Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2003, 01:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Pow Wow with Mr. Parham

Well, we have a plan. I took a nice scenic cruise this morning down HW 20 through Grayson and Conyers to Southern Automotive to meet with Bill. It's with a tear in my eye that I must say goodby to the Weber plan. After sifting through a number of options, I've decided to go with a SB 427 stroker, Vic Jr. dual plane intake, solid cam, single 850 4B and a little bit of polishing work for glitz. Should put me close to 500/500 HP and torque. Happy Father's Day to me!

I guess that means I get to keep the "thumpty thump".
Old 06-10-2003, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

What happened to the webers? I would build a SB with webers if performance was the only criteria. Bill hates webers. I lent a set to TC, hey TC, what do you think of webers ?
Old 06-10-2003, 02:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, Boss 351 w/ TKO 5 speed, 94 vette suspension
Not Ranked     

When did they start making Vic jr. dual plane intakes??
Old 06-10-2003, 04:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tim, I may be confused. We talked about so many carb/manifold configurations. There were two manifolds on the table and I wasn't familiar with either of them. I was more interested in whether or not they would fit under my hood as they were both significantly taller than my existing Edelbrock. I was so hooked on the Weber setup, I didn't research an other products.

Oh well, life sometimes requires compromises.

Johan, get this. Bill actually ordered a Weber 48IDA manifold for me to put on this engine to save me some bucks. He was ready to do it, but by the time I selected everything I wanted in the bottom end, I didn't have $4,000 plus left in the budget. I wouldn't go to the expense of dropping that kit on a Windsor with stock stroke. I will still have the option of dropping the Weber assembly on this new stroker. The carb/manifold set up Bill selected is pretty awesome as an interim solution for performance and show.
Old 06-10-2003, 05:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Oh but the sound of the Webers!!! Mine do need a little tuning though. Johan, did you see they are remaking 48 IDAs???

Tony, congrats on the big move.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This is easy, put on the weber manifold and just put one carb on it. use block off plates , and as funding materializes, replace the plates with carbs, Sort of like putting the litthe green houses on Monopoly property.
$4000 dollars???!!!, TC told me they were worth 1000 tops ?
Oh I get it, the tops are worth 1000 and the bottoms are worth 3000.
Tony, webers just sound good, thats all. Great on a race track, but for the street, a big ole holly is more than enough.
JW
Old 06-11-2003, 02:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Johan, I spent some time this past weekend reading dozens of posts from folks sporting Weber setups and I thought it was interesting how few of these folks there are. I'm sure a big part of it is the fact that the carbs are $600 a piece and every little part like linkage and such are like priced like airplane parts.

I'll still probably end up making the plunge. Getting a 20% HP increase is good too.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tony,

I don't know anything about the webers other than what I have read and heard - so not much, however, it seems like with performance being the goal a custom fuel injection system would be more appropriate. Cost might even be more initially than the webers but without the tuning headaches. Infinetly adjustable accros the rev range. I was quoted 7K to FI my 427 with a race proven/develped system and would do it if I could justify the expense (which I can't). I will give you one huge bous to the webers - LOOKS! That however can be duplicated via the FI route as well.

Tony Hull
Cracker
Old 06-11-2003, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tony, I know you're right. I just got off the phone with Bill and gave him the official "turn on" for my new stroker. All I can say is "I'm psyched". I even have my wife on board. It started with a pesky rear main seal leak and turned into whole new experience. Overkill? Absolutely. That's what I love about this hobby, or in my case, "infection".
Old 06-11-2003, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Tony, I was just trying to make you feel better. Webers are great. There is no substitute, except for lucas or crower timed injection or something. Webers are NOT a pain in the ass to keep tuned. It is a very simple process to begin with and then it is just a matter of keeping them clean inside. Bottem range torque and mid to upper range horsepower are improved , but the sound they make is worth the cost alone. There, does that help ?
Old 06-11-2003, 12:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Johan, I'm thinking about booting my Daughter from College. The money I would save could go towards the Webers. Keep talking and you might become a contributor to the number of unskilled laborers in the state of Georgia.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:36 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     

Johan how about we take him for a ride in a Weber induction car ???

Tony, you're toast either way. Daughter stays in school=expensive. Can't go 'cause dad bought Webers=may find a guy to marry=wedding=also expensive for dad. Now that you have seen the light, buy the Webers....John and I need someone we can "borrow" spare parts from.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my first--Looking forward to #2 someday
Not Ranked     

Tony;

I have to agree with TC and others---you started out for more HP, torque and general awe factor at car shows. Now you have settled for a single 4 barrel? Go for the Webbers---what can be more appealing than the Webber set-up on that car??

Besides sounding great, not much looks better.......

Just my opinion....you'll be kicking yourself in the a** in 3 months questioning why you did not go that route.

BigEasy
Charlie
Old 06-11-2003, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Whoops;

btw, that would be "Webers", with a single b.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Unique FIA - SA 396 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Tony - DO IT -

Randy
Old 06-11-2003, 10:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None yet!
Send a message via Yahoo to aks801
Not Ranked     

I too am intoxicated by the looks of Weber stacks, and similarly have been talked out of them to this point.

Regarding FI, does Weber manufacture a FI stack system? I know other companies make "look alike" set ups. And if so, who is the distributor(s)?

alan
Old 06-12-2003, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You guys are right. I told my wife this morning that my vision and dream was only partially getting fullfilled by compromising on the carburation. A 427 stroker with Weber set up would be way more fun, not to mention aesthetically appealing. I've got to do it. I'll post the final decision later this afternoon. I'll have to call Pierce and the Engine Master.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Go Tony , go!! Just think how those webers will draw people at the car show---like bees to flowers!

Charlie
Old 06-13-2003, 01:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Charlie, UPDATE.....I blew off the Webers. I called Lewis this morning and told him to forget the Weber set up and please carry on. When the retrofit number crossed the $11K threshold, I pulled the plug. I will go for maximum on the carb set up and consider the 48IDA set up as a future upgrade to the stroker. I really have gotten used to the thumpty thump of a hot cam, so I'll make do. I'm going to spend a few dollars doing some polishing to the engine components for a little added show appeal. Reality is that do like driving way more than I like hanging out in parking lots.
Old 06-13-2003, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Unique FIA - SA 396 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Good move Tony - you need to do improvements in small steps otherwise you will end up at the top to soon with nowhere to go. I think your next step should be a BB stroker

Glad to hear that you don't lurk in parking lots - now if we can get the others to come clean

Randy