24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 07-25-2007, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Searching for one to buy
Not Ranked     
Default Still Looking

Hi folks:

Does anyone know what the best Cobra kit is to build. I hear that there are pors and cons on all of them? Mostly I hear about the body fitting. I have looked at Factory five, Shell Valley, Street Beasts, Classic Roadsters, Backdraft racing. The finished product on all of them look good to me. At least in the pictures.

I enjoy reading all the posts I am still trying to get use to how this forum works and I hope this reaches someone.

Jim
Old 07-25-2007, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I too am doing research on which is the best one to buy/build. There is a huge amount of info on this site. I use the "search" option to research specific concerns. Good luck.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotic
Not Ranked     

Please give B&B a chance...super people...I just did tour of thier facility and was impressed with the attention to detail these people have...they were loading a finished roller on the car hauler....an employee did'nt like the looks of the overrides on the back and switched them out...service after the sale is as important as the price you pay...I have an LAE, forerunner of the B&B and they help me with the slightest of questions I have...stoutest frame you will see...this helps keep the fiberglass body from "moving" and causing stress cracks in the glass later...look at any corvette with a couple of years on it and you will know what I mean.
good luck
Old 07-26-2007, 11:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Bought an Exact carbon car in TX. Bought a 427 sideoiler with 630 HP
Not Ranked     

I spent a year lurking this forum. I too got the bug to build a Factory Five. I ordered the assembly manual and looked through it. I decided that I didn't have the patience to see the project through to completion. I found a B&B in San Diego for a great price and bought it to test the waters. I discovered I really liked Cobras but that I am more of a purist and wanted a very accurate recreation that I could afford. I found a Hi Tech (now defunct) and finished it. Spend time researching the forum and going to club events and asking lots of questions. It's a great group of people.
John

Last edited by double ugly; 07-26-2007 at 11:55 AM..
Old 07-26-2007, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA; 331 stroker; TKO 600:3.54 Rear
Not Ranked     

Mysticle. What's better "chevy or ford". That's kinda like your question. There are a lot of kits out there, and companies that sell only "turnkey minus" like Backdraft and Superformance. CSX, Shelby American made replicas, big$$$$, Kirkham Brothers Aluminum bodied replicas, outstanding engineering, georgeous cars, they have a sale on right now on 427 rollers for $50,000 (approximately) and you add engine & trans. Then, ERA in New Britain, Ct. in my opinion the best chasis in the business, exact replica bodies and details of the original exteriors and interiors (passenger compartment, trunk and engine compartment), you can buy the component car and assemble yourself, or order a turnkey or turnkey minus; Superformance from South Africa, very consistent high quality, turnkey minus; Unique Motorcars in Gadsen, Al., build it yourself or order a turnkey. Very high quality component car. Then there is Backdraft, Hurricane. Check out Cobra Country for details on used cars - this will get you more familiar with car details and market prices. They offer a guide on Cobra Buying, get one - it's a good read of the major replicar manufacturers. Then plan some visits to dealers and factories. You need to get educated then form your own opinion of who makes what YOU want. Have fun. Rickd
Old 08-04-2007, 05:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: roadster/coupeGT350 clone/GT40
Not Ranked     

Consider Unique, and they are near by in Gasden, AL. Go visit them cb
Old 08-04-2007, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

There are a number of good kits out there. A lot of it depends on what kind of car you're after, what kind of work you're willing to do, and how much you're willing to pay.

The top companies are probably Factory Five, Unique, Superformance, Kirkham, Shell Valley, and possibly Backdraft (in no particular order). Each company seems to have a slightly differant design goal, and a slightly differant look. I think Kirkham and Unique are the only ones producing a FIA car.

When I was buying mine, it was a close call between FFR and Unique.

I remember seeing a kit that was really high tech. Had inboard shocks, adjustable sway bars, monocoque space frame. Really trick. But now I can't remember which one that was.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C 427 done by Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

My research brought me to Unique and ERA, it seemed pretty much a dead heat to me. After talking to both companies, and a trip to Gadsden with a punch list for my car I am now very much pleased with my Unique 427S/C.
I had the 427, which Southern Auitomotive rebuilt and paired it with a 4speed toploader.
Lou
Old 08-27-2007, 09:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #298, 302 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I know what you are going through. I subscribed to Kit Car And Kit Car Builder magazines , did WEB research, on and on. I had pretty much decided on Unique based on the Pallet Kit and my limited garage space I would have to give up. Hurricane came out and they looked good also. I was on vacation in Florida , went by Backdraft and drove their demo. I had them on my list and the drive sealed the deal. The only thing keeping me from a Unique was getting it painted locally, but I understand they will get them painted for you also.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra-less
Not Ranked     

Mysticle,
I have a 3yr old Backdraft with 6K miles on it. Blue with white stripes. 392 engine. Very nice. PM me if you are interested. I am in the Auburn area.
AL

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: