outcome once I get the pan back next week.

Last edited by elmariachi; 06-27-2009 at 03:29 PM..
Old 06-27-2009, 04:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

El, that sure looks real sweet, sorta like it was made to be there I'm waiting with baited breath for the road test and 20 minute @ 100deg outside temp idling marathon results. Thanks for all the pioneering.

I see Dave's 2 hi-amp relays are rated for 40 amps continuous with a 60 amp peak load. I'm still half way tempted to build my own relay pack with 60 amps continuous and a 75 amp peak rated relays. I'd also use number 8, vice number 10 as Dave did. Ya just can't have too big a wire.....still mulling that one over.

Dave
Old 06-27-2009, 06:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by undy View Post
El, that sure looks real sweet, sorta like it was made to be there Dave
It fits very well, though I am going to trim the edge off of the shroud from what would be the left side of the pic above so it looks more symmetrical. I haven't had much experience wiring relays so I went with Dave's Hollister setup. After looking at how they are wired, its a no-brainer and I'll be building my own from now on.

As you know, the motor on this thing is massive and much more powerful than a SPAL or Zirgo 16" fan. I am very excited to get it going.
Old 06-27-2009, 06:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A CSX Cobra,1966 GT350 and an '06 Ford Heritage GT
Not Ranked     

Very similar to the Mark VIII fan, except the M8 is 18". The M8 fan fit my car beautifully. If I am not mistaken they use the same motor.
I like the aluminum surround treatment above...very clean and professional.

Last edited by 427sharpe; 06-27-2009 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: Need a new keyboard; this one can't spell!
Old 06-27-2009, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427sharpe View Post
Very similar to the Mark VIII fan, except the M8 is 18". The M8 fan fir my car beautifully. If I am not mistaken they use the same motor.
I like the aluminum surround treatment above...very clean and professional.
Actually, its just temp mounted using my 4 existing bolts and some thin 1" aluminum straps to keep it immobile. If it works as I planned, I will redo that top aluminum piece to fold over and come down to the top edge of the shroud, then do the same on the bottom. Right now I have about 1" top and bottom with core showing.

I think you are correct about the Mk VIII fan. Can you post up a pic of yours?

Thanks.

Last edited by elmariachi; 06-28-2009 at 02:07 PM..
Old 06-28-2009, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default ford thunderbird cooling fa

here is a picture of a 1997 ford thunderbird 2 speed setting electric fan I installed in my 428 c.i. - 400 HP cobra. On a 95 degree day, I can let the cobra idle for hours and the engine does not go above 180 degrees.
Attached Images

GT Trooper likes this.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobraman428 View Post
here is a picture of a 1997 ford thunderbird 2 speed setting electric fan I installed in my 428 c.i. - 400 HP cobra. On a 95 degree day, I can let the cobra idle for hours and the engine does not go above 180 degrees.

It looks like the T-Bird uses the same fan as the Lincoln MK VIII, 18" fan.

Dave
Old 06-28-2009, 10:55 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cobraman428;
Did you plumb for both speeds? I just use the hi, run directly to a toggle switch. I would have run to a t-stat, but use the 'off' to warm the car up when it's cold outside. That doesn't happen much now...104 in the shade today in N Texas
Old 06-28-2009, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default fan

I wired the fan on the high setting only and to a toggle switch with a relay. It is not tied into an automatic thermostat but might if I ever get around to it. I just keep an eye on the temp guage when sitting in traffic and bump the switch on if i see it creeping up. The 18" fan works awesome. I had to do some trimming on the shroud with a sabre saw but looks sweet !! The fan blades are only about 3/4" from the radiator fins. It had to be this tight because otherwise it would interfere with the rack & pinion steering.
I had the idea of using this fan from a wrecked 97 T-bird because the V-8 Ford T-bird would always sit in traffic with air conditioning on and never overheat??? I thought damm, why not try it on the cobra ! The results were very surprising and cost nothing.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
El, that sure looks real sweet, sorta like it was made to be there I'm waiting with baited breath for the road test and 20 minute @ 100deg outside temp idling marathon results. Thanks for all the pioneering.

I see Dave's 2 hi-amp relays are rated for 40 amps continuous with a 60 amp peak load. I'm still half way tempted to build my own relay pack with 60 amps continuous and a 75 amp peak rated relays. I'd also use number 8, vice number 10 as Dave did. Ya just can't have too big a wire.....still mulling that one over.

Dave
Let me jump in here,,, The Beuler relays are 60 amp constant load on the high speed side and and 40 amp constant load on the low speed side. Hence the 40/60 Single Pole Dual Throw designation. The peak spike load is 150 amps but when you use the 180 temp switch the fan motor is rolling when you hit high speed so the spike of 100 amps is greatly reduced. If you buy one and it doesn't perform send it back within 30 days and I'll give you a refund.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 427sharpe View Post
Very similar to the Mark VIII fan, except the M8 is 18". The M8 fan fit my car beautifully. If I am not mistaken they use the same motor.
The Mark VIII motor is only in a Mark VIII fan. The Taurus/Sable and Lincoln Continental share a motor on the RF125 fan but its a smaller fan than the Mark VIII. The Mark VIII is an RF123 with a bigger motor.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
It looks like the T-Bird uses the same fan as the Lincoln MK VIII, 18" fan.

Dave
TBird LX uses the same motor as an RX7 and it looks very much like a MarkVIII and has the same 18" blade. I use this one in my truck and it works great. The TBird SC is not the same, but may work just as well.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoroco View Post
The Mark VIII motor is only in a Mark VIII fan. The Taurus/Sable and Lincoln Continental share a motor on the RF125 fan but its a smaller fan than the Mark VIII. The Mark VIII is an RF123 with a bigger motor.
Very in-ter-es-ting! (Remember Laugh In?)
I used the M8 fan because I had one in my garage from a car long departed. Was cleaning out the place and thought hmmmmm when I found it. All I know for sure is that it is strong. When it's on I have a very good draft under the car, much more so than with the Spal I had. I also use 2 'pusher' oe type fans in the front (home built) and I can run very well, even in ridiculous heat like we have now. Nice to know the lady luck smiled on me for a change!
Old 06-30-2009, 03:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoroco View Post
Let me jump in here,,, The Beuler relays are 60 amp constant load on the high speed side and and 40 amp constant load on the low speed side. Hence the 40/60 Single Pole Dual Throw designation. The peak spike load is 150 amps but when you use the 180 temp switch the fan motor is rolling when you hit high speed so the spike of 100 amps is greatly reduced. If you buy one and it doesn't perform send it back within 30 days and I'll give you a refund.

Sorry Thor, don't "hammer" me for that one ... I stand corrected. In the HVAC industry sometimes relays are rated continous and peak, which is not the same as in-rush (spike). The "ratio" of your 40/60 amp rating fit that mold. That being said, it would be a no-brainer to use your setup, not worth the effort and parts to build my own ... I still don't like the #10 wire though. I know, I know ....... it's adequate for the load and length of run.

Dave
Old 07-05-2009, 01:11 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobray-C3, The 60's body lines on todays chassis technology
Not Ranked     

Hey Gang,
My engine is 540 inches and have a 30"x17" alum. rad from Be Cool. I was already very close to getting the car to live on the 180* T-stat but could still get caught once in a while so wanted a little more. I installed the Lincoln Mark 8 fan on my Cobray C3.

This fan is a real winner !!! Just got back from a 300 plus mile week-end trip that included a parade. The ambient temp was 89 degrees with a little humidity for fun. The
4th of July parade took 54 min. to cover about 4 miles with the first 1/2 hour going toward getting in line and stagging. The car never got over 205 degrees but that was after over a 1/2 hour at idle.

The install was very clean and easy. I wired up a controller per the schematic with a few of my own twists. I used 2 adjustable temp switches, 3@ 40 amp relays and a few feet of #8AWG feed wire. The low speed turns on at 155 degrees with high fan kicking in if temp reaches 185* in the block. I also shrouded air flow from the fans up and toward the engine rather than down or under the car.

I did use a parade only trick that (Bob B) told me about to reduce under hood temps. Roll up a towel and set it on the air cleaner to hold the hood open a few inches so air flows out. The hood just rested on the soft towel so no harm no foul and did not look bad from the sidelines. The Lincoln Fan kicks a$$
Old 07-05-2009, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cutting Edge Replicas, 427 World block SBF, TWM Injection
Not Ranked     

Great information. I have a new Zirgo 16" fan that is starting to make some noise, a custom aluminum fan shroud, and a Flex-a-lite Variable Speed Control unit. Was working great for about 6 months.
Can the Taurus 16" fan be removed from the plastic shroud and remounted? Anyone use the Taurus 16" fan with the Flex-a-lite Variable Speed Control unit? Hook up to high speed and let the VSC unit do the rest? Seems like a great alternative to a new $pal.
Shell Valley Daytona #27
Old 07-06-2009, 02:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by SF_SN888KE View Post
Great information. I have a new Zirgo 16" fan that is starting to make some noise, a custom aluminum fan shroud, and a Flex-a-lite Variable Speed Control unit. Was working great for about 6 months.
Can the Taurus 16" fan be removed from the plastic shroud and remounted? Anyone use the Taurus 16" fan with the Flex-a-lite Variable Speed Control unit? Hook up to high speed and let the VSC unit do the rest? Seems like a great alternative to a new $pal.
Nope, the Taurus fan's means of mounting the motor/blade is an integral part of the shroud. There's no effective way to canaballize the assembly and reuse the fan portion. You'd be better off with the whole taurus setup than your current shroud/Zirgo anyway.

BTW ... The Taurus fan is classified as a 17" fan, the Lincoln MK 8 being an 18". I measured the fan's blade diameter and it was a tad over 16". I thought it odd and then went an measured the blade on my current Flexalite "16" Back Max. It was 15". I then measured both fans' round discharge openings in their shrouds. The Taurus was 17" and the Flexalite was 16". Go figure ...

Dave
Old 07-06-2009, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Nope, the Taurus fan's means of mounting the motor/blade is an integral part of the shroud. There's no effective way to canaballize the assembly and reuse the fan portion. You'd be better off with the whole taurus setup than your current shroud/Zirgo anyway.

BTW ... The Taurus fan is classified as a 17" fan, the Lincoln MK 8 being an 18". I measured the fan's blade diameter and it was a tad over 16". I thought it odd and then went an measured the blade on my current Flexalite "16" Back Max. It was 15". I then measured both fans' round discharge openings in their shrouds. The Taurus was 17" and the Flexalite was 16". Go figure ...

Dave
I'd have to agree with that. The fan shroud and the way the motor is supported by the webbing I think is a great contributor to why this fan flows so well. You look at a Zirgo side by side and the motor webbing on the Zirgo has to be a restricting factor. They use a lot more webbing to get the fan depth down under 4". I think they measure fans like they do TV's. What ever measure is longer thats the size.
Old 07-06-2009, 10:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettestr View Post
This fan is a real winner !!! Just got back from a 300 plus mile week-end trip that included a parade. The ambient temp was 89degrees with a little humidity for fun. The 4th of July parade took 54 min. to cover about 4 miles with the first 1/2 hour going toward getting in line and stagging. The car never got over 205 degrees but that was after over a 1/2 hour at idle. The Lincoln Fan kicks a$$
This is good news. If Armando will ever send back my *&^%$ oil pan maybe I'll get a chance to test mine before winter when it drops back to 80*F.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Legendary Autos, 427 SC
Not Ranked     

Just installed my M8 fan I purchased from fleabay. Fan came in with low shorted but what I think is high worked fine so it went into the Cobra. I will settle with my Ebay seller later, they seem to be responding well so should not be an issue. Antway i was in a parade on the 4th which lasted 1 1/2 hrs and the car never got above 175 with an outside ambient of 90 deg F. I had a 16" that never really did the job. Thanks to all the guys inputing on the Tarus and M8 fans. I REALLY had to cut the shroud close due to the rack being too close to the Rad. Blade is within 1/8" but still seems to pull over all the Rad. I have a Monometer that measures down to the hundreths of inchec water column. Before taking of the old fan i would only measure best on front side of fan at .03 - .04 inches water column Now I measue .36-.42 inches water column. Guys, That is a HUGE DIFFERENCE in terms of air flow. I would think something in the range of at least a 300% increase in air flow!!!! I can feel the air flow in back of the car. When I get the (bad) fan motor changed I will see what it will do on low speed. I installed 8 ga. wire from 100 amp continuous power contactors, and to accomodate the higher amp draw of about 45 amp continuous I also installed a 140 amp PowerMaster Race Alternator. With my 3:1 rotor ratio at 1000 rpm idle it puts out 91 amps! Finally, I can take my eyes off the temp gauge and watch the road.