April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Building my Butler Cobra
I was six years old when a live Cobra slithered into our living room. Fear and pandemonium struck our family of four. From that day the word Cobra got my undivided attention. I think I was 13 or 14 years old when I was confronted again by the Cobra, it was a picture in a car magazine. If only Eve was as lucky as I with my asp encounters.
Living in India, my only reference of what was happening in the rest of the world was radio, the movie screen, news magazines, comic books & car magazines. No broadcast television existed. I was almost 17 when I saw a my first television show in Australia. Life continued and Cobras were often on my mind. Thirty years after the first Cobra encounter I ended up living in the USA, the nation of my love. One day the Cobra struck again. So I painted this red Cobra (Lal Naja in Hindi) on a canvas, but that was not enough. And as all things are possible in the USA, I started building my dream. These photos show the slow progression of my project. What can I say, work gets in the way of life. I hope you enjoy seeing my build. Sorry the photos are all out of order. It is not possible to sort the photos after they are uploaded to this site. I would have to start over and upload them in order and don't have time right now, perhaps after the build is complete. Arthur Mitchell
Ready to batten down the hatch.  The fuel pickup sump is installed and the cell foam has been cut & knotched for hose fittings, pickup hose, sender &...
Tank finished! But for vent hook up and sender electrical.
Custom support brackets for hoses including hidden fuel shutoff valve.
Finished shroud with flaps & fan installed.  1 flap in the bottom right yet to be installed.
Installed the CNC Master cylinders.  3/4" for the clutch. 3/4" for the Wilwood front calipers and 7/8" for the rear Jaguar calipers.  I hopr this...
close up of the stainless steel back-to-front nylock jam-nuts against the balls.  I would love to have a remote adjuster, but it will have to wait...
Made this crimping tool from a $20 bolt cutter.  Ground a 3/16" hole in the jaws with a dremmel type die grinder.  After making everything smooth I...
The crimping worked really well.  Custom made stainless steel clevis to fit the Jaguar rear calipers.
Made a mold of the rear glass window. Just in case I have to have one made in the future.  Bought the last one from Ron Butler. And yes I cracked the...
Fuel tank filled with Open-Cell foam.  This should stop fuel slosh.
Empty tank
Fuel pickup sump with three ball baffel valves. ONe on each side and one in the front of the sump.
Plywood mock-up of the tank so I could fit all the foam pieces.
Jigs to cut the foam to shape.  I sharpened the top edge of the hand saw blade and it worked really well for cutting the foam.
The custom fan shroud that I made with rubber flaps.  Shown from behind with dimples made with my home made dimpling tool.  Fortunately I have a...
Fan before the rubber flaps were installed.
Fan shroud in progress.  Holes cut and dimpled.
Custom sanding block helps sand the fan hols smooth.
Layout of fan hole and holes for flaps.
Home made dimpling tool.  Works well!
Dimpling tool mated with female.
Dimpling tool
Measure twice.
Long sanding block is made from 2" x 3" aluminum angle & P.S. Sandpaper.
Testing out the sanding block on the door.