LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2011, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     
Default New Dart Block 427ci SBF Short Blocks

All the hard work is already done for you. Block machined, rotating assembly internally balanced, bearing clearances checked, cam degreed, short block completely assembled.

Includes:

*Dart SHP Block, 4.125" Bore
*Scat 4340 4.000" Crankshaft
*Scat Forged I-Beam Rods
*Wiseco Forged Pistons w/ Moly Rings, 10.25:1 w/ 60cc Heads
*Clevite H Series Main/Rod Bearings
*Ford Racing Double Roller Timing Chain
*Comp Cams or Bullet Hydraulic Roller or Solid Roller Camshaft
*Felpro Rear Main Seal
*Painted, Freeze Plugs Installed

$4630

Last edited by blykins; 03-07-2011 at 05:35 PM..
Old 03-07-2011, 05:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

Brent,
....You don't need that web page!!!
Especially when you put such sweet things like this on here.
I have some Wedge "R" heads ...will Pistons to suit cost any extra $$$.

Oz

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-07-2011, 05:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not much more. I would use Probe SRS pistons that have the TW valve reliefs cut into them. It would cost about $100 extra for those.

For the guys that aren't worried about the magic number, longer strokes are available...
Old 03-07-2011, 05:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I did some math:
short block 4630
AFR heads 1700
Polished intake 375
Polished water pump 200
timing cover 110
carburator 400
fuel pump -50
alternator 120
pulley /bracket 300?
starter 200?
flywheel 200?
Oilpan 350
oil pump 75
distributor and wires 350
gaskets and sealant 200
arp bolts 225

I am at $9500 for a fully polished engine with 9 quart pan, billet distributor etc. You are doing all the brain work, the rest is just plug and play especially since everything else is new. Only brain work would be valve adjustment and a monkey could be taught to do that, smoking deal!!! Absolute worst case scenerio would be $10K

Last edited by madmaxx; 03-07-2011 at 05:33 PM..
Old 03-07-2011, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle
Not Ranked     

You could just buy the Ford 427 Crate Engine which is 535HP 545 tork complete less distributor and Manifold (plus a warranty) for $ 9,250. All Aluminum for $ 13K

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=11831

Last edited by gsharapa; 03-07-2011 at 05:57 PM..
Old 03-07-2011, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Brent- I can't tell by the photo-are the center mains splayed or vertical and are they nodular or billet?
Old 03-08-2011, 01:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Chas, steel splayed on the middle caps.

gsharapa,

You'd have to buy a lot more than an intake and a distributor to get that puppy running. I have posted complete turn-key engine deals on here with a lot more bang for the buck. (My complete engines are also fully dyno tested and you get the dyno video/dyno sheet with the engine.)

I also am known across quite a few high traffic websites on the internet. I would have to make right on a customer service issue (not that I wouldn't anyway), or my business would go down the pooper in a heartbeat.

So, have your engine built on an assembly line by guys that have high quotas to meet...or have your engine built by a picky mechanical engineer who supplies a CD with build pictures and a spec/clearance sheet?

And who wants just 535hp?

Last edited by blykins; 03-08-2011 at 01:57 AM..
Old 03-08-2011, 02:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post

So, have your engine built on an assembly line by guys that have high quotas to meet...or have your engine built by a picky mechanical engineer who supplies a CD with build pictures and a spec/clearance sheet?

And who wants just 535hp?
My thoughts to a tee!!!!!...

And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years- Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by OZCOBRA; 03-08-2011 at 02:13 AM..
Old 03-08-2011, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

well said, i used to think that way also, I will never ever buy from a mass producer again, when you have a problem you will find the value in customer service. Ford racing is not using a Dart Block.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZCOBRA View Post
My thoughts to a tee!!!!!...
Old 03-08-2011, 08:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I cannot emphasis enough to newbies on this forumn, dont make the same mistakes I made and rely on companies that are legends in THEIR own mind. If you made it this far take advantage of people like Brent. His A$$$$ is on the line with every build, if problems arise it is out of his pocket not a mindless customer service rep who know or cares nothing. Rember GM went bankrupt, Ford was close. Take a look at the rocker are ratio, cam specs on the ford, they are on the edge of hydraulic roller design and spring pressures in my ignorant opinion.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I wonder what their warranty covers.....especially with an incomplete engine.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
well said, i used to think that way also, I will never ever buy from a mass producer again, when you have a problem you will find the value in customer service. Ford racing is not using a Dart Block.
While I think the Dart blocks are top-of-the-line pieces, the Ford crate engine is built on the new Ford BOSS 351 block, just as good if not better than the Dart block......I've seen both side by side in a machine shop and own a BOSS 302 block.....
Look up the specs on both and you'll see what I mean, the main difference is the name on the block......specs for these 2 blocks are almost identical.....
to me,anyway,one is as good as the other,worst case scenario...

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=10467

http://www.jegs.com/p/Dart/Dart-SB-F...55751/10002/-1

David

Last edited by DAVID GAGNARD; 03-08-2011 at 11:12 AM..
Old 03-08-2011, 11:06 AM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

Removed by me, sorry missed it was in the Advertisers Forum and not SBF chat.

Last edited by Cashburn; 03-08-2011 at 02:17 PM..
Old 03-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
Brent- I can't tell by the photo-are the center mains splayed or vertical and are they nodular or billet?
The Ford BOSS blocks have the 3 center main caps splayed and all caps are billet/machined caps....also, all screw-in freeze plugs as well as screw in galley plugs with O-rings......

David
Old 03-08-2011, 11:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Cobra, 427 side oiler
Not Ranked     

This is the first forum I have ever seen where a loyal supplier advertises his offering in the advertisers section (not a chat section) and then others cross-advertise competing products or challenge the value of what is being offered in the same thread. Brent is doing a lot more than the big brand guys to help perpetuate the Cobra replica sport (including advertising here), he provides great customer service and has been completely unselfish and very knowledgable when I have called on him for assistance.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Add AFR heads (say the larger 205's), a good distributor and a really good carburetor (i.e. Quicktime; something considerably north of MadMaxx's $400 variety) and what kind of torque and HP at the flywheel are we talking about with a choppy street grind hydraulic roller (Comp Cams steel billet dual-pattern hydraulic roller in the .540" lift, 240/246* @.050 with 110* lobe center)?
Old 03-08-2011, 11:26 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmariachi View Post
This is the first forum I have ever seen where a loyal supplier advertises his offering in the advertisers section (not a chat section) and then others cross-advertise competing products or challenge the value of what is being offered in the same thread. Brent is doing a lot more than the big brand guys to help perpetuate the Cobra replica sport (including advertising here), he provides great customer service and has been completely unselfish and very knowledgable when I have called on him for assistance.
Not knocking Brent's products or his services,just pointing out the differences that were asked about bewteen the 2 blocks used in the comparison.........
Actually the Ford Racing BOSS block is about 600 bucks less than the Dart block according to JEGS!!!!!!!!!!!

David
Old 03-08-2011, 11:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACademic View Post
Add AFR heads (say the larger 205's), a good distributor and a really good carburetor (i.e. Quicktime; something considerably north of MadMaxx's $400 variety) and what kind of torque and HP at the flywheel are we talking about with a choppy street grind hydraulic roller (Comp Cams steel billet dual-pattern hydraulic roller in the .540" lift, 240/246* @.050 with 110* lobe center)?
On the dyno with out of the box AFR 205's and a hydraulic roller (say 5500-6000 rpm peak), 540-550hp should be no problem....and that's with streetable A/F ratios, correctly sized headers, the carb in the correct tune for the vehicle, etc.

But of course it's all about head prep...

I did a 445ci Dart based engine with lightly ported Trick Flow TW-R heads (about 345cfm intake flow) and a hydraulic roller that popped off 606 hp right off the bat on the first hard pull without any tuning.

Last edited by blykins; 03-08-2011 at 11:58 AM..
Old 03-08-2011, 12:11 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

I agree with elmariachi. If Brent were engaging in some sort of below board business practices and someone needed to post a warning to protect board members from these practices then I would understand. However this is not the case, I think everyone here can see that what he's offering has real value. If someone wants to start a Dart vs. FRPP thread in an open forum area then I think that would be a much more appropriate venue than in Blykin's advertisement. Really, it's just rude.

Steve