LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-16-2008, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Hot Off the press: Georgia Registration/Title

http://www.legis.ga.gov/legis/2007_08/sum/hb950.htm

It looks like Georgia Representatives are trying to do something........."But what I dont know"
Old 01-16-2008, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR # 165 392 Ford Crate 430HP
Not Ranked     

Hopefully you can get a title..
Old 01-16-2008, 01:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I smell smoke.
Sam
Old 01-16-2008, 02:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

This is just the beginning.
They still have to figure out what they are going to register/title them as. (ie year, model, and make)
Old 01-16-2008, 05:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Street Beasts 302 HO
Not Ranked     

I looked at some of the "original code", which says you can't register a vehicle if it doesn't meet Federal Emmission standards.* The "proposed code" eliminates that requirement.It looks like they have figured a way to get $260 out of you, if you want a title.* A title isn't required in Georgia for a vehicle now 40 years old.* I can drive all day with a tag and insurance.I have friends that have used a "service" to get a Florida title.* The North Georgia boys have to pass emmission tests.* Here in the swamp, they don't know if it's emissions or just more swamp gas.* Now I just need to figure out how to bottle it.Get a tag and drive your car:* let the "next owner" worry about a title if they want to.* In the swamp, if it ain't stolen, it's yours.
Old 01-16-2008, 06:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

52chevyred what does the plate cost per year on a replica, I know Georgia nails you on a new car=yearly tax. Insurance agent said he pays $1100 a year for tag for motorhome. Are replicas taxed differently ??
Old 01-16-2008, 06:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, 351/425 hp, Red w/blk vibrance stripes
Not Ranked     

They should model it after the SEMA related bills that are passing in other states. Title it as the year it represents. Typical politics....make it harder than it needs to be.
Thanks for the info Rich. I will be calling my reps tommorrow.
Please consider calling.......it is in our best interest.

Gerry
Old 01-17-2008, 11:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #821,Southern Automotive 427 Side Oiler w/2x4
Not Ranked     

My Superformanc is registered as a 65 Ford Cobra
2007 Ad Valorem Tax: $1.69
Tag Fee: $20.00
Mail Fee $1.00
Special Tag(65Cobra) $25.00
Total $47.69
I don't have a title though
Old 01-17-2008, 01:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by trs900
52chevyred what does the plate cost per year on a replica, I know Georgia nails you on a new car=yearly tax. Insurance agent said he pays $1100 a year for tag for motorhome. Are replicas taxed differently ??
It's based on the year of the car on your bill of sale or MSO. My Bill of Sale and MSO says 1966 Cobra. The tag and tax is about $50 (based on where I live).

Georgia is one of the most complicated states for a title for "older" cars, because they aren't required for cars over 15 years old. Granted, if I actually bought my Cobra back in 1966, I would have a 1966 Georgia title.
To try to get one for something that really isn't 40+ years old is complicated.

I would just get a tag: all you need is a Bill of Sale and proof of insurance. The car is just as legally yours, as if it had a title.

I hope this helps.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys I have a Backdraft with Florida title showing 1965 running antique plate here also so I guess I would just keep the title and get a Georgia tag only ?? or since it already is titled in Florida maybe get lucky and get a Georgia title when turning in Fl title.. damn this sounds complicated.. LOL
Old 01-17-2008, 04:56 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by trs900
Thanks guys I have a Backdraft with Florida title showing 1965 running antique plate here also so I guess I would just keep the title and get a Georgia tag only ?? or since it already is titled in Florida maybe get lucky and get a Georgia title when turning in Fl title.. damn this sounds complicated.. LOL
I think that will work, since you already have a Florida title. Georgia is going to charge an "import fee", I think, when you buy your tag. If I bought your car in Fla, they would charge me about $200. It may be less if you are moving to Georgia. The Tax Man is always glad to take your money.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:15 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR - 351 / 385 hp
Not Ranked     

trs900 - I bought my BDR in Boynton Beach & had it titled in FL. When I brought it to GA I had it registered but NOT titled in GA, I still have the FL title. I bought a vanity plate in GA & pay about $50 / year for tag. No problem so far
Old 01-17-2008, 05:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 2008/351W/TOP-LOADER
Not Ranked     

I guess I'm pretty lucky! I have a Ga. title ( 1965 Cobra Conv.) and full registration too. My tags were below $30 bucks with my "NOS" 1965 Ga. Plate. I here it is really tough to get a title in Ga.! The main purpose of a title is for resale and legality I suppose. I have a 66 Fastback that I've owned for 17 years in Ga. and all I have is a bill of sale, no title. One previous owner took a loan out with the car as the backing, before this he applied for a lost title. He soon defaulted on the loan and the new owner had to fight for the car! Now there are two titles out there for one car! I will never see a title I'm afraid. If I ever sell my car and get another Cobra, I think trying to resale the next one would be tough to do. I know a lot of states are cracking down and trying to sell a car to someone in a state that needs a title to bring it in, is tough. I think it's easier to get a heart transplant than to get a title!! Thanks, Matt.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedysnake
trs900 - I bought my BDR in Boynton Beach & had it titled in FL. When I brought it to GA I had it registered but NOT titled in GA, I still have the FL title. I bought a vanity plate in GA & pay about $50 / year for tag. No problem so far
That might not be a bad thing as when you go to sell it you could at least give buyer the Florida title showing proof of ownership.. seems to me without a title it would be tough to sell to out of state buyers, title is really only decent way to show ownership in MHO.. did your insurance rate go down also..

Thanks everyone
Old 01-22-2008, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #821,Southern Automotive 427 Side Oiler w/2x4
Not Ranked     

In GA if you have an out of state title you probably can get one here ...BUT only if has never been reg'd in GA. My Torino was titled in SC. I then went to GA and they said that it had previously been reg'd in GA w/o title so they would not give me one. I now have a SC title and I have a place in Alabama. They will give me a title