Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-18-2003, 04:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Old car with 6 banger
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up Back on the road

Well after what seems like enternity, my car is back on the road I started out by taking my 427 Shelby block engine to Bill Parham to have a new, more radical cam installed. Bill said "look here, you know you have the wrong engine in that FIA car, you need one on my 426 strokers"

This got me thinking, Why not, because the 427 took up so much space, my feet were just about touching the headers, and I wanted an engine that was a little more high strung. Anyway traded with Bill, and got an engine with about 490 hp that spools up quicker than the 427, and will probably hook up better. Quote from Lewis at Southern Automotive "Your car will probably out run TC's new car stop light to stop light" Quote from DC " MECOOL:

Also made the following changes: Sent old standard Jag rearend to ERA for a swap to their custom rear suspension with outboard brakes. Changed from bolt-on torque thrust wheels to FIA pin drive wheels, and 12" wildwood calipers. Swapped old radiator for an aluminum griffin radiator.

I haven't driven but a couple of miles, and going thru breakin, I can't push it too hard, (putting on flame retardant suit now) but the small block feels as strong as the 427.

Guess I will have to change my signature now...

DC
Old 07-18-2003, 05:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Congrats DC! Like you I have been on the sidelines way to long and within a week will be joining all of you. Finally! Don't crash this time.

Tony Hull
Cracker on CC
Old 07-18-2003, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold - Unique FIA - SA 396 Stroker
Not Ranked     

Great news Dave, you will love that motor. My 396 stroker pulls like a freight train and revs like a chain saw, I can only imagine what yours will be like. Welcome to the SB group (if you can call 426 small). Let's all try and get together this weekend, we can cruise over to TC's and watch him work on his coke can car.

Randy
Old 07-18-2003, 11:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You car was broken ? I did not know that !
I bet it had a loose nut between the seat and the wheel !
gLAD YOUR BACK ON THE ROAD KEEP AN EYE ON YOUR MIRRORS
sPYDEE, THE sawed off pistolero in the squished Pinto
Old 07-19-2003, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Guys,

I can relate to the down-time. I finally sent my carb. to be checked out and tuned, as I was tired of fouling plugs every 100 miles, and our friends at UPS ("brown") performed some unwanted custom work during the shipment. I'm told I should be getting the carb. back this week, but we all know how that goes.

On another subject, doe anyone know anything about these lead (tetraethyl) fuel additives to increase octane rating, help with lubrication, and exhaust temp.? There's a co. in Utah that sells this lead additive, and they claim you can move 93 octane pump gas to 101 octane with 3 oz of their additive per gallon.

Thanks,
Joel
Old 07-20-2003, 04:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

No way Joel. If that were the case the fuel companies would be offering 100 +. Do a search on this site and you will get plenty of information. Unless your motor is over 10:1 you don't need it.

Randy
Old 07-20-2003, 07:08 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2 dr roadster, V-8, 4 spd.
Not Ranked     
Default Re: Back on the road

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Crace
[/b]
. Quote from Lewis at Southern Automotive "Your car will probably out run TC's new car stop light to stop light"

P.S. anyone know where I can buy a Nitrous setup?? Between John Owen, Cracker, and DC, I cry uncle

How's about a pic or two DC.
Old 07-20-2003, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Randy,

Regarding the lead additive, go to www.kemcooil.com and let me know what you think. I've also found a few similar claims about this product on other sites.

Too good to be true?

Thanks,
Joel
Old 07-21-2003, 06:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Joel I don't believe it, but I am a hard sell. At $12 a quart I would just buy racing fuel if I needed the higher octane. Do a search on this site and you will find stuff you can buy at the paint store to boost octane.
How are you getting almost 700 HP out of a small block ?

Randy
Old 07-22-2003, 06:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Randy,

I think I'm going to buy a couple of quarts and give it a try. I received an email back from a Corvette guy in Mass. who says it works great. He says he's been using it for 12 years and selling it for 9 years. I figure it's worth $25 or so to try it out.

Regarding hp, I'm not sure how that much power is being pulled out a small block; however, Ernie Elliott does.

I'll let you know if the lead additive seems to work.

Joel
Old 07-22-2003, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Send a message via MSN to CowtownCobra
Not Ranked     

re: additive

I believe it. Lead will dramatically increase octane.

Just don't get caught in CA with the stuff, you might get life
Old 07-22-2003, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Joel - I want to invite you to our Sunday cruise to Helen. Of course I do need let you know that from Marietta it might be quite a haul and I don't know how far that stretched small block can go between rebuilds Just kidding and that car has got to be a rocket - IF you can get traction that is. Hope to see you and the car come Sunday or sometime soon!
Old 07-22-2003, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Cracker,

I'd love to go but can't this weekend. I'll be rebuilding my engine (just kidding).

Hopefully, someone will organize something in August.

Joel