Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > AC MKIV

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default The latest AC Mk VI

This is the current Corvette powered AC Mk VI built in Germany.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

And further photos of the Mk VI. AC describe the bodyshell as 'handmade Alucoated composite body reinforced with honeycomb and carbon.' Choice of 440 and supercharged 550hp engines.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Can be mistaken for a Factory Five.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra/427
Not Ranked     

Really nice, however, I think (it is just my very own opinion) with all the great FE Engines available that can outmuscle a Corvette engine why not use them? It seems sacriligeus to use anything other than Ford powerplant.
Basque1
Old 06-09-2012, 10:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I think it's sole sales will be European based. Have they done away with the English Dax based body or just shaped the front fender arches up? Either way its poorly thoughtout and deserves better for the AC brand! Why didnt they put some genuine effort into this car or just rebadge a Superformance or a Shelby Csx6000 car? For the money I'd have a Kirkham or at least something more authentic looking with a Ford motor under the hood. I'm sure the German builder of these cars is the Dax dealer in his country. Oh well it will be another lesson learned for AC I'm sure... My 2c
Old 06-09-2012, 10:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

I friggin' love it! That sleek, low slung Dax-based body is pure sex - remember that the man behind that shape is John Tojeiro, the creator of the original AC design that spawned the Cobra. Some non-traditional touches, but this is not touted as a '60's Cobra replica, it's a 2012 AC. Too bad about Lube-insky and the dragged through the muck modern day legacy of AC, but the car is a beauty.

The red/tan combo looks good to me as well, and I even like the dash and interior layout. This may just be the inspiration for my next Cobra makeover.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 06-09-2012 at 10:44 AM..
Old 06-09-2012, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yeah it's styled for the euros they big into tuck N roll look...... There has been other discusions on The shape lately. From its Arntz anncestory it's changed shape. But the Cobra shape is in the public domain and is is subject to artistic license.....
Old 06-09-2012, 11:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

To each his own I suppose, and nothing wrong at all with that; but to me the Dax shape and stance is far more pleasing to the eye than the higher, chunkier look of the Contemporary based replicas like SPF, E-M, etc. I recognize readily and amicably that many disagree with me wholeheartedly on this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

Old 06-09-2012, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.M.B.C View Post
I think it's sole sales will be European based. Have they done away with the English Dax based body or just shaped the front fender arches up? Either way its poorly thoughtout and deserves better for the AC brand! Why didnt they put some genuine effort into this car or just rebadge a Superformance or a Shelby Csx6000 car? For the money I'd have a Kirkham or at least something more authentic looking with a Ford motor under the hood. I'm sure the German builder of these cars is the Dax dealer in his country. Oh well it will be another lesson learned for AC I'm sure... My 2c
The AC company last built cars in England in 2005 before their move to Malta where the few Mk Vs produced were of very poor quality. Since that operation failed, AC have licenced their trademark to other companies rather than build their own cars.

The current setup involves Steve Gray's AC Heritage producing the traditional aluminium Ford engined cars at Brooklands - the spiritual successor to Brian Angliss's organisation - and Jurgen Mohr's AC Automotive producing the Mk VI, which according to reports I've read, is built to a high standard. Steve Gray apparently had a role in converting the original DAX shape of the Mk VI into an AC.

Under the latest plans, Jimmy Price has also joined the new AC company and will be building the new 378 GT Zagato and an AC badged version of the Superformance Mk11 Slabside in South Africa.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Has anyone been able to come up with a comprehensive explanation of the "alucoating" process?

Old 06-09-2012, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
I friggin' love it! That sleek, low slung Dax-based body is pure sex - remember that the man behind that shape is John Tojeiro, the creator of the original AC design that spawned the Cobra. Some non-traditional touches, but this is not touted as a '60's Cobra replica, it's a 2012 AC. Too bad about Lube-insky and the dragged through the muck modern day legacy of AC, but the car is a beauty.

The red/tan combo looks good to me as well, and I even like the dash and interior layout. This may just be the inspiration for my next Cobra makeover.

There are couple of Mk VIs on sale at the French Distributor for 135 and 159k euros - around $169k and $198k.

The black supercharged car looks good:

Occasion AC MK VI, véhicules de prestige - Formulalease
Old 06-10-2012, 04:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Crendon 427 S/C 428 FE+toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Has anyone been able to come up with a comprehensive explanation of the "alucoating" process?
I remenmber reading somewhere that (my words) this is basically a plastic body with very very thin aluminium pressed on top. Hence ali to the touch, but it is literally just 'skin-deep'.

Im afraid i have to say that I dont like it as for me it looks too modern, but thats just me.
I also dont understand why someone would pay so much money for the badge, when a perfectly acceptable GRP Dax is available for about £35k (~$55k) ready to roll.

Last edited by KevinW; 06-10-2012 at 04:50 AM..
Old 06-10-2012, 08:34 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

JMHO but to have Halibrand sorta-look-a-likes with lug nuts is just stupid and low class replica looking to me. I won't get into how weird the interior looks with the video screens. I do like the spats though.........
Old 06-10-2012, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

For those who want a traditional AC, AC Heritage at Brooklands will oblige!

KevinW likes this.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Call me old fashioned but I much prefer the Brooklands product!
Old 06-10-2012, 02:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Wink Pot, be nice to kettle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
JMHO but to have Halibrand sorta-look-a-likes with lug nuts is just stupid and low class replica looking to me. I won't get into how weird the interior looks with the video screens. I do like the spats though.........

Well I see you have REal knockoffs on your stretched and tweaked Backdraft with 2 chrome rollbars - no low class replica for you, no sir not at all!

All kidding aside though, the Brooklands product is far more of a Cobra in the true sense, while the Mark VI is a modern creation that carries on in the spirit of the original. Kinda like a BDR, but with a more authentic looking body and stance.

Edit to add - looking at your gallery pics, though I'm not a fan of the 2 bar look or the liberties BDR took with their body shape, your car is one of the nicest Backdrafts I've seen.

Last edited by Buzz; 06-10-2012 at 02:14 PM..
Old 06-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler...488" hi-rise, dry-sump FE s/o w/stacks
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.M.B.C View Post
Yeah it's styled for the euros they big into tuck N roll look...... There has been other discusions on The shape lately. From its Arntz anncestory it's changed shape. But the Cobra shape is in the public domain and is is subject to artistic license.....
Could you please explain the Arntz ancestry....thanks
Old 06-10-2012, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm curious about that too - definitely interested in hearing more. I also want to learn more about the "alucoating". I have heard that its a thin layer of aluminum over the fiberglass, but what process can actually accomplish that, how is it bonded, how durable and how on earth do you repair it?

If it can be left bare and brushed or polished up like a Kirkham, I may get the point; but if not, I really fail to see the justification for the added complication. What advantages does it offer over a real alloy body (much cheaper?) and why would it be more desirable than plain fiberglass unless there's a visible, tangible difference?

Old 06-10-2012, 06:22 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Butler...488" hi-rise, dry-sump FE s/o w/stacks
Not Ranked     

Did some research and found that in a nutshell, the British Cobra replica industry got its start by a couple of guys importing two Arntz cars to England and from there, the DAX and another dozen or so brands came about. Interesting history. Go to Cobra History - Real and Replica. Fun reading and very informative.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovehamr View Post
Agree, if you go with the halibrand look then they should look authentic. Same goes for plastering non-authentic decals over your car, just looks cheesy.