Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-22-2008, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427" 351W
Not Ranked     
Default Your input

I am at a loss. I know the economy isn't up to snuff, and I've offered what I consider to be a great deal with little or no response. Help me out here, what can I do or offer short of giving an injection setup away or installing it and providing gas that will make this a reasonable group purchase. This combined 5 buyer offer is on Club Cobra, GT40.com, FF Forum, and Street Car forum. I value your input! Thanks, Al
www.thormotorsports1.com
Old 07-22-2008, 11:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

In todays economic climate the comparison between $600 for a carb and $4-5000 for your setup does'nt take to much thought.....not that what you are offering is'nt what I or others would'nt prefer!
Old 07-22-2008, 02:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 2 dyno tests

thorconstr Al get someone to do a dyno test between a carb setup and the TWM's. Black and white are the best things to show. There is a problem with the cost of a system. You can buy a great carb for $800.00 dollars. The FI system with all the bells and whistles is around $5-6 grand. Do I like my setup, yes. It has better drivability over a carb.YES The topend RPM's the carb still sneaks by with a little more HP. Midrange 8 throttlebodies will out power a single carb. Get 2 dyno sheets and show the torque and HP differents. Unless you have mega dollars to 90% of the guys here, the cobra is a toy that is funded by extra money or loose change. Home, family, normal bills all come first, cobra gets the left overs. Rick L
Old 07-22-2008, 02:53 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Unfortunately, the economy has taken a toll on everything consumer-related. Unless there's a really great can't miss deal out there, where the buyer feels that they can't get hurt too badly by jumping into it, especially if the market tanks further, then people will remain on the sidelines.

For the moment, a 10% discount isn't enough.

Rick is right about taking care of the family first. A really nice carb is about $800 and the TWM setup is $7,000 (with no options), plus the install and tuning. I would love to buy a setup, but with the nostalgia air horns, shipping, installation, tuning, etc., the "all-in" price is $10,000 +/-.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I believe that most guys know about the added performance with the injection, although I will try to find some comparisons. I am not naive to the fact that without installing the TWM yourself that the cost approaches 10k. This was a big consideration when I purchased mine.
On another thought entirely, until Congress allows us to develop the offshore (off Florida where the Chinese are drilling) and in country oil reserves, we are going to get into further trouble with our economy. I really don't understand the thinking (or lack of) behind this. It's not ecology, it's big money!
Old 07-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Backdraft Racing Dealer
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing
Not Ranked     

You are chasing the market that is going to be weak for a long time... the guy doing it himself. There are not a lot of people in the bracket that have the money now and do their own work. I think you really need to consider looking at other markets... head upstream, target the engine builders and shops that do the installs for those that are further removed from the current economic pain.

Our $38 - 50k customers are gone. We are selling mostly at $55k+ now.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Jay, I'll give that a shot!
Old 07-22-2008, 08:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cutting Edge Replicas, 427 World block SBF, TWM Injection
Not Ranked     

I have to agree with everything that has been posted. I have a polished TWM setup and it cost about 4 hours of dyno time to tune the car on the new motor. It recently started back firing and I don't want to bring it back for another dyno tune yet ... another 2-3 hour$$$ Easy to find a carb tuner, harder to find a TWM tuner.

If I were looking at converting from a carb to FI, don't know if I would want to spend $7-$10,000 (all in) on top of a $35-$50,000 cobra project right now. Have to add a new fuel system, O2 bung, new air filters, etc. There are other mass flow units out there and self tuning FI kits for a lot less and easier to install. Really need to show dyno sheets of different units, throttle response, mileage, 1/4 mile times, etc. and why I would NEED it.

I would bet that most of the Club Cobra members already have their cars built. You really need to get to the kit builder before the motor and fuel system is spec'd out, (don't want to spend twice) thus going to the engine builders as previously mentioned.

Think of the day after Thanksgiving. Retail stores need to offer 50% discounts to get your attention! Sorry, 10% doesn't seem to enough for this group today.
Shell Valley Daytona #27
Old 07-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

There's an article in the new Kit Car about the Dynatek FI system. What would be nice is to see a detailed comparison of the two systems.

Since Dean Lampe's RCR 40 is featured in almost every Kit Car magazine, maybe he would be willing to make the switch from Webers to FI and get a comparo done for his car.

Just kidding Dean. I know you love the Webers.