Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2010, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shell Valley
Not Ranked     
Default New to the Suwanee Area, Just moved from Illinois

Just moved into the area and looking for an easy way to get a Shell Valley Cobra titled in Georgia without going through a smog test. The car was built in 1991 and titled unfortunately as a 1991 Roadster and not a 67 Shelby Cobra. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-22-2010, 03:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beast
Not Ranked     

I am in the process of getting my car titled in Georgia. I have passed the required inspection and had a police officer verify the VIN plate. All the paperwork has been mailed in and I should have a title in about 4-6 weeks. (at least that's what the inspector told me) What I don't know is what year they will put on the title. I had the car titled as a 1966 in Florida and it was registered as a 66 here in Georgia, so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My problem is that my Cobra was titled in Illinois as a 1991 Roadster since that was the year it was built. I am getting a letter from Shell Valley that will confirm that based on the s/n that my car is actually a 1967 and not a 1991. If anyone else has any suggestions I would welcome the advice. Otherwise I will have to keep the Illinois plates on the car for another 4 years.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Gary Dyke moved from up here down there about 3 years ago--might want to contact him to see what was involved

still going overseas a lot?

Jerry
Old 10-22-2010, 07:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jerry...thanks for the tip and I will give him a call. Leaving for Barcelona tomorrow and now working for Coke here in Atlanta. Keep in touch!
Old 10-22-2010, 07:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

I thought that Coke was down there and maybe you switched

Have a good trip
Old 10-23-2010, 08:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E.R.A. #505
Not Ranked     

Send me a P/M & I can tell you who to call.
Old 11-04-2010, 01:07 PM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Slumming currently with 67 GT350
Not Ranked     
Default Title

Any updates? I was wondering if the state is finally going to allow people to transfer a '65 title into the state, and if they're going to allow the salvage title inspections like they did a few years ago so people can have these cars again. I also wonder about the emission counties.....
Old 11-04-2010, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Not sure where your coming from Commissioner. A 67 will not be titled but be able to be registered in GA and plates given with no emissions.

A 91 pre registered in another state would keep the year on the title. Now read both and figure how to fudge it if your in a emission county.

Last edited by Ralphy; 11-14-2010 at 05:56 PM..
Old 11-05-2010, 10:00 AM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Slumming currently with 67 GT350
Not Ranked     
Default title

Hi Ralphy,

I used to work for the SPF dealership in Braselton, and when the doors closed in 2007, we couldn't do anything in this state. So now, a car can be rego'd with no issues, but not given a title? When the business opened, we could do the salvage title route, get a title for the calendar year. But, an owner couldn't not do this if he lived in a smog county. We couldn't even sell a used car to anyone in a smog county without us providing a smog cert. Kind of hard to do business in a state where we could do nothing. I was confused by the FL Cobra gent's post saying he had done the inspection and was waiting on his title. I was hoping for clarification and the definitive way things are being done in this stupid state.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

If FL has a title from another state showing the car as a 66. The state would not issue a title I believe. However he would be able to register the car with no smog check.Why he had an inspection I do not know. A previously titled car should not need an inspection. It's on the gov web site, GA will not title a car that is app. 25 years old or more from out of state.

If they did, the title office would have to take the title and do a check on the vin, which took me app. 4 weeks and a title is sent.

As far as manufacture, I see your point, GA is dead!

Another point, GA will title a 25 plus year old car from in state. But only if requested. Revised, I am wrong they will issue a title.

Last edited by Ralphy; 11-14-2010 at 05:56 PM..
Old 11-05-2010, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

FL should have been able to walk into his local office. Give his supporting docs and walked out with his plates I believe. Once they took his original title they should have given him a temporary title. Then he would be able to register.

http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/titles/required.asp

Last edited by Ralphy; 11-05-2010 at 10:43 AM..
Old 11-14-2010, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ralphy, you are correct except for the temporary title. They didn't give me one. The problem was the VIN. Because it wasn't a standard VIN they said the car had to be inspected and they would issue a new VIN and then I would get a title. Although it helped in the process, the Florida title was worthless to them because of the short VIN. I have another car down in Florida and I am debating whether or not to register it in this state when I bring it up here. The process in Florida is so much easier.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classic Car Co. replica of 1966 Cobra made in 1988 with big block bowtie (600 hp 454), Bought about 4 months ago
Not Ranked     

I just titled a '67 cobra in Fla. with no problem

scaffold
Old 11-14-2010, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I also have a short VIN that is why it would have taken 4 weeks, to contact the state in which the title was issued I was told. Short VIN's are not in the national data base. I was issued a GA title with the same 8 digit VIN I had and given a temp title.

The county agent I had talked with at first said the car would need an inspection. Then she decided to ask her manager, which said no. Only new built would require inspections.
It only shows even the government agents are confused.

Ralphy

Last edited by Ralphy; 11-14-2010 at 05:54 PM..
Old 11-22-2010, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My title just arrived that states my cobra is a '66. It didn't take as long as I thought it would.