28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 10:53 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Post your SB Weber'd cam specs, please...

I'm trying to gather a consensus on cam specs for a Weber'd small block.

Please post the following:

Cubic Inches
Compression
Int/Exh lift
Int/Exh duration (@ .050)
Lobe Center angle
Webers used (IDF or IDA), and why

I'm currently running a stroked Windsor (392C.I.), 9.7:1 compression with a healthy Comp Cams hydraulic roller (540 lift int and exh, duration @ 240* Int. and 246* Exh. @.050, on 110* lobe centers). Been told this is too much duration for Webers to operate properly.

Appreciate the info, thanks!

-Dean
Old 09-11-2009, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

fyi

i have a 406, 3.8x4.125, 9.7 comp, 244/244 .600 lift 110 and it pulls easy 12-15" at 1400 idle with dual plane manifold, afr205 heads.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRII with a Stroked Windsor
Not Ranked     

Custom Grind spec'd by Keith for my 392 and IDA's. Runs great.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:02 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OFM, thanks. 230/236 is a lot less than my 240/246. Your 112* lobe center should promote better engine vacuum as well. Interesting...

Would love to see more combinations from you Weber guys.

Thanks,

-Dean
Old 09-14-2009, 11:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unfortunataly ; none
Not Ranked     
Default Cam

347 stroker
something like 10,5:1
Valve lift: .613"
Duration@ .050: 262 deg.
Lobe separation: 110.0
4 x 48 IDF because a friend had them lying around, and got them quite cheap.

Still thrilled to know why the Webers "like" more lobe separation, as some say. I'm used to inline 4's running 320 deg. duration and alot of overlap with dual Webers.
This V8 runs really well, all the way up to 8200 rpm (or more- if one dare). OK; fuel economy is not good (partly because of a very fat low end - 10 A/F) - but besides from that; I cannot see any downside of running 110 deg lobe separation.

RS
Old 09-15-2009, 04:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: 31XX Car
Not Ranked     
Default lobe separation

The cam in this engine has a 108 deg lobe separation and the owner has put something like 50k street miles on it:
Old 09-15-2009, 09:28 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That seems to be the big debate at the moment here...Does too low of a lobe separation angle truly hurt performance, or does it just take more tuning to get the combo working right? Or, said another way, are there more compromises to deal with using a smaller lobe separation (i.e. running really fat at idle/off idle throttle)?

-Dean
Old 09-15-2009, 09:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     
Default lobe separation

My impression is if you're only interested in pure performance, than you select lobe separation for webers like you would for any other induction. The main issue driving some people to recommend wider lobe separation appears to be just to minimize reversion. You can probably achieve some of the same goal by playing with where you dial the cam in, because where the intake valve is relative to the piston drives the phenomenon.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 4000; Shelby aluminum FE with 58mm IDAs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcmgt View Post
The cam in this engine has a 108 deg lobe separation and the owner has put something like 50k street miles on it:
Dcmgt,

Do you by chance have the rest of this article on the 427 FE with 58 mm Weber carbs? I am having some 58 mm Berg IDAs built for my FE and I'd like to read the article.

Is there any way you can e-mail it to me?

Thanks,

Stentor
Old 09-15-2009, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Not much to tell here. I'm running a basically stock rebuilt 289 with small chamber cast heads with a CompCams Nostalgia Plus Hyd Cam with matching rockers, springs, lifters & pushrods. I set it up this way because I planned to Run a 600 Holley Double Pumper. It could idle a little cleaner but it's a racecar, right? Cam Specs below.

http://docs.google.com/gview?a=v&q=c...en&gl=us&pli=1
Old 09-15-2009, 08:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR chassis and suspension, Mr. Bruce 289 FIA body
Not Ranked     

My 331 in my GT40 had 10.2:1 compression, Comp Cams hydraulic roller cam (.600/.600 lift, 232/232 deg dur @ .050, and 112 LSA). It spit a little but we tuned most of it out. Ran great once you passed 2500 RPM
Old 09-16-2009, 03:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question Do you have a fax machine around

Stentor I can mail you a copy of it. This is old info on this build and it was done in the 80's. It's about building a 600HP motor, we have 1/2 dozen builders here that are make 650 hp on street motors without the webers or Olbergs. Vacuum signal to the carbs at a steady rate is the most importnat thing and a good exhaust system with the right back pressure. Rick L.
Old 09-16-2009, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stentor View Post
Do you by chance have the rest of this article on the 427 FE with 58 mm Weber carbs? I am having some 58 mm Berg IDAs built for my FE and I'd like to read the article.
Stentor, sent you what I have. The owner has that engine running very nicely for street use even with 108 lobe spacing and around 270 deg duration @ .050.

A fellow by the name of David Salkowski, DMSalkowski on this forum, has a similar engine as yours with a Berg 58 equipped alum Shelby block engine with ported Edelbrock heads in a Cobra replica. He did extensive tuning/setup work, incl many dyno runs, and conveyed some info to Berg which helped them with setting up the carbs they deliver to other V8 customers. David's engine is quite radical, however, producing in the range of 730 hp and he drives it in large part on the street. This is interesting, because his cam is around .750" lift with huge duration. I don't know the lobe spacing, but even if it was 112 or 114, with the size of the profile there is no doubt very substantial overlap........probably still way in excess of that with a .600" lift cam with 108 centers. No doubt greater lobe spacing helps minimize carb vacuum signal reversions, which would make an engine run smoother at low rpm and easier to tune, but those who can get the carbs dialed in right still seem to find cam profiles that plenum Holley equipped engines use are optimal for power and get them to run well. Note: David does not run F8 etubes that I believe Berg sends out their carbs with.

Last edited by DMXF; 09-16-2009 at 06:18 AM..