14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2010, 11:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Send a message via AIM to Maricopa
Not Ranked     

OK sorry, you mean the UCAs that had the bad (or lack of a) channel in the bearing area so they didn't grease properly. How many were there exactly? That's pretty good math there re: the Toyota comparison.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 390 toploader IRS
Not Ranked     

Ok, did the search. Got one hit were the builder over tightened the bolts and stripped the threads. As I said, show me some examples..
02 Super Duty 7.3L
Old 02-01-2010, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR: 302 w/aluminum heads, Edlebrock injection. Street car trim, no scoop, side pipes or rollbar.
Not Ranked     

No there were some others, but not many. The vendor screwed up and when you greased them only part of the bearing got penetrated. Over time they froze up and snapped at the mount from the fatigue. Most people noticed the problem when they greased them the first time.

As far as I know it isn't a current issue.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

http://www.ffcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233500

http://www.ffcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233740

Read the entire thread, there was a problem with the grooves missing from the control arms but others that had the grooves also had the issue.

Please check your suspension on a regular basis.

Kool-Aid is not a proper lubricant.

Last edited by Hexnut72; 02-01-2010 at 12:08 PM..
Old 02-01-2010, 12:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Frankly you can stuff the trollish Kool-Aid comment. I've *****ed my head off to FFR about the shock issue and don't have a problem IDing the good and bad about the car or company. There are 7,500 of the things out there and from what's I've seen with our AZ group they get driven probably twice as much as other brands. Shi'ite is going to happen and they have been sometimes good and sometimes not so good at handling them.

6K miles a year for the past 3 without problems, and I check things pretty regular, thanks.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Polished KMP #488 / 427SC, 427 SO/482 by KC
Not Ranked     
Question

Anyone know if the fat trans tunnel was an upgrade? This would allow wider seats like the originals to be used. I don't know what it is, but when I sit in my old FFR in comparison to my Kirkham I have less room in the cockpit? Knee to dash board and knees to steering wheel. My FFR had dropped foot boxes and my Kirkham does not. You would think the spacing would be just the opposite? You also sit higher?
Old 02-01-2010, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Maricopa,

The Kool-Aid comment was not aimed at you.

FFR makes some great stuff, but as you mentioned, it isn't perfect. I like to point out the stuff that I don't like so the company can continue to improve. Some people don't like (or simply refuse to believe) that there are issues. I like to think that my complaining about the shape of the body has helped with the decision to change it with the Mk 4.

Sorry if that came through the keyboard as being ugly or trollish.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well whoever it was aimed at I think it was misplaced. I didn't see any being consumed in any of the current posts. Sorry if I blew up a little.

Franklin, that would an excellent area for them to work on! I would love to sit a little farther in on the car.
Old 02-01-2010, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR 390 toploader IRS
Not Ranked     

All i asked for was examples. I stop in there just about every day still and this is the first I heard of it. Thanks for the links.
02 Super Duty 7.3L
Old 02-01-2010, 01:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building 289 Lemans / FFR mkIV chassis w/ Bruce Chervenak
Not Ranked     

Hexnut, your comment was mean spirited and obviously meant to take a swipe at FFR and / or tweak the enthusiasm shared here. It added nothing constructive to this conversation but did elicit the desired response. So far, this car speaks for itself and it will be interesting to see it in person.

It will be fun to watch this all play out.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexnut72 View Post
I like to point out the stuff that I don't like so the company can continue to improve. Some people don't like (or simply refuse to believe) that there are issues. I like to think that my complaining about the shape of the body has helped with the decision to change it with the Mk 4.

Sorry if that came through the keyboard as being ugly or trollish.
Kind of a stretch to think improvements were made based on your complaints. Not saying that you can't think that though.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 02-01-2010, 02:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

To all...drop it.

Please keep the focus of the discussion on the Mk4

Thanks
ron
ClubCobra Moderator
Old 02-01-2010, 02:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

What if... in addition to announcing more details about this car on the 13th they announce a 289? 2 years ago when FFR shared this vintage stuff they also mentioned a 289. I don't know anything but that would make a big splash if they did.

http://www.factoryfive.com/whatsnew/...gacy/text.html
Old 02-01-2010, 03:00 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks View Post
To all...drop it.

Please keep the focus of the discussion on the Mk4

Thanks
ron
ClubCobra Moderator
It's absolutely amazing that you put up with this shi* without being paid handsomely for doing so.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
It's absolutely amazing that you put up with this shi* without being paid handsomely for doing so.
Make that ten thousand two hundred and ten....

So what do you think of all of this, Patrick? The car, that is...
Old 02-01-2010, 04:12 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmimac351 View Post
So what do you think of all of this, Patrick? The car, that is...
I think I'm in the minority. I've always liked the way the FFR looked with its "perky butt." No, it doesn't look like the original Cobra, but it has a grace and elegance all its own. There's already enough manufacturers out there that are trying to clone the original's look -- I liked having someone out there that marched to their own drummer.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I think I'm in the minority. I've always liked the way the FFR looked with its "perky butt." No, it doesn't look like the original Cobra, but it has a grace and elegance all its own. There's already enough manufacturers out there that are trying to clone the original's look -- I liked having someone out there that marched to their own drummer.
Hello Geppetto? Pinocchio is on the line.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I understand where you are coming from but I also think the new thing is good in its own way too. Nice FFRs are still nice regardless of the body. If I had to choose I would choose the more authentic / vintage look because I came to like that twist on the cobra. With my car I had 17" CCW wheels then eventually I had knock off 15" Vintage wheels with Billboard tires. I also nearly put Webers on it. I got my car to where I was pretty happy with how it looked. It looked different than most FFR cars. But I never really liked the way it drove and I finally lost patience with figuring it out. When FFR announced this possibility I knew it was time to move it along and I could build another. What most excites me about this new car is the mention of a revised front suspension geometry. There is an "SAI mod" for current FFRs that gets the kingpin angle closer to being right. Apparently this new car has a revised spindle that addresses that - I hope. If it does not, I will not be building an FFR.

I have friends who have gone to Backdraft cars after owning FFRs and they all much prefer the handling of the Backdraft and enjoy the cars more because of it. A car that looks right is one thing, but if you don't enjoy getting in and driving it then that's quite another. I'm hopeful this car is both. If it is they will sell a boatload of them and their owners will hold onto them longer, I think. This new car is like a wish list of things people didn't like and areas that needed to be improved.

Last edited by jmimac351; 02-01-2010 at 04:32 PM..
Old 02-01-2010, 04:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Now that's some funny stuff right there.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:54 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Hello Geppetto? Pinocchio is on the line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TButtrick View Post
Now that's some funny stuff right there.
Do you think that Patrick's ERA is actually a re-badged FFR? And the new, not-yet-released model was actualy the beta test for the upgrades, disguised as a rare dual roll-bar ERA?

Personally, I'm glad to hear that the FFR guys have finally provided some very long overdue enhancements.

-Dean