26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2010, 08:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hmmmm, I'm just not a polished enough guy for a polished car myself. I mgiht be wrong (but I doubt it) for me the maintenance would be to much. A brushed car with MAYBE polished stripes, or not.

Flip sure got a nice deal on his used Kirkham, just under $70K I think it was. 42 gallon, real (really!) side oiler, brushed. Pretty much the specs I'd be looking for. 5 speed would be a plus for me. In Hawaii, no big deal, HERE on the mainland, yeah, that's a pretty nice option to have.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Even for the CSX cars, I just don't get those prices. You can pay retail from a dealer for a glass car with a good set of options and a 427FE and be in the $90s and wait less than 3 months (at least in the current environment). And you get exactly the color and options you want. Why would you pay $100k-$120k and let someone else choose the color, engine and options?

Seems to me it's either because you haven't taken the time to do the research (or its an impulse buy) or you have to have it today (or both).

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 04-07-2010, 08:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 592
Not Ranked     

let someone else choose the color, engine and options

Well the KC cars are fetching $100 or so. It seems to me the best option or a car your going to drive is a Genesis or equivalent aftermarket block and a 5 speed. KC cooses those options for you. The Kirkham's recomend the five speed. They also recomend pretty much all the options I purchased. I was criticized when I asked people which options they thought were most valuable. So I searched around and spoke with Kirkham's and went from there. In the end i ended up with a deal from them with a car that was loaded
chris
Old 04-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Hmmmm, I'm just not a polished enough guy for a polished car myself. I mgiht be wrong (but I doubt it) for me the maintenance would be to much. A brushed car with MAYBE polished stripes, or not.

Flip sure got a nice deal on his used Kirkham, just under $70K I think it was. 42 gallon, real (really!) side oiler, brushed. Pretty much the specs I'd be looking for. 5 speed would be a plus for me. In Hawaii, no big deal, HERE on the mainland, yeah, that's a pretty nice option to have.
Flip's deal was $68K on eBay and I was very close to bidding on it at that level. He's a lucky guy.

Ernie, yes, the polished exterior is not for everyone, no doubt about it, but the maintenance is very similar to a painted car. You polish a painted car much like you polish a polished aluminum car. It seems all too often people add aluminum panels to their fiberglass cars, so they have somewhat similar issues taking care of their aluminum panels, although not the exterior.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 592
Not Ranked     

I think your right on rodknock. Also we don't get chips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
Old 04-07-2010, 09:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng8264723 View Post
let someone else choose the color, engine and options

Well the KC cars are fetching $100 or so. It seems to me the best option or a car your going to drive is a Genesis or equivalent aftermarket block and a 5 speed. KC cooses those options for you. The Kirkham's recomend the five speed. They also recomend pretty much all the options I purchased. I was criticized when I asked people which options they thought were most valuable. So I searched around and spoke with Kirkham's and went from there. In the end i ended up with a deal from them with a car that was loaded
chris
I can see a well optioned car with a KC engine being upwards of $100k. Or getting a deal on a car that is already built and you like. Or ordering exactly what you want. What I can't see is paying $120k for a car that is none of those things - unless you have to have it NOW and money is less of an issue.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 04-07-2010, 09:28 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

For the record, and I've mentioned this before, one of the resons I chose a Kirkham was to avoid the "What color am I going to paint it?" question.

Timing is everything. If one of the sellers in the links that I posted decides he/she wants to get out now, then someone could get a very nice deal on a very nice car.

There are a lot of Cobras on the market. ERA's, SPF's, BDR's, KMP's, and CSX's.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Hey, I'm still thinking about that Copper Kirkham. Hubba, hubba.

But priced at $125K or reasonable offer, it's WAY too much for me.
If I bought that car I'd have the body removed and replaced with aluminum. Then I'd have the body split so I could mount it on my wall like the piece of art that it is and sell the other half to some one else to do the same thing. I just can't see driving a Cobra with an extra heavy body no matter how one off cool and pretty it may be.

Steve
Old 04-07-2010, 10:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 707, 446ci FE
Not Ranked     

OTOH, copper is going for $3.50 a pound.

(runs away, cackling)

= Si Opus Quadratum vis, angulos praecidere noli. =
Old 04-07-2010, 10:13 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Copper Kirkham - It's 225 extra pounds evenly distributed from front to back. It would still weigh less than virtually all other offerings from other manufacturers.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat, but of course, it's too much money for me.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:59 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Added a few CSX eBay listings to my original post. A lot of very nice cars on the market right now, but certainly not bargain prices.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Go

one thing to remember is some of these cars are a decade old , 79k for a *roller* aluminum CSX in 96' - 39k for a glass . Prices on Cobra Registry . com for Kirkhams 84 500 , 87 500 , 68 800(is that the one Flips' # 178 ) , 75k and 82k not sure if those are asking prices and sorry there all sold .
SDR
________
INDICA STRAINS

Last edited by somedayaurora; 02-21-2011 at 04:23 PM..
Old 04-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Rodknock, are you saying I'm supposed to POLISH my painted car?? Now there's a concept, last time that happened I paid someone to do it. If theres a car show coming up, I usually find the time to wash it, but not always...

You'll find me under it, looking for that illusive all original iron block side oiler,,,, leak.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Rodknock, are you saying I'm supposed to POLISH my painted car?? Now there's a concept, last time that happened I paid someone to do it. If theres a car show coming up, I usually find the time to wash it, but not always...

You'll find me under it, looking for that illusive all original iron block side oiler,,,, leak.
Washing and polishing paint is similar to washing and polishing aluminum

Though you would use different materials to get the job done.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well, if you had an alloy block, the search for that leak would probably go a lot easier, since an alloy block usually goes unpainted. Come on, you know you want one.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

I feel better about CSX 4985 every day.
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com