Old 09-16-2009, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: 31XX Car
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stentor View Post
Do you by chance have the rest of this article on the 427 FE with 58 mm Weber carbs? I am having some 58 mm Berg IDAs built for my FE and I'd like to read the article.
Stentor, sent you what I have. The owner has that engine running very nicely for street use even with 108 lobe spacing and around 270 deg duration @ .050.

A fellow by the name of David Salkowski, DMSalkowski on this forum, has a similar engine as yours with a Berg 58 equipped alum Shelby block engine with ported Edelbrock heads in a Cobra replica. He did extensive tuning/setup work, incl many dyno runs, and conveyed some info to Berg which helped them with setting up the carbs they deliver to other V8 customers. David's engine is quite radical, however, producing in the range of 730 hp and he drives it in large part on the street. This is interesting, because his cam is around .750" lift with huge duration. I don't know the lobe spacing, but even if it was 112 or 114, with the size of the profile there is no doubt very substantial overlap........probably still way in excess of that with a .600" lift cam with 108 centers. No doubt greater lobe spacing helps minimize carb vacuum signal reversions, which would make an engine run smoother at low rpm and easier to tune, but those who can get the carbs dialed in right still seem to find cam profiles that plenum Holley equipped engines use are optimal for power and get them to run well. Note: David does not run F8 etubes that I believe Berg sends out their carbs with.

Last edited by DMXF; 09-16-2009 at 06:18 AM..