Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > AC MKIV

Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-15-2011, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 427 S/C 428 FE+toploader
Not Ranked     
Default Mk V k'kit' ...?

VillaMoto: Cobra

id be interested to know what value such a car would have if it was faithfully built to factory spec. (at home).

what spec would be the next question ofcourse .... MkIV or MkV?

One day i will get a project like this!

Last edited by KevinW; 08-15-2011 at 04:06 PM..
Old 08-15-2011, 04:29 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Kevin,
What would you do (or think) about the design liberties they took with the nose, cockpit, etc.?
Wouldn't you be better off with a Kirkham for a 'factory spec' Cobra?
And what factory are you referring to?
I inquired about that chassis and frame a year ago but I didn't follow through due to the fact that it was MkIV/MkV-ish.
It could make for a very nice car. I hope they don't leave it out in the elements.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:30 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
VillaMoto: Cobra

id be interested to know what value such a car would have if it was faithfully built to factory spec. (at home).

what spec would be the next question ofcourse .... MkIV or MkV?

One day i will get a project like this!
Mk V "Malta" cars...they were ALL kits! Not sold as such, but the finishing required to make any sort of proper motorcar was more than a Factory Five kit requires. I met a "MK V" onwer recently and saw the car. He has put lots of hours into making a running, driving car. Sadly AC did not!

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 08-15-2011, 06:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #766, FE V8, Toploader
Not Ranked     

The photos on their website show a kit that is nowhere near looking authentic. See the ERA website for a full discourse on this subject. No matter which kit you buy after that, at least you'll be better prepared to buy what will best meet your needs, and why.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, all the points made duly noted!

I'm aware of the quality/failings of the MkV, and I dont much like the rear light arrangement, or the hideous use of suede on some cars. Indeed, I'd be hacked off if i spent around $100k on a car and it was badly put together. But, talking to my replicant brothers, we all know these things are easily fixed. And we know that the cobra is actually a pretty straightforward car for anyone with reasonable practical skills.

The attraction of this chassis and body is that if it were fully assembled correctly, to say MkIV spec(??), then it might(???) be an appreciating assset. All the Brooklands/Frimley cars seem to be going up , at least at the dealers, although i dont know what they actually sell for. I dont know about the US, but in the UK, your replica usually flatlines at rouhgly what you spend to build her, or keeps up with replica car price inflation (which isnt great) if its a good 'un.

So my thoughts are that with a set of cobra replica skillls anyone could put this together and potentially sit on an appreciating asset? (and without the expense of an FE). Or does the lack of 'Built by....' certification consign this one to the unwanted orphans home?

Interested on your thoughts, especially MkIV owners.
Old 08-16-2011, 03:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

btw couldnt find anything on the ERA website? be interested to read more.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: AC427 MkIII of 2004 vintage
Not Ranked     

Had to smile when you made the claim that "these things are easily fixed". Not on the MkV it ain't!!!!!! Cheaper to throw it in the scrapper and start again (no exaggeration)
Old 08-16-2011, 04:29 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

I think you would end up with a niether fish nor fowl item, i.e. not a factory "AC" but more than a "kit". Unless it is dirt cheap I don't think there would be enough extra value to justify the amount of work required.

I have a nice MK IV available you could import and actually have something that will not cause nasty comments behind your back!

I agree with Trevor save for the chassis, you could mount a DAX or other body on the chassis and possibly have a decent kit car. The bodywork and fits on the MK V I saw would have gotten the fiberglass guys at Factory Five flogged for the effort. Even the "winos" at Brownlowe Sheet Metal never shipped such tat.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 08-16-2011, 04:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
Well, all the points made duly noted!

I'm aware of the quality/failings of the MkV, and I dont much like the rear light arrangement, or the hideous use of suede on some cars. Indeed, I'd be hacked off if i spent around $100k on a car and it was badly put together. But, talking to my replicant brothers, we all know these things are easily fixed. And we know that the cobra is actually a pretty straightforward car for anyone with reasonable practical skills.

The attraction of this chassis and body is that if it were fully assembled correctly, to say MkIV spec(??), then it might(???) be an appreciating assset. All the Brooklands/Frimley cars seem to be going up , at least at the dealers, although i dont know what they actually sell for. I dont know about the US, but in the UK, your replica usually flatlines at rouhgly what you spend to build her, or keeps up with replica car price inflation (which isnt great) if its a good 'un.

So my thoughts are that with a set of cobra replica skillls anyone could put this together and potentially sit on an appreciating asset? (and without the expense of an FE). Or does the lack of 'Built by....' certification consign this one to the unwanted orphans home?

Interested on your thoughts, especially MkIV owners.
Aluminium Mk IV prices in the UK have certainly gone up, backed up by the high quality reputation of the cars. This can't be said of the MK V though - Clive Sutton had to commission extensive work on the 3 UK Mk Vs (I believe work was carried out by Hawk, Gardner Douglas and AC Heritage) before they were fit to sell.

It's difficult to tell how much these cars will be worth in the longer term- one was sold recently in the UK for between £45-£50,000 ($80,000) which is in-line with what a good MKIV CRS (Carbon Road Series) would cost in the UK.

So if you were to pay $25,000 (£15,000) plus import taxes into the UK for this shell, and then completed the car yourself, you would be unlikely to make a huge amount of money if you subsequently sold the car. And building it at home would likely further depress the value.