• 1 Post By sea2jet

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2022, 02:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default When did ERA make major changes

I am a newby here and was researching buying a used ERA cobra and have heard that around car no.700 ish ERA had a major upgrade in the car but I can't find any info on their site so I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this ERA cobra evolution and what it entailed. Thanks for your input.
Old 12-07-2022, 03:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

731 had major upgrades. Look under the ERA web page FAQs and they have a list of all the upgrades.

Many will tell the 731 upgrades are no big deal. I had 178 and 755. The appearance is night and day. After you look at both you will only buy the new version.

John
PJ UPTMOR and sea2jet like this.
Old 12-07-2022, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks for your response. On the hunt for a Cobra.
Old 12-07-2022, 03:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era#671 Keith Craft Motor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mk View Post
I am a newby here and was researching buying a used ERA cobra and have heard that around car no.700 ish ERA had a major upgrade in the car but I can't find any info on their site so I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this ERA cobra evolution and what it entailed. Thanks for your input.

Sorry i replied back before realizing Grubby posted....Thats correct its on there Website
I think your close, about 700 or so give or take.
Im #671 And do Not have the upgrades....I want to say that it all happened around 2005ish or 2006ish?
Maybe a New Buck for the Fiberglass mold....Also the way Body curves under Door area rather then exposed Rivets ...Aluminum inner fender skirts/Skins not sure what to call them...I think changes where to further replicate the Original more then to change the way car drives...But cant say im 100% on that
Give this thread a couple hours , Patrick will definitely know more then me on this and reply soon.

Last edited by sgianino; 12-07-2022 at 03:42 PM..
Old 12-07-2022, 04:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 838
Not Ranked     

The upgrades make the car look more original. The seats are greatly improved and that makes them more comfortable. They are suspension seats vs fiberglass buckets.

The big upgrade was aluminum panels in the engine bay and trunk. Improved hood prop. Improved throttle linkage and many many other visual improvements.

It is unmistakable when you see an old version and newer one together. My wife noticed when 755 came home. She noted it looked like a factory built car and 178 looked like a kit car.

I am one of the few that has owned both versions.

I have a large number of pictures from when I sold 178 and 755. I am not sure how I could easily get them to you.

John
Old 12-07-2022, 07:04 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgianino View Post
Give this thread a couple hours , Patrick will definitely know more then me on this and reply soon.
#731 marked a pretty significant upgrade on the 427 cars, but there are some other numbers that make a difference as well. Here they are:

Begins at chassis #

Wiring harness design finalized

Aluminum floors replace steel

Subaru steering gear replaces Nissan

ERA tubular subframe replaces XKE sheet-metal one

Footboxes lengthened for extra leg room

Tilton master cylinders replace ATE brand *

Bulkhead behind seats moved, exposing the roll bar lower legs

Front X member between front suspension towers changed from square to round tubing

All chassis have mounting points*for ERA rear suspension

Aluminum radiator instead of brass, using original style top and bottom mounts and shrouding

Wiring harness improvements for easier installation

Major improvements to body, inner panels and chassis

Steering gear and mounting system changed
PJ UPTMOR likes this.
Old 12-08-2022, 03:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 744/428/TKO 600
Not Ranked     

And from 731 and on, no rivets in plain sight running down the bottom on the rockers on both sides😎
1985 CCX likes this.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: