1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 09-24-2009, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     
Default Snap-On tools are for fools

I know because I own a bunch.
This is the first post( I will be posting the same on all the forums I am a member of as well as running a local ad indefinetly) of my press on Snap -On tools (trolls??) to get me some dealer service. I have been a Tech since 1969 and have app.$40-$60K in Snap-On tools( that is at the purchase price, not current costs) I have purchased in the last 30 years. I have been unable to get a Snap-On rep to visit my shop in over 5 years. Warrantees are worthless if there is no service. I have contacted Snap-On corp at least a dozen times in the last 5 years by phone and e-mail. Their position is that dealers are independent business owners and they can't make them do anything. Pretty much what I was told a decade ago when one of the dealers overcharged me for an impact wrench. Keep that in mind when you look at the tool prices. I now have to contact a shop that is 15 miles away and then make time to leave my business in order to give that shop a tool and wait until the Sanp -On dealer gets it replaced. Oddly when I owed them for the tools I saw them every week.
If you are a new Tech and looking at buying tools, let me give you some info. Snap-on, like most tool companies, don't make their tools they subcontract out just like Sears,Matco or Mac ( as well as all others). They pride themselves on their quality and service. That only exists while you owe them money, it doesn't seem to apply when you own everything.
Let's see, if I had not chosen Snap-On tools..how would things be different?? I would still possesss the same knowledge, they didn't supply any of it. I would have saved more than enough money to allow me to waste my time trying to get a tool warranteed. The credit that Snap-On extended to purchase tools doesn't go toward your home loan application...or really any credit score...the Sears one does. After buying tools for 40 years from Sears, I would have had some credit to go on my home loan or other loans, plus if I needed a tool replaced..Sears is in the same place as it had been for 35 years. I wouldn't have had to make some of the decisions about what I could get for my children because I wouldn't have been financially leveraged to Snap-Off. I also wouldn't have put my dealers kids through college while I was couldn't afford to put my kids through. BUT, I did it because they SAID that they would always service me...BULL*****.
If you are a starting Tech DO NOT buy into the Snap-OFF propaganda. Save yourself a lot of money and buy from someone that will be there even when you have paid them off. It will help your credit rating as well as cut down some of the spats with your spouse over the amount you spend on tools. I hope they go the route of the Tupperware party, they have a similar business model.
As a final note, although I wouldn't neccesarily do it( I already bought my tools form the charlatans that represent Snap-on)...BUT...for the amount you would spend on virtually any Snap-OFF tool you could buy a dozen at Harbor Freight and never even need to see a dealer. As they break you pick up a new one and throw the other in the trash, pretty much what I am going to be doing with my Snap-OFF tools over the next bunch of years.
I contacted, for the final time, Snap-OFF corporation with my intentions to run this as well as the local ads and gave them more than 2 weeks to respond and they apparently thought I was bluffing...I am not.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well Said. You hit it on the head. Go craftman and if you are a tinkerer go harbor freight.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

I started buying Craftsman in 1982 out of high school because its all I could afford. Over time, I have managed to upgrade to a fairly complete set of SAE and metric tools, all predominantly Craftsman. I've overhauled Harleys, Vettes, Porsches, offshore powerboats and 4-wheel drives for 27 years, and now my Cobra, all with Craftsman. In all that time I have managed to only break one tool, a 3/8" drive ratchet that I hit at a full Babe Ruth swing with a 2 lb blacksmith hammer, trying to free a big bolt in a space to small for 1/2" drive. I walked it into the local Sears, they handed me a brand new one for free and I walked out.

I have a nice big red Snap On toolbox with a stainles top I stole off of Craigslist the day before Christmas. Its the only Snap-On product I will ever own. Snap-On has done an excellent job of convincing a lot of people to buy their expensive tools. And I've heard the line about "Well I use mine to make a living so I need the best." Its all marketing bull$h!t, in my opinion.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:43 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Angry

WDZ,

Why not order a tool and when the Rep. shows up to deliver and collect money, tell him you changed your mind and don't want it, but while he is there, you want some warranty service.
Just a thought.

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #298 427 FI
Not Ranked     

Most of the stuff I have bought over the last twenty years is craftsman wiith some snap on stuff I bought off of E bay. Im sorry but most if not all of the stuff from harbor freight is junk, I know they are cheap but when one breaks and you cut your hand open or can't finish your project at 11 pm you will regret it. The only tool that I can honestly say is a lot better from snap on are their screw drivers and line wrenches. The stuff from home depot and lowes are also very good.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The stuff coming out of Sears isn't much better than the stuff from Harbor Freight. The ratchets aren't what they used to be.

I don't see the point of the Snap-On price unless you have a devoted dealer, but, as you have found, they are independent and may or may not be around in 2-5 years.

From what I know of Snap-On, they seem like a great MLM program. The dealer buys everything from the company store, including his truck. Then they force him to buy inventory. If he doesn't have cash, they will finance it but regardless he has to take it. I think the company makes more on finance charges to the dealer and end customers than they do selling high priced wrenches.

A giant red flag goes up when I see a company that is more about marketing than product.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwoodard View Post
WDZ,

Why not order a tool and when the Rep. shows up to deliver and collect money, tell him you changed your mind and don't want it, but while he is there, you want some warranty service.
Just a thought.
If I thought that would work,I'd try it. But about 3 months ago I was in town, happened to be driving the Daytona Coupe and wound up behind a dealer. I followed them to a shop and when I approached the woman...she acted like I was going to mug her and ordering me to step away from her truck. I hopped in the Cobra and left. Pretty much the treatment I have recieved the last 5-6 years. Kind of funny how friendly they were when i was young and owed them. Now that I am free and clear they don't want to be bothered.
I did get some satisfaction when I saw that their stocks are on a constant downward creep. Couldn't happen to a bunch of nicer people,LOL.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

I've been around construction mechanics for a while now. Most of who use Snap On or Mac tools. I have bought a few stubby wrenches to fill out my Craftsman collection as the do not make enough sizes. A couple other small items as well. The Mechanics keep themselves in debt to these guys for the exact reasons you have stated. "IT KEEPS THEM COMING BACK". The tools are nice, I have to admit. But I can't imagine paying those prices when there are some other quality tools out there such as Wright & Proto for much a better price.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

When I first started as a tech at a Ford dealership, later Chrysler, Snap On was about the only way to go to get those special tools and high quality tools in general. ONLY Snap On had the patented "flank drive" sockets, which saved my butt on more than one occasion coming across a deformed or stripped head of a bolt or nut. Flank drive would get it, nobody else could touch it! Other wrenches would break, didn't have the feel, Snap On was clearly the leader. When you make your living with wrenches I could not afford to have one break, or be inadequate for the job. In THOSE days mechanics were paid ONLY by commission, no retirement, no guarentees of a pay check, just 50-50 or if you were really good, maybe 60-40. 60% for you, 40% for the dealer, straight up and down "book time" per job, flat rate. No customers, no pay check, simple.

Montgomery Wards stores. Remember them? They started offering a life time guarentee on tools. So I bought some and SURE got tired of returning to the store to have them replaced. They were junk tools, Sears only marginally better, Snap On still ruled.

Now? Sears has flank drive sockets, great tools, lifetime warranty and the tools have a shot at making it a lifetime in most cases. My money is on Sears these days...

My big Roll-a-way tool box is older than dirt, MBC, Metal Box Corporation. THEY are the ones that used to build Snap On boxes! That old MBC is STILL a great box and has some serious miles on it!

Last edited by Excaliber; 09-24-2009 at 07:50 PM..
Old 09-25-2009, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 429CI
Not Ranked     

I think usage determines the quality tool you need. For example, I bought a set of Harbor Freight tubing wrenches, they are junk. They don't have enough wall thickness on the business end and the steel isn't hard enough and as a result of both weaknesses they spring open and round off the tube fittings. I bought a set of Craftsman tubing wrenches and you can tighten the piss out of a fitting without any slippage. On the other hand most of my six point impact and deep walled sockets are Harbor Freight and I haven't broken one yet.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lonestar 427 Comp. 351W
Not Ranked     

I always liked Snap-on tools but usually cannot justify the costs being a week warrior and not a pro.

However,

I went to Sears this Saturday to return a cracked socket. I got a new replacement socket and just happened to walk into one hell of a sale. Many tool sets for less the $1 per tool.

I walked out with 250 tools for $125! That is significantly cheaper then my first "starter kit" I bought in 1987 which cost $100 for 100 tools.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:53 PM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have been using MAC tools since 1989 when I got started at the airlines. I didn't care for the treatment from Snap on at all. I since moved on and located in Greater Cincinnati Airport, they use to have both suppliers there. They both come and go and now I just call back to Atlanta and get help when I need tools from Mac. At least I know he still is in the business. I have been using craftmans pros for a while, I like the way the feel and grip the hardware, probably the best for the money. I have also found that Huskey allen wrench sets are the best I have ever used. The holder holds the allen wrenches in the hold much better than the over price other suppliers.

Bill

www.gcperf.com
Old 09-28-2009, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster
Not Ranked     
Default I had a plummer, who went into the snap-on business

I don't know the particular numbers but he didn't last much more than a year. Seemed the only way to peddle his wares was to drive to the shops in that big truck and offer credit so the mechanics would buy tools. Then the mechanics quit or move on and he is left with nothing. He had a hard time collecting on his sales. I felt really bad for him because he was so upbeat about it in the beginning. I have a lot of Craftsmen tools, they are availible and pretty decent. I avoid at all cost using inferior tools. Sorry to hear Snap doesn't back up their products with customer service.

John
Old 09-28-2009, 05:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Fibercraft Bodies 427 S/C, 351W disguised as a 427.
Send a message via AIM to SuperHart
Not Ranked     

Just my $.02 but Craftsman tools have always done right by me and, if one ever broke, I never had any problem getting it replaced FREE. In contrast, I had bought four Snap-On torque wrenches with the plastic cases with the plastic snap closures. One of the closures on one case broke off and I asked the dealer for a replacement case. You might have thought I had threatened to sue him or something. I ended up having to purchase a new case for the wrench. It cost me $25 for a stinking plastic case. After buying more than $1000 worth of torque wrenches I would have appreciated at least a discount on the replacement case. I bet if the case came from Sears I wouldn't have had the problem.

I have purchased Craftsman tools on eBay and gotten super deals on brand new sets. Even though the tools were not actually purchased in a Sears retail store I have never been asked for a receipt when I returned a broken tool requesting a replacement. Always "No Questions Asked". Therefore, my vote goes to Craftsman.
Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Old 10-14-2009, 01:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR # 5089
Not Ranked     

yeah, for the average Joe (like myself) Craftsman has worked great for me. I've broken a few tools by using them for things that they weren't intended to be used for & I have never had any problem returning tham & getting a brand new one. (that reminds me, I have to go swith a few screwdrivers out soon)
Old 10-14-2009, 03:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, V8, Manual Trans, Htr, Wipers, Radio Delete
Not Ranked     

My rollaway (Craftsman) is predominantly filled with Craftsman tools although I do prefer SK ratchets. My father gave me a 3/8 drive SK ratchet and socket set in 1962. That and a basic Craftsman combination wrench set was my starting point. It seemed that no matter where I lived, there was always a Sears nearby so adding on good quality tools was easy, especially in the middle of a job on a weekend. I have only owned one Craftsman ratchet, a 1/2 in drive, and for whatever reason I just never felt at ease with it. Maybe I had just grown too accustomed to that SK, but one day the Craftsman's ratcheting mechanism stripped and while Sears replaced it without blinking, I took that opportunity to pick up an SK 1/2 in drive. Nice stuff but expensive and not convenient to find a retailer. Probably like Snap-On, but I just like the sound and feel of the SK mechanism. The 3/8 drive SK has never missed a beat though in 47 years including a few sessions with an 18" cheater on the handle before I owned a breaker bar.
Frank
Old 10-14-2009, 06:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

Last year a Craftsman torque wrench that was my dads let go.
I took it back and got a brand new TW. They squirmed a bit but handed over a new one.
I have Craftsman tools and boxes that belonged to my dad (I am 55) that Sears continues to honor, as well as a full collection of Craftsman tools collected over the last 40 years.
They still honor their guarantee.
If I am second guessed I simply ask them to check my scorecard.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

(One of the closures on one case broke off and I asked the dealer for a replacement case. You might have thought I had threatened to sue him or something. I ended up having to purchase a new case for the wrench. It cost me $25 for a stinking plastic case. After buying more than $1000 worth of torque wrenches I would have appreciated at least a discount on the replacement case. I bet if the case came from Sears I wouldn't have had the problem.)

I have a case from Craftsman that broke one of the clips off and they would not replace it. They said they only guarantee the tools not the cases even though the case said Craftsman on it. Its a socket set which makes it very hard to move around with a broken clip.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:11 PM
Evryday is a roadstr day
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RHD Hurricane street roadster HM1081 aging nicely in the garage
Not Ranked     

When I graduated from High School in '66, my dad bought me a set of 3/8" drive Western Auto (Wizard) sockets and a set of Wizard combination wrenchs, both came with a life time guarantee. I still have most of the sockets and wrenchs after 20 years of racing motocross and beating on them and all the other misuse they have taken in these 40+ years, the socket wrench gave up the ghost a long time ago, right after they went out of business so I've been buying Craftsman since then. No problems with replacing things since then.