Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 04:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default RIP old Gus

It always breaks my heart when I read posts about lost pets and I'm always thankful that my old miniature Pincher of 17 years is still with me. But yesterday while visiting my sister, Gus fell in her swimming pool and drowned before we could get him out. Seeing my younger sister in the pool holding his little lifeless body to her chest like a lost child and screaming "God, no!" was just too much. I held brief hope we could revive him as I held him the way I've done for almost two decades while knowing my little buddy was gone for good. The three hour drive back to Atlanta with my friend in a bag instead of my lap is high on my list of sad moments. I have a hard time dealing with things like this. I know this is a tragedy that's played out everyday, but when it happens to you - it really hurts. I know that only time heals such a feeling, but I sure wish my heart had a fast-forward button.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Tony,

Awful news. I feel for you, your younger sister and your whole family.

I know what pets mean. Losing one is tougher than losing people.

One of our cats is 17 and on her last legs. Almost too much to deal with.

Yeah, I wish there was a fast forward button on the the heart.

Jack

Last edited by kayakjack; 06-10-2011 at 09:16 AM..
Old 06-10-2011, 05:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I hear you Jack. When a treasured pet gets that old, you know your days with them are numbered at best. For the past year or two, everytime I looked at Gus, I knew the time would come and it made having him a little bittersweet. Nothing left to do now but heal -but is sure does suck to feel this way.

Last edited by Tony Radford; 06-10-2011 at 06:33 AM..
Old 06-10-2011, 06:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony, take solice in that you gave that dog 17 years of a great life. I wish there was a way to fast forward you past this. I truly feel for your loss, give it a little time, there is another little companion out there that needs your love and care.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:43 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

JTJony:
Had to put down my best buddy of 17 years 3 weeks ago. Doesn't compare with traumatic loss like yours but it was one of the hardest things I've ever done.
Hope this helps a little.
<Rainbow Bridge>

DonC
Old 06-10-2011, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The pain and sadness you feel now is small payment for all the years of love you get from a pet. If you've never read the Rainbow Bridge poem I would suggest it. Tough read but very meaningful. <Rainbow Bridge>
Old 06-10-2011, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Don, I'm not sure I agree. The one event I've dreaded most was having him sit in my lap as the vet ends his life. Might have been more than I could bear.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owned CSX 3121 1969-1975. Went to the dark side and bought a 'Vette. May yet repent and be saved.
Not Ranked     

Losing both of my Labs within a three week period hurt as badly as losing my parents. The dogs are gone eight years now, and I can still cry thinking about them.

While we can never replace special pets, seeing another dog begin the journey as a pup helps.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 239
Not Ranked     

Several years ago I had to put down a very great old dog, like yours, he was very special. I won’t go into detail but the experience at the vet was truly awful. A couple of years later, his partner in crime, my female was suffering similarly. A friend told me about a mobile vet that provided the service at your home. It was everything it could have been. We all got to say goodbye.” She was not scare, but comfortably laying in her favorite spot in her bed. The vet said to us. “You can go now, I will take her with me and let myself out the gate.”
What a godsend! I highly recommend it to anybody who is faced with this.

Jason
Old 06-10-2011, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think that if you could harness all of the grief folks have amassed over losses like these, you'd have a nuclear reactor.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Here is a tribute I've kept for years
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2011, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 1774 / 392 Stroked Windsor
Not Ranked     

Sorry to hear about your loss Tony ! Years ago we lost our Afgan hound Bo. Leaves a real void. Mark
Old 06-12-2011, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

I'm sorry Tony.

This is my least favorite thing to read anywhere. I've had pets in every stage of my life, including a cat that came to our house when I was about 13. He saw me through middle school, high school, all of college, and even came to Louisville with my parents when I got married.

I have my own cat, Leon, who I got while I was in college back in 2001. He'll be 11 years old this fall.

They are truly part of the family and I'm hurting for you right now.

I wish I could change history for you...
Old 06-12-2011, 12:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 289 FIA, 363 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Sorry to hear about your loss. I just had to put my 13 year old yellow lab, Phoebe, to sleep two weeks ago. It's always hard, but try to remember the good times you all spent together and how lucky you are that you got to have such a great friend for 17 years. It broke my heart carrying my best bud Phoebe to the back of my car for her last ride, but i was also very thankful to have had such a loving friend for 13 years.
Hang in there!
Old 06-12-2011, 01:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

Lost many dogs over the years and they truly are part of the family and harder each time one passes. Just think of ole Gus waiting for you at the perly gates when you arrive...
Old 06-12-2011, 04:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm down here in Boquete, Panama on a family vacation, but I'm having a real hard time shaking the heavy heart I feel from Gus being gone. I've known for years that I would dread this moment and I was really right (guess I set it up that way). I've filled out an application with the Miniature Pinscher Rescue to get another minpin. I found one that looks exactly like Gus when he was a year old and it gives me some comfort when I look at that picture. It flashes me back to the days when Gus was an active little dog and how much fun we used to have with him. I think I'm going to get two this time. I was going to wait, and even considered not getting another dog. But the hole he left just keeps getting bigger. Coming home to a quiet, empty house is gut wrenching to me.
Old 07-19-2011, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: roadster/coupeGT350 clone/GT40
Not Ranked     

Tony-I have been away for a while, as you know, and just read this Sunday. I took a few days to respond.

I lost my dear Dixie 3 years ago at the age of 14. She was a miniture long haired dauchshund (sp?) and i dreaded to think of her ever passing since I got her at 3 months of age. She had a heart attack at about 5pm and was gone by eleven pm the same day. I cried for days. She was my buddy-You can even see here with her "Dixie" badge that Susan Parham made up for her at the Deep South Cobra Club held at Southern Automotive many years ago.

I was still in grief six months later when we went to a Pet Smart on "Howl" Mill Road in Atlanta. Another minature long haired "doxie" was there, and I started asking her "owner" about her. The "owner" turned out to be a foster mom, and the doxie turned out to be a "cha wienie" > a chihuahua wiennie dog! Her name was Roxanne and we adopted her on the spot (un planned puppyhood) and changed her name to "Trixie" which was my name for Dixie's evil alter ego.

I tell Trixie that I had a big hole in my heart from loosing Dixie, and that she, Trixie helped fill that hole. I told her that she did not replace Dixie, but that she (Trixie) was my new pup.

I am so sorry for your loss.

"Dogs are not our whole life but they make our lives whole" c
Old 07-19-2011, 12:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chip, thanks for that. Nice story, albeit a bit tragic as well. I still feel pain over the loss of Gus, but I have since then rescued two minpin boys. They really keep the wife and I hopping from the time we wake up until bed time. They're a hand full, but they sure do fill the huge void old Gus left behind.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: roadster/coupeGT350 clone/GT40
Not Ranked     

Three years later I think of dixie and start to tear up. Then I reach for Trixie and hold her close. It makes me feel better. c
Old 07-19-2011, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It's amazing what effect these little critters can have on a person. I was showing the wife a short video I did a few months ago sitting in my home office with the web cam just holding Gus for the camera. I knew when I took it that the day would come when it would hurt to watch it. I was right.

Have you ever seen Jimmy Stewart's dog poem?

&#x202a;Johnny Carson - Jimmy Stewart - Beau Poem&#x202c;&rlm; - YouTube