Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > AC MKIV

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 1ntCobra

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 04:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default checking for opinions of AC Mk.IV owners on what AC Heritage says on their website

They have a potted history of sorts on what happened in the '80s, just want to see if AC Mk. IV owners--who have probably followed this chapter and verse-- agree.

They say for instance 489 Mk. IV cars were produced by Angliss.

They also said that Angliss more or less lost his shirt with a model called the AC Ace he introduced at the '93 London Motor Show that was all new, nothing like a Cobra. I vaguely remember that car looking like a Jensen Healey.They say that he sold the firm to A. Lubinsky who sold it to Jimmy Price (South Africa) who later washed his hands of it.

Then they say that Alan Lubinsky and Shelby got togher in 2003 and were going to make the 427 S.C and 289 FIA (series titled CSX2000 and CSX7500) but only one prototype was built. I think I have seen the 427 bodied one advertised as a prize in a charity raffle. Anyway then the production went to Malta and the history goes on.

Their website with the whole history (about 10 paragraphs in this section) is on accars.co.uk

My question is: could it only be one series 1000 car was made? Isn't Shelby using the 1000 series nomenclature again?
Confused in Cleveland
Old 01-28-2012, 07:22 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

No confusion between US and Uk production. One as a Shelby licensed product, one as an AC licensed product. Not much else to ponder.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 01-28-2012, 07:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Not much else to ponder.
Or, in the case of anything related to recent AC action....not much to care about.
Old 01-29-2012, 05:02 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Wally,

Well I assume you have not picked up your latest copy of the SAAC registry yet. For a bit of lighter reading, there is some good information on the recent history of "AC" in Trevor Legate's book "Cobra The First 40 Years".

I guess with the limited information from accars.co.uk website, your summary reads information between the lines that is a bit inaccurate. Angliss did not sell the company to Lubinsky. The banks took over AC. The banks sold a portion of "AC" to Lubinsky.

Nothing on the site you mentioned states there was only 1 CSX1000 supplied by Lubinsky. It appears that he supplied at least CSX1000 thru CSX1014 before he was unable to deliver more cars and Shelby sued him.

You may want to take a look at this thread: Aluminum Body

There are some pictures of CSX1021 there, which Shelby apparently sourced from North Devon Metalcraft | Manufacturers of replacement steel and aluminium motor bodies
Old 01-29-2012, 05:10 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Neutral     

I know I have been guilty of making some wise arse answers to some of Wally's posts here, but really, have you done ANY research? I mean between Google, Wikipedia and the web in general much of this question could be answered.

1) Why would an "AC MK IV" owners have any information on the Shelby/AC connection of recent times? I don't see where their "opinions" of the "AC Heritage" website has any relevance (and do you know who is the "AC Heritage" website, perhaps you should start there) Because I have sold a buttload of AC MK IVs, does my opinion count more?

2) Brian Angliss did not "sell" AC to anyone much less Mr. Lubinsky. Again some basic research would show the situation that caused the exit of Mr. Angliss. And Jim Price did not "purchase and then walk away" from AC. Perhaps "Whatsacobra" will pop in as he is very close to the true story.

I do know all three of the players mentioned here, Angliss, Lubinsky and Price personally and I can assure you that the history is much more complicated that you outlined.

3) The "AC Ace 'Brooklands' (to define as compared to the 50s/60s Ace) did not look like a Jensen-Healy and was in fact a source of loss to Mr. Angliss. His attempt to produce a top quaility car after the exit of Ford from AC drained substantial funds from AC/Autokraft and contributed to the problems.

4) As too the Shelby use of any CSX number series, that is entirely their choice and the numbering does not relate to the sourcing of the chassis. They may choose to make a body/frame from any one of their suppliers whatever number series they see fit to do.

Times have changed since you wrote your first "Cobra" book way back when and the amount of genuine knowledge out there today is exceeded only by the "legends" that have become "fact" due to time and multiple reprintings.

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 01-29-2012, 06:45 AM
Abnormal CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Don't think I'll be getting a Cobra for a long time... Do have '94 RX-7 R2.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Historybuff View Post
... They also said that Angliss more or less lost his shirt with a model called the AC Ace he introduced at the '93 London Motor Show that was all new, nothing like a Cobra. I vaguely remember that car looking like a Jensen Healey. ...
Wally,

It seems interesting that you vaguely remember what that car looks like when there was a picture of it on the very page you were summarizing in this thread.

To refresh your memory...

You remind me of my mom, she asks a question, does not pay attention to the answer, then asks the same question 5 minutes later and then she might ask the same question again later in the day. When she passes her misinformation on to my siblings, she gets the story half wrong and then completely makes up the other half. I wonder if there is some sort of gene responsible for that behavior. Oh crap, could you be related to my mom (... and me ... )? I'm not sure I want to know. When you get a chance, post a painting of your family tree here. If I feel brave I might take a peek.
RMK likes this.

Last edited by 1ntCobra; 01-29-2012 at 06:47 AM.. Reason: speel'ng and gram'r
Old 01-29-2012, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: AC427 MkIII of 2004 vintage
Not Ranked     

I dunno - I write all this stuff in me book and then find people asking questions here, that any muppet can read for themselves. Wonder why I bother sometimes

As for Jimmy "washing his hands of AC" - as if!! About as far from the truth as you can possibly get.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:37 AM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor Legate View Post
I dunno - I write all this stuff in me book and then find people asking questions here, that any muppet can read for themselves. Wonder why I bother sometimes

As for Jimmy "washing his hands of AC" - as if!! About as far from the truth as you can possibly get.
He didn't "wash his hands", he "got hosed!" Big difference!

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/