LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-25-2007, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Post GA Title and Registration

I just spoke with the GA DMV.
This is the legal way to Title and Register your newly built "kit car" "Replica" and "Assembled Motor Vehicle.

http://clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88796

HTH The new builders, but they probably won't like it.
Rich

Last edited by Rich A; 08-07-2008 at 11:00 AM.. Reason: New information at this link
Old 09-25-2007, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR # 165 392 Ford Crate 430HP
Not Ranked     

If I ever get moved totally to Ga and want to register my Backdraft which is titled here in Fl as a 1965 what year will it be titled as in Ga, also what is the yearly tax on a car like a Backdraft in Ga, I have some friends who live there now and if you own an expensive newer car like a Cad-BMW the yearly tax is a little high at least compared to Florida where there is none.. at least there if you buy used from private party no sales tax is due.. anyone know the answer.. post or email me at 900rf@bellsouth.net
Old 10-01-2007, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 92 Classic Roadsters, 408CI Clevor, T-56
Not Ranked     

My Cobra was originaly titled in Oregon as a 1965. It was registered in Georgia as a 1965. No emissions. No ad valorem tax either!
Old 10-02-2007, 06:31 AM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Slumming currently with 67 GT350
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by trs900
If I ever get moved totally to Ga and want to register my Backdraft which is titled here in Fl as a 1965 what year will it be titled as in Ga, also what is the yearly tax on a car like a Backdraft in Ga, I have some friends who live there now and if you own an expensive newer car like a Cad-BMW the yearly tax is a little high at least compared to Florida where there is none.. at least there if you buy used from private party no sales tax is due.. anyone know the answer.. post or email me at 900rf@bellsouth.net
You'd title it in GA as a '65, and your ad valorum would be around $30.
Old 10-04-2007, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C 427 done by Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

Just received my Ga. registration renewal notice for my registered '65, and the ad valorum is $1.06 plus the other tag and mail fee amounts. Should those of us already registered in Ga. be concerned by what RichA is referring to ?
Lou
Old 10-04-2007, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Should those of us already registered in Ga. be concerned by what RichA is referring to ?
for27,
No

This only applies to new builds.
Not kits that have been registered previously in another state.

I just recently heard that the DMV will not register newly built kits.
I don't know how true this is or if it only applies to certain counties.
Probably more changes to come.

Last edited by Rich A; 10-04-2007 at 02:44 PM..
Old 10-04-2007, 02:58 PM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich A
for27,
No

This only applies to new builds.
Not kits that have been registered previously in another state.

I just recently heard that the DMV will not register newly built kits.
I don't know how true this is or if it only applies to certain counties.
Probably more changes to come.
That is an incorrect statement about not registering new replicas.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 S/C 427 done by Southern Automotive
Not Ranked     

Well guys, I will be bringing my renewal registration form to the DMV next week to pay the fee and get my new sticker. I'll surely report back if I experience anything of concern for those of us already registered.
Lou
Old 10-04-2007, 05:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2275 #50 of the anniversary edition cars. Roush 427R TKO600
Not Ranked     

why not just renew online...much easier.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

GA registration/titling problem.

http://www.ffcobra.com/ubb/ultimateb.../t/097612.html
Old 10-27-2007, 12:37 PM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default titling

I have called numerous tax collector offices and spoke with the person who deals with vehicles and none have said there have been any changes, only to motorcycles, which must have a NHTSA certification label on the chassis. I called the GA office who does salvage stuff, and sat on hold forever and got some no name who said a supervisor would have to address my question, of which none were available, and none returned my call. ()*&@#$ing shocking.... I do know of someone trying to get their new replica registered, and they've been given a Form T-22B, which simply has a law officer or county tag agent verify the vin plate, which I assume to be the plate that are affixed to all SPF vehcles. That is then provided to the tag office, along with a applicable paperwork, which would indicate to me that they no longer title cars under "rebuilt" titles, but I might be misreading things. I'm going to call the tag office in Hall on Monday and see if this is all that is needed, or if indeed the "kit car business" in Georgia is dead. I emailed the SEMA contact a couple months ago, and he responded that "they are working with local Govt officials", but nothing is in work. He sent me a sample of the wording for legislation and asked me contact any/all who care about the industry to call on their local gov't officials to assist in getting the law changed. Jason Tolleson is the point of contact as SEMA, jasont@sema.org. Jason Tolleson's number is 202/783-6007, ext. 39. Florida and Colorado are the most recent to amend their laws to title as the year replicating.

Bill
www.starrformance.com
Old 10-27-2007, 04:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Bill, You got a PM
Old 11-07-2007, 06:06 AM
CC Member / Sponsor
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich A
Bill, You got a PM
I've now spoken with several Dept of Revenue and DMV folks. From what I've learned, and edict was handed down by Douglas Hooper, DMV head that said replicas/kits do not meet current NTHSA rules, thusly, they can no longer be titled. I do not know if this was a legislative decision, or if Dougie made his own decision. I plan on pursuing this further. From what I can tell, if you walk into your Tax Revenue office with Form T-22R, your license and proof of insurance, you can register, not title, your replica as the year you're replicating. Know of people in several counties where this has been done. What ramifications this causes when it's time to sell the car, I don't know, but I think GA doesn't issue titles for any vehicle older than 25 years old. Not sure how that works if you move to this state and transfer in a titled classic car from another state. I'll keep posting as I figure things out... Truly sucks that this has to be so difficult, with so many pieces of s*** on the roads, especially around G'ville......
Old 11-07-2007, 07:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR1427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissioner
What ramifications this causes when it's time to sell the car, I don't know, but I think GA doesn't issue titles for any vehicle older than 25 years old.
It's optional to obtain a title for vehicles from 1963 thru 1985. Georgia does not issue titles for anything 1962 and older. You can see their explanation of it here

Maybe someone has mis-read the list of what Georgia does NOT title?

Homemade car/tow dollies

Maybe they read it as "homemade cars" ... AND ... "tow dollies" ?? Just sayin. The idea of Georgia saying they will no longer title a kit car is a little strange to me.

If you want to register your NEW vehicle in GA - ie: your "kit, replica, whatevr you want to call it" car is to be titled the year is was completed/inspected, then this shows what is needed. Georgia makes NO provisions for replica vehicles as far as titling, registration, or emissions go.

If you title your replica the year is was completed and live in the 13 counties (metro Atlanta), Georgia will require it to meet emission testing standards. If you live in the other 146 counties in Georgia that do NOT require emissions, then hey ... you are good to go.

For registrations, if you walk in to the tag office with a Bill Of Sale and Insurance (vehicles 25 yrs and older are exempt from emissions testing) for a "196-something Cobra" - Georgia will issue a registration (tag). The current system can only identify 17 character VINs. They will NOT issue a title based on a Bill of Sale.

BTW - do NOT take what I put here online as the final word. You will be acting on your own regards. Do NOT print this out and wave it the face of someone at the tag/title office. I am merely offering links and ideas of HOW TO obtain a title or tag for your Replica Cobra.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superformance MKIII 402 Roush engine
Not Ranked     

From I understand, I talked to several people at the DMV/Tag office in the last few days and they said that no tag or titled would be given to vehicles that are classified as replicas or kit cars on any counties accross Georgia.
They said that the law has changed in July 07 and until further notice from the state they will not issue tag or titled for these type of cars.
Old 11-16-2007, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR # 165 392 Ford Crate 430HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxom
From I understand, I talked to several people at the DMV/Tag office in the last few days and they said that no tag or titled would be given to vehicles that are classified as replicas or kit cars on any counties accross Georgia.
They said that the law has changed in July 07 and until further notice from the state they will not issue tag or titled for these type of cars.
That sucks.. I was thinking of registering my backdraft in Georgia which I just bought from a private party with a Mass title..
Old 11-16-2007, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: blue apparition
Not Ranked     

The state of Georgia has become a commonwealth of b.s.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superformance MKIII 402 Roush engine
Not Ranked     

did anyone hear anything else since November on this?
Old 02-13-2008, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

trs900,
Since your is aready registered in MASS you shouldn't have a problem in GA.
It's the people that are trying to register/title their newly built (never been register/title in any state) kit/replicas that are having the problems.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hurricane Motorsports, Southern Automotive 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissioner View Post
I emailed the SEMA contact a couple months ago, and he responded that "they are working with local Govt officials", but nothing is in work. He sent me a sample of the wording for legislation and asked me contact any/all who care about the industry to call on their local gov't officials to assist in getting the law changed. Jason Tolleson is the point of contact as SEMA, jasont@sema.org. Jason Tolleson's number is 202/783-6007, ext. 39. Florida and Colorado are the most recent to amend their laws to title as the year replicating.

Bill
Starrformance :: Vinatge Motorsports
Bill/Anyone:
Has any serious lobbying/organization occurred in GA to help change the laws? SEMA really works best when there is a large(ish) group of folks that organize like minded folks and coordinate letter writing/phone calls with a representative to meet with local officials.