24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 11-17-2009, 05:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     
Default PRW Ford FE Shaft Mounted Roller Rocker Kits

I've been getting some good response from these kits over on the FE Forum. I have about 20 of these kits out in customer cars so far. These are a great mid-level kit if you want more performance than a stock FE setup and don't want to spend $700 for an Erson kit.

These come with hardened shafts, stand studs, all billet stands (complete with end stands), and aluminum (or stainless) roller tip rocker bodies that are bushed (and grooved). They use standard cup/ball FE pushrods. This kit also comes with spacers and shims to work with any FE cylinder head, including the Edelbrock heads. A pushrod length checker is also included.

These kits run $470 (including shipping to lower 48) for the aluminum kits and $570 (including shipping) for the stainless steel rocker bodies.

I would use the aluminum kits for all flat tappet cams and hydraulic rollers. The stainless kits will handle more open pressure and would be great for solid roller camshafts.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Hello Brent, how are these compared to the Erson's or the newer Comp Cams, Harland Sharpe, ect.....

Since you've worked on these FE's for a long time, can you give us a list from best to worse ?

I know we'll all appreciate your advise & knowledge.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think these are a good cost effective alternative for a nice street motor.

If you're going to be turning some revs with very high spring pressures, I would use the Ersons or T&D's.

IMO, the T&D's are on the top of the list. Ersons are in 2nd spot.

The Comp/Dove rockers are a nice set as long you have a nice set of shafts and end stands to go with them.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What do you think about Comps oiled lifters ?
Are they changing the way for solid cams or just a tinker toy that will end up being a serious problem ?

Here is my link about these Comps. Please join in. I pasted their information & photo's on page 2.

Comp Cams new oiled lifter, solid roller cam on the street ?
Old 04-06-2010, 12:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

These oiled lifters have been out for years. I ran them in my own 428 back in 2006. I would not use a non-pressure fed lifter on a street engine with a solid roller camshaft.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What would be your choice, for a 482 or 496 cu. side oiler for a radical street/highway (as we travel some) valvetrain ? Just curious Brent.

Solid roller or hydro.?

In my sold 428, I had a solid flat tappet, 252/260 600 lift. 400 RWHP, and I need more,.... much more. l

New engine 600-650 HP & TQ.
Pump gas.
Single plane
900-1050 cfm carb.

This will be my almost,...... dream engine. Wish I could afford the Dynatek or TWM, EFI. That would make it my dream.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
I think these are a good cost effective alternative for a nice street motor.

If you're going to be turning some revs with very high spring pressures, I would use the Ersons or T&D's.

IMO, the T&D's are on the top of the list. Ersons are in 2nd spot.

The Comp/Dove rockers are a nice set as long you have a nice set of shafts and end stands to go with them.
Any experience with Harland Sharps?
Old 04-06-2010, 12:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
What would be your choice, for a 482 or 496 cu. side oiler for a radical street/highway (as we travel some) valvetrain ? Just curious Brent.

Solid roller or hydro.?

In my sold 428, I had a solid flat tappet, 252/260 600 lift. 400 RWHP, and I need more,.... much more. l

New engine 600-650 HP & TQ.
Pump gas.
Single plane
900-1050 cfm carb.

This will be my almost,...... dream engine. Wish I could afford the Dynatek or TWM, EFI. That would make it my dream.

Depends on how much maintenance you want to put up with. As the revs go up, spring pressures go up, cam lobes get wilder. That means that springs wear out quicker and if you're running a solid roller, you'll have to check lash once or twice a year plus do a lifter inspection every so many miles. That mileage interval has went up to about 10000 miles with the pressure fed lifters, but it's all relative and subjective of course.

If you want a maintenance free engine, go with a hydraulic roller. With 496ci, you can get your 600hp and not have to stress the engine or spin it up.

If you get funny feelings in your pants when you think about spinning 6500-7000 then of course only a solid roller will suffice. If 5500-6000 does the trick, then I would lean towards the juice stick. If I were doing this engine for a customer, I would make them outline specifically what their needs, wants, and leaning-towards' were. It's all subjective until you have a goal in mind.

Chas, not with FE's....only with small blocks. Good products though.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
Chas, not with FE's....only with small blocks. Good products though.
Thanks. Mine have been perfect since about '95.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's a pretty good testimony if you ask me.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: