View Single Post
Old 09-24-2009, 07:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

When I first started as a tech at a Ford dealership, later Chrysler, Snap On was about the only way to go to get those special tools and high quality tools in general. ONLY Snap On had the patented "flank drive" sockets, which saved my butt on more than one occasion coming across a deformed or stripped head of a bolt or nut. Flank drive would get it, nobody else could touch it! Other wrenches would break, didn't have the feel, Snap On was clearly the leader. When you make your living with wrenches I could not afford to have one break, or be inadequate for the job. In THOSE days mechanics were paid ONLY by commission, no retirement, no guarentees of a pay check, just 50-50 or if you were really good, maybe 60-40. 60% for you, 40% for the dealer, straight up and down "book time" per job, flat rate. No customers, no pay check, simple.

Montgomery Wards stores. Remember them? They started offering a life time guarentee on tools. So I bought some and SURE got tired of returning to the store to have them replaced. They were junk tools, Sears only marginally better, Snap On still ruled.

Now? Sears has flank drive sockets, great tools, lifetime warranty and the tools have a shot at making it a lifetime in most cases. My money is on Sears these days...

My big Roll-a-way tool box is older than dirt, MBC, Metal Box Corporation. THEY are the ones that used to build Snap On boxes! That old MBC is STILL a great box and has some serious miles on it!

Last edited by Excaliber; 09-24-2009 at 07:50 PM..