28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2009, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#0760
Not Ranked     
Default What little custom touches have you done to your cars?

OK…It’s the dead of Winter…and cabin fever is setting in already around here. So I thought I would start a thread related to subject:
“What little custom touches have you done to your car over the years…or are in the process of doing right now?”
Some of these modifications may be unique to the cars manufacturer. If so, maybe start your thread with the cars manufacturer’s name if it is. If it’s something that could pertain to all cars, that won’t be necessary. A photo would be a nice addition too if one is available…

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.
SPFWiringDiagrams@Comcast.net
Old 12-18-2009, 09:07 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Hey Blas. I can think of a few:

1. Billet remote clutch reservoir with custom billet bracket (got tired of the factory Wilwood unit leaking) - old pic attached
http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...eservoir_3.JPG
2. Replaced the stock driveshaft safety loop with a beefier version using a Summit kit as a base (see gallery)
3. Widened rear rims from 9.5" to 10.5" (see gallery)

I've done a bunch of other stuff (Steeda differential cover brace, Pro 5.0 billet shifter, 3" Stainless Specialties mufflers, Blas Circuit Breaker and other tweaks), but I wouldn't classify those as necessarily "custom."

-Dean

Last edited by RedBarchetta; 12-18-2009 at 09:14 PM..
Old 12-18-2009, 09:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Drilled a hole in the floor board behind the seats so water could drain out.

Maybe I should get a soft top? Not real fond of "getting caught in the rain."
Old 12-18-2009, 10:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

Fat 2" ball shift knob (I know, whoopee).

Working on a removable 12V power pod that will connect behind the dash and clamp across the lower dash support bars for when I need GPS, cel phone, whatever power.

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =
Old 12-19-2009, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

HMM ! I built a few, and bought a few thngs to make my Hurricane more funtional.
Front sway bar, Wilwood remote brake bias adjustor, interior door panels w/ pockets, front rock guard in front of the radiator, additional underhood fans to exhaust heat and several modifications during the actual build.
It just depends what comes with your ride, there are many great ideas out there and most of the are fun to add to your car.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

I took my car apart a few years ago and rebuilt it with many features customized to my particular tastes. I won't list them all, but here is my favorite. I removed those awful, shin smashing fake quick jack things poking out the front and rear of my car. I can't tell you how many times I ran into those things before I removed them. I don't miss them at all.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 12-19-2009, 05:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile parts and pieces

I made my roll bar, stainless tail light mounting bracket, shifter boot and stainless ring, stainless glove box, titanium escutcheon rings for the seat belts (long story), aluminum remote brake fluid tank, air intake tube for motor, air intake for the cockpit and more
Each piece has a story

Dwight
Old 12-19-2009, 06:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Superformance Related:
The brake lines run along the top of the chassis on the drivers side just below the exhaust header. I also have my fuel line relocated in this same area.
The tubing in this area can easily recieve a heat-soak from the exhaust header, heating both the tubing and its contents and occasionally causing vapor lock in the fuel line after a long ride on a hot day and spongy brakes if the brake fluid boils. This would most likely occure after parking the car for a short periods when hot. (like stopping for gas, etc)
It's easy to install a heatshield in this area before the engine is installed but a tough area to access after engine installation. Here is my solution; all installed from below the car without even taking off the tire. Tapping the 4 holes for the mounting screws was the hardest part because two of them go thru a double section of steel. Pop rivits would make for an easier installation. I think the total cost for the modification was $10 without the addition of the heat tape. Made a big difference on hot days after a long ride after stopping and restarting the car. I think the photos tell the story best.
Attached Images

Large, easy to read and trace schematics with part numbers, wire colors, wire gauge, fuses, and electrical upgrade information. Trouble-shooting and replacement part numbers for those roadside repair adventures.

Last edited by Blas; 12-19-2009 at 07:35 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 12-19-2009, 06:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

After a couple years of storage I put a driver in the seat

I built a a new Y-manifold with fuel log & have a filter box in the works for the Carbs...
Old 12-19-2009, 06:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Cut two doors in drivers footwell to change spark plug and to adjust clutch.Both are covered with carpet backed with Velcro.Wired up cigar lighter under right side dash to plug in Battery Tender.Custom made wooden bows to support soft top when flying down highway.Keeps top from flopping up and down in wind.Sending 850 dbl pump out for some magic to lean out idle.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of SPF#2632
Not Ranked     

Dean - two questions...1) Where did you get the Clutch fluid reservoir? 2) How do you keep your firewall aluminum so shiny?
Old 12-19-2009, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dean,
Yes indeed, you have made some nice mods...Photos or links to the photos really enhance everyones descriptions...that resovoir LOOKS great....

Old 12-19-2009, 07:48 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekrupa2 View Post
Dean - two questions...1) Where did you get the Clutch fluid reservoir? 2) How do you keep your firewall aluminum so shiny?
The reservoir was sourced from an online store that sold typical hot rod/deuce coupe stuff. Can't remember the name. The bracket was a custom piece whittled by fellow SPFer Rob Frink, based on my drawings. You have to be careful how you negotiate the throttle rod assembly, hence the need for a custom bracket.

I bought the car with the firewall already polished. Get one of those Meguires red foam wheel polishing cones ($20) at Autozone and a $10 glass jar of Mothers Billet Polish. That's all you really need....that and a whole lot of time.

-Dean

Last edited by RedBarchetta; 12-19-2009 at 08:20 AM..
Old 12-19-2009, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I believe is was Backdraft that has a nice screened assembly at the bottom/rear of the front wheel wells to allow some additional airflow to the exhaust header collector area. I'm not sure if its unique to BDR's or a detail lifted from another mfr. I'm working from memory here cause its SNOWING outside....anyone add this detail to their car and sourced the screened covers? Maybe have a photo or two?

Last edited by Blas; 12-19-2009 at 07:54 AM..
Old 12-19-2009, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

Well there were things that i had done by Midstates when i ordered my Cobra like NO hood scoop,NO side pipes,NO roll bar, NO side vents and then i went with the 2 guage dash and under car exhaust other than that it's pretty much a stock Midstates Kit.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BACKDRAFT
Send a message via AIM to SKINNEDR Send a message via Skype™ to SKINNEDR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyBob View Post
Well there were things that i had done by Midstates when i ordered my Cobra like NO hood scoop,NO side pipes,NO roll bar, NO side vents and then i went with the 2 guage dash and under car exhaust other than that it's pretty much a stock Midstates Kit.
Any pictures?
Old 12-19-2009, 12:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

theres a side picture on my profile..........
my kid knows more about computers than i do
and havent had a chance for him to add pics.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by *13* View Post
After a couple years of storage I put a driver in the seat
Best possible feature.

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =
Old 12-19-2009, 04:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mark III, Carbed Explorer 302
Not Ranked     

I cut my DS door...

Gave me all the elbow room I need!

Finished!
Proud owner of FFR1004630RD '01 Explorer 302, FRPP B-Cam, Holley S/A 670, HD T-5, Wilwood pedals, 3 link, Koni shocks, 17" Bullett wheels, Baer brakes, Classic gauges, I-Squared wiring, Jaguar Racing Green w/Sliver Stripes

Tagged and road ready in NYSas of 6-5-09 Life is GREAT!

My build log http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/80663-my-cobra-build.html

If you live "Upstate" near Albany, NY send me a PM. Our Cobra gang is growing and looking for new members!

Last edited by ICBomber90; 01-27-2011 at 01:15 PM..
Old 12-20-2009, 01:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

That's It?
I know there is a lot more creativity out there on Club Cobra.
This is a chance to show off your ingenuity, skills and resourcefulness….
No idea is too small. My uncle Al Einstein once said: “Imagination is more important then knowledge”

Let’s make it more interesting….
The 3 best suggestions from all submissions, get free information on how to make their original style Smith’s gauges bright enough to actually be useful….Competition ends 31 January 2010.
So if you got something unique to share, put it up here on CC and make your thread stand out with photos, links to parts, what-ever….(no bribes please)

Decision of the judges will be final. Duplicate entries will be judged by their presentation for clarity and completeness, Void where prohibited by law. Residents of Luxembourg, Vatican City, Tuvalu need not apply. Ties will be decided with pistols at the London Cobra Show in June…

Good Luck Ladies and Gentlemen.
Let the games begin........

Last edited by Blas; 12-20-2009 at 02:10 PM..