9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2010, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     
Default Why have you never tracked your car?

I know before I decided to put my Cobra on the track all I wanted to do was MAYBE get some quarter mile time runs for it. Then I met John Russel who was waiting with me along side his cobra in the staging lanes at TIR. John asked if I had done the road course the day before and then started to explain to me how much fun and safe it was. Not yet convienced I started following some of the threads that addressed those that put their cars on road courses at VIR, PIR, Road Atlanta etc. I seem to remember reading some of Racer Al, Coyled, Racer X among others posts. I couldn't wait until I could put my cobra on a raod course.

You know it has been the most fun I have had that I didn't have to lie about later. Don't get me wrong my first time on the track I was nervous and had to pee about 5 times before they called my group to the hot grid. Since then I have became a much better driver and learned a lot about my self, my reactions, my ability to brake (brakes and tires are one of the most important aspects of putting your car on the track), as well as what my Cobra is capable of doing or not doing. All this in a safe controlled environment. I only wish I had got on the track 5 years sooner. Perhaps the very best part of "racing" or getting in some track time are the friends I have made from all over the country and from a half a dozen foreign countries. The people that show up at the race track are some of the best friends you may ever make. These folks care as much about you making a session as you do and they have always been there to help if I ever needed help.

In short, if you haven't had the opportunity to put your Cobra/Coupe/GT 40 etc on the track, I would encourage you to find a track near you and take a lesson from one of the veteran drivers (most are free to participants). That is what the Cobra's were all about in the 60's. Of course most of our cars are so much safer and better than those that were raced back in the day.

Street racing is not safe or legal but a few sessions on a road course could save your life should an emergency arise. Of course this is just my opinion and I am sure others may have as many reasons why not to track their cars as I do for it.

Clois Harlan

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"

Last edited by Clois Harlan; 03-19-2010 at 08:12 AM..
Old 03-19-2010, 08:52 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

I used to run the track years ago with other cars. That was then and this is now. That has been out of my system for a while. But thats just me.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Since then I have became a much better driver and learned a lot about my self, my reactions, my ability to brake (brakes and tires are one of the most important aspects of putting your car on the track), as well as what my Cobra is capable of doing or not doing.
Definetly!!!!!!!!!!!!!

last september I was involved in an auto accident....1 ton flatbed truck came around a sharp/blind curve way to fast for the road conditions in MY lane. He made no attempt to get back in his lane of travel and I had only a few seconds to decide on my course of action to avoid a head-on collision which would have been fatal to me as I was driving my company car (Toyota)....
Little to no shoulder to my right and a very large deep ditch, more like a canal, not much of an option, so I hit the gas and turned left to go around the truck in what should have been his lane of travel, almost made it, he caught the passenger side of my car and basically went down the passenger side spinning me out in the process, I walked away with a few cuts from flying glass and a bruise or two.......

I truly believe had it not been for my open track/racing expirience as well as attended 2 different driving schools, I would not have re-acted the way I did and most likely would have ended up dead in a head on collision..............

David
Old 03-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

1. Raising kids...no time to allocate/dedicate to tracking at this time.
2. After driving the cobra spiritedly on the streets for six years, and driving daily an '02 Z06 to work and back for the past 2+, I've come to realize that tracking a Cobra would not be as enjoyable to me vs. tracking my Z06. I would have more fun and control in the modern day warrior and would achieve more by doing so.

So one could say that some of the romance of driving one of these '60's era cars on a track has worn off a bit for me. God, I still love driving it hard. But I know I would most likely hurt the car on a track and I just don't want to go down that path at this stage in my life.

That's my honest answer and I'm sticking to it.

-Dean
Old 03-19-2010, 10:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Not Ranked     

Dean,
I respect everyones reason. Maybe a better question might have been "How many of you track your cars?". Everything must be prioritized and as far as I am concerned family comes first.

David,

I am glad you are ok. I have seen you drive at a couple of tracks and you are a good driver. I have often wondered about that scenario and how I would react. My thinking would be to attempt to do what you did. I hope to see you on another track soon.

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 03-19-2010, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would like to track my car more, and I plan to do more track events. BUT - I need serious training, This thing scares the crap out of me. A set of track tires would be a big help too. I've had HiPo cars in the past, but nothing even comes close to this car. Which is why I got a Cobra in the first place. The C5 Vette at 140 was boring. So, training and some equipment upgrades will get me to the track.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: R.U.C.C. with a 427FE, toploader
Not Ranked     

I have tracked my car 6 times and only wish I had the money to do it more.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gary Edwards Racing 460
Not Ranked     

I mainly dont want to beat it up and break something. However, I do plan on taking it to a track at least once to drive with a professional. Its the only safe way to determine the limits of the car and myself.

Plus I believe insurance doesnt cover you if you are "racing". You have to have an instructor in the car with you so it can be deemed a schooling event.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

I hope to track my car this year for the first time. Need to make some safety upgrades first. I also need some serious training as well, since I've never been on a track before.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 03-19-2010, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars, 331 roller/stroker
Not Ranked     

Here's a shot of my Unique Cobra at Thunderhill Raceway in Northern CA last summer.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I like it toooo much! I looks like you and I are running the same Hoosier tires. Great looking car. Believe me I do understand about the cost of a track event, some times it is hard to justify to the family.

Doug,

Tires and Brakes and you will be fine! I love the way these cars handle with slicks but there are some very good if not better dot street tires that are very good as well. I hope you have fun.

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 03-19-2010, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clois Harlan View Post
Doug,

Tires and Brakes and you will be fine! I love the way these cars handle with slicks but there are some very good if not better dot street tires that are very good as well. I hope you have fun.
Clois
I have billboards on the car now and the Baer brakes that came with the roller.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 03-19-2010, 12:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would think you are ready to go. Maybe check the play in your wheel bearings. Dean Lampe blistered a lap last year at Run N Gun with Billboards on his car. He swears that they gripped as well as the Goodyear Blue Streaks.

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 03-19-2010, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would think you are ready to go. Maybe check the play in your wheel bearings and ball joints. Dean Lampe blistered a lap last year at Run N Gun with Billboards on his car. He swears that they gripped as well as the Goodyear Blue Streaks.

Clois

"Let's roll"

Last edited by Clois Harlan; 03-19-2010 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: duplicate
Old 03-19-2010, 01:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I have open tracked my Cobra about a dozen times and would do more if there were any tracks closer. I have also been to three differant courses of instruction that let your drive your own car and these have been the most important part of my becoming comfortable driving the Cobra at speed. When you spin out at 90 mph on the track there are no trees, rocks or other things to hit that probably would get you killed on the street. I know that we all have too much sense to drive stupid on the street, but when someone else does, it is sure nice to have the experience you get at the track.

Dick

Old 03-19-2010, 02:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: R.U.C.C. with a 427FE, toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamaluv View Post
When you spin out at 90 mph on the track there are no trees, rocks or other things to hit that probably would get you killed on the street.

Dick

I resemble that remark! I was the one who made the A-bomb size dust cloud at the last WSCB I think I learned more from that spin then anything else
Old 03-19-2010, 03:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2168, 418, TKO 600
Not Ranked     

I'm taking my SPF to the track (Infineon, NASA event) for the first time tomorrow.
I'm excited an a little nervous as well. I don't want to damage the car.

I would like to take a driving course using my car. Any idea where they offer that in the SF Bay Area?

Dan
Old 03-19-2010, 03:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Hooked On Driving (HOD) is one that comes to mind that I attended in Fernley NV. Go to www.hookedondriving.com for info.

Dick
Old 03-19-2010, 03:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory 5 mk4 445 FE
Not Ranked     

Great story ..
Stoneville,NC

My ex car. Sad to see it go.
http://www.ffcars.com/POM/nov2003pom.JPG
Old 03-19-2010, 05:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

If I had more money and time, I'd be on the track as much as possible.