Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > AC MKIV

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By 1985 CCX
  • 1 Post By Mongoose930
  • 2 Post By AK1318
  • 2 Post By 1985 CCX

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2020, 12:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     
Default MKIV Wheel and Tire "AK1085" conversion

Just wanted to share the transformation from 16" low profile wheel set up to the thinner FIA / Power Cushion set up.

The car is stock and currnet changes are
1 K&N
2 Replaced std steering wheel with 16" correct MKIII version.
3 This change is in wheels/tires....

Original wheels were really not the best with suspension geometry and ride comfort. David Wagner told me that the 15" were indeed better matched to the frame design etc. This was also known in the 80's with Bob B testing for Ford but it sounds like the PO was in at Compo for the 16's. The world may never know.

All changes are a few bolt changes away from reversing. Easy!

Results
Changes in the ride and feel are 100% improved. Ride comfort has improved and handling seems to be on par with the size of tire. (narrow)
Better than one would expect however.... Tracks nicely without and pull.
Tire diameter has changed more so in front as the rear were close around 0.5" change.
Traction, lets face it the stock 302 does not need a big sneaker...
Need to clean up rubber on sidewall, awaiting warmer weather...
Once the rears patina a bit I'll pickle the wheel to keep it healthy then let them age for the vintage look…..
Yes, the car aslo has aton of dust on it thus the flat look. Fresh outta winter hibernation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0m4rKsTQkc
Attached Images

LMH, rodneym and desgros@vtlink. like this.

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 03-23-2020 at 06:30 AM..
Old 03-19-2020, 01:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

Looks awesome Jeff!!
1985 CCX likes this.
Old 03-21-2020, 01:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What size are the new wheels and tyres Jeff? At the risk of being a bit dim, I have no idea what pickling a wheel means. Can you elaborate?

In the meantime, I attach a pic of my latest interior tweaks. I could only get a 15" wheel without the wheel touching my legs. I think its because I have a MKIII cockpit size on my one off MKIV. I had to get a custom boss machined by MotoLita as the spline was slightly different from their standard. Replaced Cobra wheel centre with an original AC logo'd item. Also fitted a period shifter on the top loader (btw its a bugger to get into reverse given the angle and limited leverage) and Smiths conversion.

All the best and stay safe.
Attached Images

1985 CCX and xb-60 like this.

Last edited by AK1318; 03-21-2020 at 01:50 AM..
Old 03-23-2020, 06:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AK1085 (302), HTM111 (427 Comp), CSX2375R (289 Comp) and Scratch 427 S/C
Not Ranked     

Clive

Your car looks amazing, guessing the 16" wheel works on mine as there is a up and down position change allowed on the standard MKIV. Mine is all the way up as I need to fit.

I also added a YouTube video above...

Changes overall:
-Moto-Lita milled a steering boss to accept the MKIII wheel
-MKIII wheel added
-Center Cobra steering cap replaced with AC as 1986 was when these were recognized as Cobras outside the USA and only MKIV at the time of build. MKIV in the US as well....

Wheels are magnesium 6.5" x 15" six pin
Tires are 775-15 2-Ply bias

Pickling is done after some oxidation has occurred protecting outside of the wheel they will be soaked in oil as a preservative as magnesium does not weather well exposed to air. Even wax does not make them last long.
The process:
1) Soak rims in a penetrating oil like WD40, overnight
2) Wipe with rag then soak in "Gun Oil" as the final protectant. 24 hrs
3) Wipe and then do it annually step 2 only

One can have the Dow 7 of today done however that is sacrificial coating and needs annual (depending on the environment) re-do. $$$$ The gold speckles in the front is the remaining Dow 7 BTW.
The oil too is annual re-do however it is easy and can be done at home.
Learned this trick from Lynn Park, Drew Serb etc....

Note: Front wheels are already done thus the darker look as these were in my parts stash a number of years. The rears are casting about 5 years old and new outta box. I will oil in the next month after more oxidation then they will match the front and be protected.

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 03-23-2020 at 06:53 AM..
Old 03-24-2020, 12:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I love the look of the wheels Jeff. Not just the colour, but also the alternate "filled in" webs compared to the all open variety. I'm going to have my wheels painted matt black when we escape these virus ridden times.

Like standard MKIVs, Lightweight MKIV's (and mine with this MKIII cockpit) also have a small amount of vertical adjustment. However, there is a cross member which limits upward movement and mine it at max height. Even with the 15" wheel its very tight. Dropping the seat and machining a spacer to fit behind the boss are also projects to create more clearance for when normality returns.

Keep safe everyone.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I too love the look.
Aged they always get attention as they are only oiled.
Attached Images

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 03-24-2020 at 10:48 AM..
Old 05-05-2020, 10:39 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Finally topless...…
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2023, 12:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Working my initial issue.
Spacing for street wheels and retaining stock pipe.
Attached Images

xb-60 and Alfa02 like this.

Last edited by 1985 CCX; 11-19-2023 at 01:00 PM..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: