LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-17-2007, 07:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #821,Southern Automotive 427 Side Oiler w/2x4
Not Ranked     
Default Serious WOW factor

SUBJECT: The Barn

A New York man retired. He wanted to use his retirement money wisely, so it would last, and decided to buy a home and a few acres in Portugal.
The modest farmhouse had been vacant for 15yrs.; the owner and wife both had died, and there were no heirs.
The house was sold to pay taxes.
There had been several lookers, but the large barn had steel doors,
and they had been welded shut. Nobody wanted to go to the extra expense to see what was in the barn, and it wasn't complimentary to
the property anyway......so, nobody made an offer on the place.

The NY guy bought it at just over half of the property's worth, moved in, and set about to tear in to the barn.......curiosity was killing him.
So, he and his wife bought a generator, and a couple of grinders.......and cut thru the welds.
What was in the barn...............?
Go to;
www.intuh.net/barnfinds/afa70.htm

Alas no cobras
Old 08-17-2007, 07:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 559. 410 Stroker 72 block AFR205 Heads, Solid roller lifters, Comp Cams XR286, Eagle 4" stroke internally balanced with chevy journals, Oliver rods, Probe Forged pistons, Mighty Demon, Super Victor, MSD Digital 6.....
Not Ranked     

Nice find... I wonder what that find is worth???
TKO 600 .82 OD (Road Race)
HP= Enough!!
Old 08-17-2007, 07:56 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Talk about your fetishes...many of those cars were junkers, too. Maybe he had thing for grabbing and storing...or they are all stolen.

-Dean
Old 08-17-2007, 07:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRII with a Stroked Windsor
Not Ranked     

That didn't really happen. there is a news article out on the net about it and what really happened. the guy was an auto broker and started that myth. He even hired a photographer to photograph the cars.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous owner of SPF#1938, with a Keith Craft 496ci Genesis 427 side oiler, 667 FWHP, 633 FWTQ, 560 RWHP, 550 RWTQ.
Not Ranked     
Thumbs down

Interesting story but not necessarily accurate. Per snopes.com:

The referenced pictures were indeed taken in a barn somewhere in Portugal, but the "lucky find" aspect of the story doesn't quite ring true. As Tom Cotter of Sports Car Market magazine noted when he looked into this story:
Huge collections of cars don't just happen. Cars are accumulated — sometimes lovingly, sometimes not — by someone with a purpose. I was sure this collection was not assembled by accident; nobody would simply sell an old farm and fail to mention to the new owners the stash of old cars in the barn.
What he found out by tracking down the photographer was that the owner of the barn (and the 180 or so vintage cars contained within) was not a lucky buyer who had just purchased the property and was astonished to find a treasure trove in one of the farm buildings. The owner was an automobile dealer in the 1970s and 1980s who had built up his assemblage of cars over the years and stashed it in the barn (locking the structure up when it was full) and who simply hired a photographer recently to document his collection.

Don't interfere with somethin' that ain't botherin' you none.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #821,Southern Automotive 427 Side Oiler w/2x4
Not Ranked     

I was wondering if it was a hoax. All the cars looked like they had been there quite awhile based on the crud on them