Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2020, 09:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

Coming up on the NBCSN tv coverage soon. 9:18 Pacific as I type this.
Old 07-18-2020, 09:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4000 427 center oiler
Not Ranked     

Just went across on the tv coverage, looked nice.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX6027
Not Ranked     

hi
thanks everybody
i definitely intend to change all fluids, i assume the oil filter will be a standard spec? i believe the tires are bias ply, which i'm sure would have it tracking all over the road. as far as the break in period, according to the owners best knowledge the car has yet to exceed 20 miles per hour. it still baffles me how you could possibly own this and at least not punch it once. this may not be a daily for me but to hell if it doesn't at least make it to a few Walmart parking lots. i live in draper utah and there are 6 canyon runs less than half an hour away from me AND this will piss everyone off no doubt, i have a foreign drivers licence SO i can get monetary fines but no points and the state cannot suspend a licence they didn't issue AND it is titled and insured by a trust so tickets to me do not affect the insurance on the car. is everyone taking notes yet?
Old 07-19-2020, 03:50 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveguess View Post
hi
thanks everybody
i definitely intend to change all fluids, i assume the oil filter will be a standard spec? i believe the tires are bias ply, which i'm sure would have it tracking all over the road. as far as the break in period, according to the owners best knowledge the car has yet to exceed 20 miles per hour. it still baffles me how you could possibly own this and at least not punch it once. this may not be a daily for me but to hell if it doesn't at least make it to a few Walmart parking lots. i live in draper utah and there are 6 canyon runs less than half an hour away from me AND this will piss everyone off no doubt, i have a foreign drivers licence SO i can get monetary fines but no points and the state cannot suspend a licence they didn't issue AND it is titled and insured by a trust so tickets to me do not affect the insurance on the car. is everyone taking notes yet?
Replace tires before you take it out for it's first drive.

Then, as a 1st time Cobra owner, repeat the following:
"As soon as I turn the key and start the motor, this car will try to kill me"
Unlike any other car you have ever owned, and regardless of your driving or racing experience, you need to take the learning curve slowly......

Hope you find this helpfu, enjoy the ride.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-19-2020, 06:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

i do presently have some other "fast" cars none of them are actually described as have a better power to weight ratio than a fighter jet. i will do all of the above that you all mentioned.
Old 07-19-2020, 07:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Black CSX 4910, Roush 511 8 stack
Not Ranked     

Congrats on the purchase. Covid has definitely affected the auctions but RM had been very successful online, Mecum had just completed a $15m online only with $10m being Road art.

This Mecum auction saw several records set with $3.5m with the original prototype Shelby 350r that Ken Miles won the first Gt350 race in for $3.5m BEFORE fees and 2 other shelbys for over a $1m a host of Ferrari’s totaling over $8m and a good sell through. Barrett Jackson has help 2 online auctions and has 2 live coming up in the fall although Mecum is pushing ahead with live auctions all the rest are staying online

$125k in this market for a side Oiler FE in a CSX was right in the sweet spot where everyone should come away pretty happy, car looks great. I echo others, swap ALL the fluids. Replace the tires before driving( I prefer Avon’s) and tell yourself every time you drive “this car can kil me as you smile and twist the key! Enjoy!
marklotus and steveguess like this.

Last edited by csx4910; 07-20-2020 at 07:26 AM..
Old 07-19-2020, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Congrats!

Correct abt replacing tires. You're ok for non spirited street for a bit but I wouldn't want to do any spirited driving on tires that old. For sure no track

You've never owned a car that will go so squirrelly so fast. Ever. Trust my youll swap rear end in the blink of an eye. The shelby pedals are very difficult to heel and toe throttle blip due to their spacing and non coplanar config

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 07-19-2020 at 10:10 AM..
Old 07-19-2020, 09:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R and CSX 6029
Not Ranked     
Default I have 6029

I bought mine (CSX 6029) at T & E as well back in 2010. I still have it.
Old 07-20-2020, 07:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

that's cool. apparently T&E would buy the chassis and then have the powertrain put in by Eric at performance engineering. Eric was the E in T&E. T&E is no longer, at some point they split and it is now Toms classics and performance engineering still exists and Eric still owns it. he more specializes in boat racing engines now but say they still do work on the odd cobra. he was a huge help for me when i was deciding to buy, he still remembers all the build combinations he used and all the different components. how was the build quality of your car as there were a lot of questions about that on this thread. i suppose the fact that you still have it would imply you're pleased with it.
Old 07-20-2020, 05:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

question? i am looking at new tires which has been strongly recommended by members. what i have read so far seems to narrow the choice down to two, Avons or Goodyear Billboards. Goodyear seems to easily win as the performance tire being a much sticker compound but many people are saying they pick up a lot of rocks and create significant rock chips and even fiberglass splintering above the tire. i run 355 cup 2 tires on a couple of cars i have which i think would be much stickier than billboards and don't have rock issues although both cars have full clear bra. has anyone had issues with this or any other recommendations.
Old 07-20-2020, 06:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR
Not Ranked     

Billboards are bias ply tires technically not street legal. As such it will be a very soft drive since the sidewalls are virtually nonexistent. If you curb a tire you'd better replace it. They're good for real track use, but for street driving you're better getting the Avons. Note that there isn't anyone going to look at your tires and tell you they are not DOT approved and kick you off the road. However, come accident time, if your tires are at all involved, expect a law suit. That's just the way things are these days.

Someone offered me a low-miles set of them that he was getting rid of because they were hard to balance etc. I passed. And they were free.

My car had Goodyears, essentially the same construction as the tires that were used on the 2005-2006 Ford GT and the 2007 Shelby GT500. They weren't the best street tire as they were like hockey pucks on cold pavement and when the tires themselves were cold. Warmed up they were OK, but they are definitely a warm temperature tire.

With the Goodyears I definitely concur about some rear fender protection. Someone made some "spats" that looked cool and did the job. A couple of layers of clear bra material would also do it - the later generation films are so much better than they were 10 years ago. You might want to do the front areas too.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 07-20-2020 at 06:05 PM..
Old 07-20-2020, 06:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF MKII Riverside Racer FIA
Not Ranked     

I will not tell you which brand to choose, but will rather offer suggestions to help you make that choice.

I am guessing that you do not see a lot of precipitation in Utah, but irrespective because yo u never know when your will come across water on the road, pay close attention to the tread pattern. Some of the better, i.e., stickier, tires have minimal tread and wide tires with little tread on a high HP car with a light rear end will switch ends on you in a hurry if they come across wet pavement. You're not going to be tracking the car so I would make a choice based upon overall performance. The sticker tires do need to warm up to behave properly and that may take a while in colder situations.

I would also suggest paying close attention to the tread wear rating. Any tire with a tread were rating of 100 or less is going to be sticky and not only may throw stones, but it will embed them and grab and hold onto anything else it finds on the road. I recall my first race coming off the track and my front end was bouncing all over the place and I thought that my alignment had somehow come loose. The problem was that the tires had picked up a lot of chunks of shredded rubber that I had to scrape off the tire. Also, tires with low tread wear rating will scrub off rubber when hot and deposit it on the side of your car in streaks. A little WD-40 will remove the rubber from your fenders without damaging the paint.

Last edited by 1795; 07-20-2020 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: Thought of something else.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Roush 402R and CSX 6029
Not Ranked     

I do like my car (CSX 6029) and have no plans to sell it. So far no problems with it. My problem is I am not getting to drive it as much as I would like. Hopefully I can correct that sooner rather than later. Anyway, good luck and enjoy.