LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2007, 05:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby alum 468 block
Not Ranked     
Default Anyone know of Eichler

HI all

A little out of the Cobra area but thought I would ask this question.

We are in the process of attending a home auction and in research on the property have found it is referred to as an Eichler style home.

It appears - after searching the sites - that the Eichler style homes are all through California.

After searching the sites I find that I have walked past or even visited these homes whilst in Orange and Palm Springs and surrounds.

Interestingly, they are not widely known over here in Australia and I'm not sure how this home was designed and built.

The property is well constructed and has all the similiar fittings and design features of the homes on the Eichler sites.

The home is on a large area of land and we had planned to put a pool etc. in and had a few design ideas for extensions. We then found the Eichler site and realised that the property was identitical.

The extensions that we had planned and the open glass areas are identical to the Eichler site homes..

Again I know it's not Cobra related - although there will be a car or two in the garage.

I'm interested to hear if anyone knows of the style of home..

KMS 427 #662 Shelby 468 CSX 1026
Old 02-14-2007, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

We have several south of mid-town Tulsa and they were built in the mid 50's. Ours range from 1500 sq feet up to about 4000 sq ft. I remember this from a series of tours I took of Tulsa while in college for a 3 hr humanities credit during intersession. Gotta love intersession. As best I remember, the ones here tend to be fairly modern (eg: chrome, primary colors inside, non traditional shaped windows with large open floor plans).

Clois

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 02-14-2007, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #479
Not Ranked     

Hi Bernie,

I have had the opportunity to work on many Eichler's here in the Bay Area. They are a well built house made in the 50's and 60's. One design flaw that has come up over and over is they had radient heat built into the concrete floors. Alot of the piping used has since rotted and sometimes the floor has to be jackhammered out.

Other than that they provide alot of lighting with their glass at the roofline, and the open beam look, teid to the exterior of the home is a nice feature.

A client told me they had a coffee table book about Eichlers. I found a few on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Eichler-Modern...e=UTF8&s=books

Overall, not bad homes. But they built ALOT of them. If this is good or bad I can't really tell you. From a builder/contractor's perspective they are simple and don't have a ton of problems-minus the floors/heat issues.

Hope that helps!

-Sean
Old 02-14-2007, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 351/402 Fi roller everything
Not Ranked     

Hey Bernie ,I lived in an eichler for 25 years, in palo alto ,ca.my father still lives in that house . he bought it new in 1956 for $14,000. they are wonderful to live in with large plate glass (5' x 7')next to sliding glass doors next to more glass, it seems like the out doors are inside.inside clear mahogony lined all the walls ,also making the outdoors seem in.all and all they are a great design,well constructed for there day. there are drawbacks though. flat roofs with no insolation are hot in the summer and make the heater run in the winter.hydronic heat was too far ahead of its time.slab concreat floors with copper piping on fill land in earthquake country did not make a lot of sence to me.still my fathers heating works to this day with little maintenance. so energy efficent they are not , beautiful they are! Eichler's got me interested in architecture and i have designed and built many homes over the years ( not like an eichler) they would not stand up to new building codes .Where is the house you are interested in ? Peter
Old 02-14-2007, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 351/402 Fi roller everything
Not Ranked     

Hey Bernie ,I lived in an eichler for 25 years, in palo alto ,ca.my father still lives in that house . he bought it new in 1956 for $14,000. they are wonderful to live in with large plate glass (5' x 7')next to sliding glass doors next to more glass, it seems like the out doors are inside.inside clear mahogony lined all the walls ,also making the outdoors seem in.all and all they are a great design,well constructed for there day. there are drawbacks though. flat roofs with no insolation are hot in the summer and make the heater run in the winter.hydronic heat was too far ahead of its time.slab concreat floors with copper piping on fill land in earthquake country did not make a lot of sence to me.still my fathers heating works to this day with little maintenance. so energy efficent they are not , beautiful they are! Eichler's got me interested in architecture and i have designed and built many homes over the years ( not like an eichler) they would not stand up to new building codes .Where is the house you are interested in ? Peter
Old 02-19-2007, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA - 427
Not Ranked     

The Eichler homes are common here (California) and they have serious fire issues in their original configuration.
The local fire departments have special instructions for these homes, as they are deadly when burning.
A wood frame structure with wooden paneling (no sheetrock) they are rumored to burn flat to ashes in less than 20 minutes.
Old 02-19-2007, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Clois

Thanks for the feedback.

I have just managed to get back on site after the 'forum' was out a few days back.

Interesting about the school trip as I have a boook that I took out from the libraray and there is a photo in it of a few school kids there touring one.

I looked closely but did not see one with grey hair and a Cobra shirt on..

I hope to catch up at the Midstates Raceway at Run N Gun again.

Will keep you 'posted' on the house auction this Saturday.

Bernie
Old 02-19-2007, 10:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

c6ae

Thanks for getting back on the Eichler.

Anne has had an architect check the house out prior to this Saturdays auction. He felt that it was well constructed. It does have a lot of wood in it but then there are a number of different fitout accessories.

It has gas heating and is partially built on stumps of concrete as the block has a slight fall. The main kitchen, dining, entry is on concrete with all water and waste pipes running out hrough walls and not under the slab.

We have a sketch plan that indicates adding on a larger family recreation room and a home theatre area and these wil be on concrete slab.

The walls are all sheetrock plaster with only one feature timber wall in a lounge area - typical Eichler.

Bernie
Old 02-19-2007, 10:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

pmfranke

The house we are looking at is in Newtown Geelong in Victoria here in Australia.

The information that I have found is that the Eichler influence was here at a similiar time. There are a few Home Renovation and Home Beautiful magazines that ran features on these homes in the 50's.

The floor plan of this home I'm looking at does not appear to be copied or purchased from Eichler. The features are very similiar with the beam ceilings and the large glass panel windows and doors. There is a lot of exposed brickwork and stone feature walls throughout.

Our architect is proposing to build an atrium on the north side - our afternoon sun side - and this will then have an additional lounge area, bedrooms and theatre room area.

The sketch plan that he has done will include a BBQ area under cover, outdoor living/kitchen area etc. We will basically add on true to Eichler style and sympathetic with what is already there.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Bernie
Old 02-19-2007, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Whiplash,

Thanks for the link to Amazon.

I ordered the two books there along with the Palm Springs home book.

I spent a little time in Palm Springs last year when I was heading back to Phoenix from the "Not Knotts Car Show". That event was in Santa Barbara and we stopped for the night in Palm Springs and I walked the main street there looking at the houses and the shops.

Never knew that I was going to find a similiar home over here.

Thanks again guys for the feedback.

The cheque/check book may be a little lighjter after the auction on Saturday. I'll keep you 'posted'

Last edited by BMK; 02-19-2007 at 10:39 AM..
Old 02-23-2007, 09:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: The one leaving fat black marks
Not Ranked     

Here is the house... A fairly solid base to work from. We will be taking out the kitchen and bathroom etc. All bedrooms will be upgraded. Adding a theatre and family extension. Dad is trying to convince Mum to put in a pool and spa also.

The home was built for the owner who lived in it all of her life. So it is well due for a full renovation. Looks like Dad will have to stay home now and supervise - no trip to the States...

Last edited by TMK 2002; 02-23-2007 at 10:35 PM..
Old 02-26-2007, 02:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MK-I, 302, 780 Pro-Systems custom double pumper, 425HP
Not Ranked     

I've been in many and I hate the design and the looks of his homes. They appear to be cheap and, as stated, the heating system is terrible. It's very energy poor with little or no insulation and the glass is all single pane. We call them "icklers". The property in CA is more valuable than the house. Some people actually buy and tear them down and build a real home.
Old 02-28-2007, 02:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Mike

To some extent we will be doing the same - ripping out rather than down.

The house was built along Eichler designs - Quincy Jones/Emmonds architects.

The 91 year old owner has done little internally since the house was built in the 50's. So we will totally re fit. Just look at all the old furniture and wall treatment in the above photos that have been in the home since the day it was constructed..

The walls and the roof are well insulated, possibly done only recently as an entire new roof was fitted in 2005. Structually the home is very good and very thick single pane glass is right throughout.

The house has gas heating and full reverse cycle aircon/heating.

Our architect is aiming to design/extend adding; a theatre, office, family living room along with additional bathroom to the main bedroom. An outdoor kitchen and lap pool will be added. I'm not worried about the outside garden as most is outdated and very 50's. WE will try and keep the Eichler type pool and garden settings as we remodel and landscape outside

A three car garage with 10' ceilings will be added. It will have one or two car lifts also. (Kristens photo)

The history on the homes is interesting as there were hundreds built over there. It appears that the Eichler influence had reached over here in Australia in the 1950's with builders possibly copying plans and elevations out of American home magazines available at the time.

I found the following Eichler numbers interesting...

Santa Clara 250 constructed
San Jose 550
San Mateo 900 plus constructed
San Fran cisco 600 plus constructed
Sunnyvale 1100 plus constructed

Most built between 1949 and 1974.

This house we purchased was built in 1957 - Mmmm not a bad car year as well..

Cheque/check book out and off we go...

Cheers

Bernie

Last edited by BMK; 02-28-2007 at 02:39 AM..
Old 02-28-2007, 06:29 AM
Miss Texas Cobra Club-08
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #291 *has left the garage*
Not Ranked     

wow! what a shock to see my garage on your house thread!!!

house looks great- looks very well taken care of, and after cool renovations, I think you'll love it and it'll look great!!!
Very modern, all my clutter would have trouble there.

will you please ship me the lovely pieces of furniture in the hallway?? The gold gilt half table and matching mirror would look lovely in my front hall. Oh, and the velvet covered wrought iron stools would be great in the kitchen!
I know, just bring them with you as 'carry on' when you come to run n gun.

great looking project!
Kris
Old 02-28-2007, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     

I LOVE mid-century modern architecture. Have heard of Eichler, but am probably a little more familiar with Richard Neutra. Was never a big fan of overly ornate, fru-fru houses. I like the clean, modern, industrial-like look. Granted, they're not energy efficient- which is probably why they work best in a temperate climate like California (or Oz). Would love to renovate a mid-century modern home & incorporate newer technology in glass/heating/insulation. I've got a typical '60s California/modern house that had a dreadful update in the 70s (dark paneling, geometric dark-stained oak parquet (over the original hardwoods), dark shag carpeting, etc. bleh! Then, when they re-did the windows they went with divided lights- which looks a little out of character with the style of the house. Too bizarre.

I now know from experience that energy efficiency was not a hallmark of that era... don't think there's ANY in the exterior walls... and YES, it DOES get cold in California!
Old 03-01-2007, 03:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Slick61

Our architect is looking at Neutras' work as I write. The Wexler homes in Palm Springs are also a starting point for discusssion.

I'm seeing us head in a mix of Eichler and atrium design with the Wexler and others influencing some of the interior finishes.

The house will be basically torn out and new 'v' joint white painted ceilings and beams completed. Walls possibly mainly white. A new kitchen and new bathrooms.

The outside areas will be linked by covered in glass wall sections and the addition of about 150sq ft. of addition area that will include family rooms and a theatre area. Bedrooms will be increased to include walk in robes etc. At the rear of the property there is laneway/alley access and we will build a matching garage and office area. This will match the house design as best we can.

Much of the stone work can be replicated today, so that should be a nice finish, making it totally in keeping and sympathetic to the design - whatever that ends up..

A lot of discussion is taking place regarding swimming pools versus lap type narrow pools. Will see where we go. Regardlerss I can see the GT40, Daytona etc. moving far off into the horizon as the cash starts pouring into this little project....

Bernie

Last edited by BMK; 03-01-2007 at 03:35 AM..
Old 03-01-2007, 03:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

hey'littlecobra

Hi Kristen,

Hope you didn't mind my pinching the garage lift photo. I could not find another to explain the garage.

..hell I'm spending more time designing the garage than the house. The garage and office will end up about another 900 sq.ft..... Don't tell Anne..

Anne has the architect sorted out I think. We know what we want and she has just drawn up a lot of rooms and we are moving them around the land to see where they best link back to the house. The house will be gutted and the land mostly flattened. It's a big block and the photos do not do the land size justice. So plenty of area to work with.

It does not look much at the moment as little if anything has been done by the elderly owner. A pity as we will tear out her garden which was her real interest - she was telling us on the sale day.

Guess this is a little of beat 'Thread' for a Cobra site..... but I have received some great advice and links. Even an email with house photos from an Eichler owner in San Francisco. Wonders of the clubcobra site..

Good to see you come on the 'Thread". Yes will catch up at the 'Run N Gun' as I will be over again. I'm bringing the race suit, helmet etc. as I have a drive all organised.

I will be out in the Cobra practising at Calder Park Raceway beforehand though...

I may get the mirror and the side table in the hand luggage...

Looks like it will be the Cobra only for a little while as I can see this house costing a bit...

Last edited by BMK; 03-01-2007 at 03:46 AM..
Old 03-02-2007, 09:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well the garage is all designned - just under 900sq. ft and includes office and a gym.

The main house design is in concept stage - changed 8 times -with an additional 1150sq. ft. Our architect is working within the similiar design.

Although we will restart with just the shell. New kitchen, new bathrooms additional bedroom/guest area and theatre added.

We have also added a new family area with an outdoor kitchen area off it. This is not Eichler, but fits well with Eichler and what my architect calls Palm Springs Modern.

Thanks for the PM and links on this Thread. No doubt we wll change plans a dozen more times with the architect.

One thing we now know what an Eichler is. This home has the atrium style from the side and the extra bedrooms and appears to be similiar to some of the Sunnyvale homes. Original plans indicate it is 50 years old. When built the owners added an extra area for an office and a storage room. So it is a good base to work from.

We have more than doubled the house - not counting the garage - and there is only the two of us here now.

I don't know what she is doing...

Thanks again for all the links, PM's and thoughts.

Last edited by BMK; 03-02-2007 at 09:52 PM..
Old 03-06-2007, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: The one leaving fat black marks
Not Ranked     

Kristen,

Slow progress. Prices coming in...

..car lifts are possibly the cheapest quote

Bernie
Old 07-01-2007, 12:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A little bit of an update.

We have totally stripped the interior out and you can now see from the front to the back through framework.

The roof has recently been insulated and we are working closely with architects and builders.

I will have Todd place a few photos on soon.